Opinions on reinstalling?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by gatecrazy on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 04:19

Not sure where I should be posting this question so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have decided to do a fresh clean install and my question is this. I have a few of the older expansion packs that were downloaded from elsewhere before I found this site. They seemed to work when I played the game. If there was anything wrong with them would they still work? I didn't want to redownload them from here unless there was a real need. Is it possible for the game to work even if something's corrupted in it? Don't know much about how that kind of stuff works. scratch
avatar
gatecrazy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3!
Female Posts : 86
Points : 2050
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 04:25

@gatecrazy wrote:Not sure where I should be posting this question so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have decided to do a fresh clean install and my question is this. I have a few of the older expansion packs that were downloaded from elsewhere before I found this site. They seemed to work when I played the game. If there was anything wrong with them would they still work? I didn't want to redownload them from here unless there was a real need. Is it possible for the game to work even if something's corrupted in it? Don't know much about how that kind of stuff works. scratch

Hello there,

There is no answer/solution to this, which works in all cases. I have myself downloaded my first few expansions from elsewhere (not from G4TW), and meanwhile I have the rest downloaded from here - now I have all expansions and everything works fine.

As for that theoretical problem, it depends. Should there be a problem with corrupt saves, cache files, or incompatible mods/custom content; then it is (mostly) enough if you go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/ and rename or remove the folder "The Sims 3" (restart the game after that to see if anything changed).

In other cases though, you might indeed have to un-install everything (base game + all expansions).

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19693
Reputation : 2095
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by gatecrazy on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 04:30

Carlos G. wrote:
@gatecrazy wrote:Not sure where I should be posting this question so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have decided to do a fresh clean install and my question is this. I have a few of the older expansion packs that were downloaded from elsewhere before I found this site. They seemed to work when I played the game. If there was anything wrong with them would they still work? I didn't want to redownload them from here unless there was a real need. Is it possible for the game to work even if something's corrupted in it? Don't know much about how that kind of stuff works. scratch

Hello there,

There is no answer/solution to this, which works in all cases. I have myself downloaded my first few expansions from elsewhere (not from G4TW), and meanwhile I have the rest downloaded from here - now I have all expansions and everything works fine.

As for that theoretical problem, it depends. Should there be a problem with corrupt saves, cache files, or incompatible mods/custom content; then it is (mostly) enough if you go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/ and rename or remove the folder "The Sims 3" (restart the game after that to see if anything changed).

In other cases though, you might indeed have to un-install everything (base game + all expansions).
Okay then if I remove "The Sims 3 " folder and start everything up will that have effectively uninstalled all the store content?
avatar
gatecrazy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3!
Female Posts : 86
Points : 2050
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 04:40

What I usually suggest is to just RENAME that folder. Why ? Because then you have the two folders in one place:

1) "The Sims 3".....that's your (active) "user data" - containing all your mods, savefiles, custom content, etc.

2)"The Sims 3_backup".....that's an example of a re-named folder. This is basically "deactivated" (because it was renamed).

Now that you have the two folders, you can easily transfer your old stuff from the old backup folder to the new one.

For example, at first, you just put in your old savefiles. If you see that everything is working. Exit the game. Now you go on with your mods, put them back into the new folder, start the game, and see if this causes problems, etc.


Yes, if you rename that folder, all your saves, mods + custom content will be gone. But you need to do that in order to find out if your game doesn't have any more serious problems (which could require an un-install). So after you rename that folder you can again start the game, make a temporary new savefile, let it load, and then just exit the game. Now you can proceed with putting things back in like I mentioned above.

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19693
Reputation : 2095
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by gatecrazy on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 04:56

Hmm. I might try that first. If there's nothing wrong with my game then I won't reinstall everything. My issue isn't even really that big it just bugs me because I'm picky like that. Thanks for the suggestion.
avatar
gatecrazy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3!
Female Posts : 86
Points : 2050
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 27 Jun 2013, 05:21

@gatecrazy wrote:Hmm. I might try that first. If there's nothing wrong with my game then I won't reinstall everything. My issue isn't even really that big it just bugs me because I'm picky like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can post that issue in the "In-game problems" section, if you want to. Wink

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19693
Reputation : 2095
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinions on reinstalling?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum