Sims 3 - Launcher error (on external HD). [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 3 - Launcher error (on external HD). [SOLVED]

Post by TudorQueen on Wed 15 May 2013, 18:11

Hi everyone!
So... I've been poking around this forum for 2 days now trying to find an asnwer to my problem and tried pretty much everything and still nothing! I'm ready to throw my computer out the window and then burn it! Evil or Very Mad
Now let's see if I can explain everything...

I ran out of room on my hard drive and, since I got an external WD Elements external HD for my birthday I decided to have my dream come true and install ALL the Sims 3 expansions and stuff packs on it. I did everything as usual, installed on the right letter for the external HD (following this http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly) and then aplied the ultimate fix as always. I've had some problems with my game before but those were usually fixable.
Now, when I try opening the game throught the desktop icon I get the old "the sims3 laucher found an error and needs to close". It doesn't even open the laucher!!! I tried opening it through the TSW.exe and got another error message (I0x0175dcbb've). I did all over again, applied the manual patch and followed all the instructions until I noticed that some people had trouble with WA and registry. THAT'S when I saw that my WA icon never appeared! So, I unistalled it, restarted my pc and installed it again - the icons appeared - and the laucher still gives me the same message only THIS time, when I tried TSW.exe the game opened!!! I was SO HAPPY!! and then, when it finished loading it says "some objects could not be loaded and where replaced", meaning = where the hell is all your CC?! Shocked I tried clicking on a pakcage to install it again and, obviously, he launcher didn't open. That's when I noticed that the CC and mods are supposed to be in a "my documents" folder but the game never created that folder in the first place.

So, after all this, here are my questions:
1 - can you PLEASE help me get the laucher to open

2 - Is there something I'm doing wrong when installing on an external HD??!

3 - If I did all right, and the "my documents" folder is not supposed to exist, where do I put my CC??!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!! As always, this forum is amazing!! Smile

//EDIT

I have all the latest cracks and fixes!! As well as the manual patch (1.50 I think).
TudorQueen
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Female Posts : 70

View user profile http://potion-master.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Sims 3 - Launcher error (on external HD). [SOLVED]

Post by Shamrock on Wed 15 May 2013, 18:38

People will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even though you can install the game on an external drive, your CC needs to be on your computer...
What I would suggest is do a clean of your computer registry, so that you're sure everything is gone properly. Use CCleaner.
And are you sure your desktop icon points to your external drive?

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!
Shamrock
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TudorQueen on Wed 15 May 2013, 18:42

@Shamrock wrote:People will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even though you can install the game on an external drive, your CC needs to be on your computer...
What I would suggest is do a clean of your computer registry, so that you're sure everything is gone properly. Use CCleaner.
And are you sure your desktop icon points to your external drive?

I'll try the CCcleaner Smile do I need to unistall everything again for that? Shocked
As for the icons, yes, I'm sure. When I installed the games I chose personalization and changed the folder to the esternal HD. He asked if I wanted to create a dektop icon and I said yes. =)
TudorQueen
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 15 May 2013, 18:45

@TudorQueen wrote:Hi everyone!
So... I've been poking around this forum for 2 days now trying to find an asnwer to my problem and tried pretty much everything and still nothing! I'm ready to throw my computer out the window and then burn it! Evil or Very Mad
Now let's see if I can explain everything...

I ran out of room on my hard drive and, since I got an external WD Elements external HD for my birthday I decided to have my dream come true and install ALL the Sims 3 expansions and stuff packs on it. I did everything as usual, installed on the right letter for the external HD (following this http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly) and then aplied the ultimate fix as always. I've had some problems with my game before but those were usually fixable.
Now, when I try opening the game throught the desktop icon I get the old "the sims3 laucher found an error and needs to close". It doesn't even open the laucher!!! I tried opening it through the TSW.exe and got another error message (I0x0175dcbb've). I did all over again, applied the manual patch and followed all the instructions until I noticed that some people had trouble with WA and registry. THAT'S when I saw that my WA icon never appeared! So, I unistalled it, restarted my pc and installed it again - the icons appeared - and the laucher still gives me the same message only THIS time, when I tried TSW.exe the game opened!!! I was SO HAPPY!! and then, when it finished loading it says "some objects could not be loaded and where replaced", meaning = where the hell is all your CC?! Shocked I tried clicking on a pakcage to install it again and, obviously, he launcher didn't open. That's when I noticed that the CC and mods are supposed to be in a "my documents" folder but the game never created that folder in the first place.

So, after all this, here are my questions:
1 - can you PLEASE help me get the laucher to open

2 - Is there something I'm doing wrong when installing on an external HD??!

3 - If I did all right, and the "my documents" folder is not supposed to exist, where do I put my CC??!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!! As always, this forum is amazing!! Smile

//EDIT

I have all the latest cracks and fixes!! As well as the manual patch (1.50 I think).

Hello there,

To begin with, you should keep in mind that your external hard-drive (unless it's a newer model) is not as fast as an internal one; moreover, these drives tend to get hot very quickly. And the most important thing is that if you have a Windows OS, you should NOT unplug your external drive because it could be assigned a new letter, which in turn will likely make the game unplayable (which is another practical disadvantage); and I don't know how Mac computers handle this issue.

But OK, if you don't have any other options, then try this:
-Read this article here very carefully: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall
Keep in mind that you want to have a clean uninstall of your Sims 3 game & expansions, so pay attention especially to the part with deleting the registry keys!

-After you've done that you should normally go to your "main" hard drive and then to Documents/Electronic Arts/. Inside, rename the folder with the name "The Sims 3" (example: "The Sims 3_"). After that don't touch that folder!

-Now re-install all the stuff; and never plug out that external drive!

-Start the game and see if you have any problems.

Good luck for now!

//EDIT

Btw. I personally recommend deleting registry keys manually. Keep in mind that these registry cleaners 1) may not be able to clean remnants of the Sims and 2) they can do more damage than good.

Wink

Last edited by Carlos G. on Fri 17 May 2013, 00:51; edited 2 times in total

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock on Wed 15 May 2013, 18:50

Also, use this video with your registry.

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!
Shamrock
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TudorQueen on Wed 15 May 2013, 18:54

@Shamrock wrote:People will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even though you can install the game on an external drive, your CC needs to be on your computer...

I think so too, but the folder never appears...

Hello there,

To begin with, you should keep
in mind that your external hard-drive (unless it's a newer model) is not
as fast as an internal one; moreover, these drives tend to get hot very
quickly. And the most important thing is that if you have a Windows OS,
you should NOT unplug your external drive (which is another practical
disadvantage); and I don't know how Mac computers handle this issue.

But OK, if you don't have any other options, then try this:
-Read this article here very carefully: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall#After_the_Uninstall
Keep
in mind that you want to have a clean uninstall of your Sims 3 game
& expansions, so pay attention especially to the part with deleting
the registry keys!

-After you've done that you should normally go
to your "main" hard drive and then to Documents/Electronic Arts/.
Inside, rename the folder with the name "The Sims 3" (example: "The Sims
3_"). After that don't touch that folder!

-Now re-install all the stuff; and never plug out that external drive!

-Start the game and see if you have any problems.

Good luck for now!

//EDIT

Btw.
I personally recommend deleting registry keys manually. Keep in mind
that these registry cleaners 1) may not be able to clean remnants of the
Sims and 2) they can do more damage than good.

Wink

Ok! I'll give it a try! Thanks everyone!
By the way, I'm using Window XP - forgot to mention it Razz
TudorQueen
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Thu 16 May 2013, 21:36

Hello,

The folder in "Documents" doesn't appear until you start the game for the first time.
As for your registry error, I suspect that your external drive was assigned a different letter when you started it up again. If that happens again, do this:
-Rightclick "my computer" in your start menu and select "manage"
-Go to "drive management"
-Find the external HD and right click to change the drive letter

Make sure that letter hasn't been assigned yet though.

Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15118

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 17 May 2013, 20:07

Another thing: even if you have your base game and/or expansions installed on an external drive, your "The Sims 3" folder will normally be in your MAIN hard-drive (usually "C"). So you should make sure that you have enough space on "C" for your saves, and even more if you want to install ".sims3packs" or ".package"-files (=custom content or mods). I can't give you an exact figure, but I'd recommend having at least 1.5 GB for savefiles and another 4 GB if you want to install lots of CC.

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Sat 18 May 2013, 11:47

Hello,

I recommend even more free space on C. Aside from your saves and cc/store content, a full C drive can cause problems with your system. I'd like to keep at least a few GB free on C at all times.

Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15118

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TudorQueen on Sat 18 May 2013, 18:52

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the late reply. I finally got my game to work! Very Happy My computer started giving a lot of errors and messages and I had to end up formatting it... Then I tried installing on the external HD again and the laucher would open but not the game. In the end I ended up joining the C: and D: drives in one and I now have enough space to play the game on the computer (drive C:) and keep my files and data on the external HD Wink
SO it all worked out!! Thank you so much again!! You're awesome!! Very Happy

Helper edit: I'm glad to hear that you - more or less - managed to fix the problem yourself Wink. You might still want to keep in mind our suggestions here for future reference, though. Alright, happy simming! Topic closed.

- Carlos G.
TudorQueen
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Back to top Go down