Is it normal that clearing the cache files deletes my game?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it normal that clearing the cache files deletes my game?

Post by Minorinrin on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:03

This isn't really a problem since I've solved it now, but a few days ago I went to clear the caches and I deleted these files : DCBackup, DCCache, WorldCaches, CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package and socialCache.package. But when I launched my games one of my saves had disappeared ! All my custom worlds were also gone, I only had Sunset Valley. I restored only the WorldCaches folder but it didn't seem to do anything, so I restored all the folders and files I had deleted and when I launched the game again, the missing save was back.
Is that normal? I'm pretty sure deleting those files and folders isn't supposed to harm the game. I'm also 100% positive I have only deleted those files and not any other folder I'm not supposed to remove.

Helper edit: Topic moved to "The Sims (3) in-game problems".

- Carlos G.

Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Tomb Raider, The Sims, Assassin's Creed, Deadpool, Slender
Female Posts : 37

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it normal that clearing the cache files deletes my game?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:17

@Minorinrin wrote:This isn't really a problem since I've solved it now, but a few days ago I went to clear the caches and I deleted these files : DCBackup, DCCache, WorldCaches, CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package and socialCache.package. But when I launched my games one of my saves had disappeared ! All my custom worlds were also gone, I only had Sunset Valley. I restored only the WorldCaches folder but it didn't seem to do anything, so I restored all the folders and files I had deleted and when I launched the game again, the missing save was back.
Is that normal? I'm pretty sure deleting those files and folders isn't supposed to harm the game. I'm also 100% positive I have only deleted those files and not any other folder I'm not supposed to remove.

Hello,

For future reference, these are the "unnecessary cache files" Wink:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-simCompositorCache.package
-socialCache.package
-plus the contents of the folders "WorldCaches" & "Thumbnails"

You should only delete DCBackup, DCCache and Installed Worlds in "emergencies". As an example, let's say if you have problems with (un-)installing your ".sims3pack"-files.

DCCache
basically contains the .sims3packs that are installed in your game. DCBackup is...well, the "backup" of DCCache. And Installed Worlds contains the neighbourhoods you installed
Wink. Also: if one of either DCCache OR Installed Worlds is deleted, the world will probably vanish too.

//EDIT

Your save probably vanished, because it was saved in a neighbourhood which is not included in one of the expansions - that's a so-called "downloadable neighbourhood" then: Riverview, Barnacle Bay, Hidden Springs, Lunar Lakes, Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Aurora Skies or Dragon Valley.

And as you deleted the DCCache, the world necessary for the savefile probably disappeared too.

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14066

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Minorinrin on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:31

Oh, I see. I didn't delete the Installed Worlds folder but I didn't know DCCache had anything to do with custom worlds.
I thought something was wrong with my game (again...) but thankfully it's nothing, thank you for your answer ! Very Happy

Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Tomb Raider, The Sims, Assassin's Creed, Deadpool, Slender
Female Posts : 37

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 23:36

@Minorinrin wrote:Oh, I see. I didn't delete the Installed Worlds folder but I didn't know DCCache had anything to do with custom worlds.
I thought something was wrong with my game (again...) but thankfully it's nothing, thank you for your answer ! Very Happy

I know you didn't delete "Installed Worlds". The reason I mentioned it was only to remind you of it Wink.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14066

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TUN3R on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 01:04

No. However accidentally deleting something you shouldn't have is quite normal.

For future reference: The DELETE key sends the files to the Recycle Bin, they aren't actually gone, whereas SHIFT + DELETE sends them to Jesus.

TUN3R
BANNED
BANNED

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Male Posts : 646

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 09:48

Yes, if you read carefully I usually mention something about having no CC or saved game: the DCCache contains CC data, and DCBackup saving data...
Other than that, the rest of the cache can be cleared without a problem! But you shouldn't need to do it except if you get problems with your game...

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!
Shamrock
Forum Moderator
Taking care of the Forum
Forum Moderator Taking care of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum