Keeping all that CC and store stuff manageable

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keeping all that CC and store stuff manageable

Post by Kalisa424 on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 04:24

I just thought I would share my system for keeping things organized. It works well for me so I hope it might for you guys as well.

First of all, when the game loads it looks in your "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" folder to see what extra Censored  you want it to deal with. This is where all your downloads, screenshots, saved sims, saved games, mods, etc. are stored. It will ignore anything else in the Electronic Arts folder. That's where the trick lies.

Step #1. Rename your "The Sims 3" folder to something else. Like "The Sims 3 Backup" or anything you like. Name it Ralph if you want. Smile

Step #2. Start the game using the launcher. It will try to find your "The Sims 3" folder. It can't because you renamed it. So it will create a brand new, factory fresh, virginal folder. Never before tainted by any outside files or mods. (By the way, you can try this first instead of a complete re-install. It usually solves most problems.)

Step #3. Setup the options however you like them but don't start a new game. Just close it.

Step #4. Now you make a copy of that new folder and name it "The Sims 3 Fresh" or whatever you like. Never use this folder again except to copy it.

Step #5. Now, my trick is to use a new folder for each game. Only installing the worlds, CC, mods, store stuff, etc. that I will be using in that game. For example, If I intend to play an island themed game I don't need to wade through tons of sci-fi and steampunk stuff. Or wait to load all my store stuff that I won't be using on an island. I'll just install things like Sunlit tides, all my tiki stuff, beach stuff, beach clothing, etc. If I decide to play a Gothic or Supernatural theme I just rename that folder to "Island" Start a fresh folder and install all my gothic stuff.

After getting it all setup and installed it's very easy to just rename a folder. Much faster than waiting for all the store items I snagged from G4TW to load. Smile

Here is a pic of my folder to show you what I mean and some of the themes I use. I hope some of you find this helpful.

Kalisa424
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Second Life
Female Posts : 98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeping all that CC and store stuff manageable

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 05:22

@Kalisa424 wrote:I just thought I would share my system for keeping things organized. It works well for me so I hope it might for you guys as well.

First of all, when the game loads it looks in your "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" folder to see what extra Censored  you want it to deal with. This is where all your downloads, screenshots, saved sims, saved games, mods, etc. are stored. It will ignore anything else in the Electronic Arts folder. That's where the trick lies.

Step #1. Rename your "The Sims 3" folder to something else. Like "The Sims 3 Backup" or anything you like. Name it Ralph if you want. Smile

Step #2. Start the game using the launcher. It will try to find your "The Sims 3" folder. It can't because you renamed it. So it will create a brand new, factory fresh, virginal folder. Never before tainted by any outside files or mods. (By the way, you can try this first instead of a complete re-install. It usually solves most problems.)

Step #3. Setup the options however you like them but don't start a new game. Just close it.

Step #4. Now you make a copy of that new folder and name it "The Sims 3 Fresh" or whatever you like. Never use this folder again except to copy it.

Step #5. Now, my trick is to use a new folder for each game. Only installing the worlds, CC, mods, store stuff, etc. that I will be using in that game. For example, If I intend to play an island themed game I don't need to wade through tons of sci-fi and steampunk stuff. Or wait to load all my store stuff that I won't be using on an island. I'll just install things like Sunlit tides, all my tiki stuff, beach stuff, beach clothing, etc. If I decide to play a Gothic or Supernatural theme I just rename that folder to "Island" Start a fresh folder and install all my gothic stuff.

After getting it all setup and installed it's very easy to just rename a folder. Much faster than waiting for all the store items I snagged from G4TW to load. Smile

Hello there,

The idea sounds interesting, but as you (indirectly) mentioned, this is probably most relevant for those who have LOTS of CC. About the thing with the different folders with separate "themes": I wouldn't do that, because in Build/Buy-mode I have some filter options anyway (there is the option to filter items according to expansion packs). And in CAS, well I can deal with the loading times. Laughing  Also, I wouldn't want to constantly rename that "Sims 3" folder, but that's of course a matter of taste, and yes it does have the advantage of the loading going a bit faster. Wink

Nice idea !

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN ModeratorInspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Male Posts : 12273

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum