My game is completely broken..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My game is completely broken..

Post by Mysticelfje on Fri 16 Aug 2013, 20:54

I'll start with my current issue, then explain how I got here. 
My game gives an 'initialization failed' error upon starting. It also gives an error message when I attempt to uninstall. Manually I was able to uninstall all the expansion packs but not the base game. I removed all the maps and registry keys for it and then attempted to reinstall it (with a storebought cd) but an error pops up stating it is incompatible with the installed patch. So basically I am stuck.

I have done a registry and system clean, I have done a backup recovery to two different dates where the game still worked fine. No luck.
I have taken the packages folder out, taken the entire mods folder out, reinstalled all the important mods, cleared all the caches. No luck.
I also got rid of the corrupted save game (see below). No luck there either.

More details:
The game ran fine on my computer, specs are definitely not the problem. I have the base game on cd and 3 expansion packs that I purchased through Origin (Ambitions, Pets, and Supernatural). A few months back I installed all other expansion packs from here. They all worked fine, including Island Paradise. I also downloaded a bunch of items from moreawesomethanyou - all also worked as they should.

The problems started yesterday when my game (on IP) crashed twice when entering buy mode. This morning I could start the game but when I attempted to play either that saved game or start a new game on IP it crashed. I then uninstalled and reinstalled IP (after checking it was not a mod-related issue) but to no avail. I then accidentally (but, ironically, succesfully) uninstalled all games - so including the base game. But then (mistake?) I used system recovery thinking that if I went back to a date the game still worked I wouldn't have to install them all over again..

So now I cannot play and I cannot uninstall. Even though it was all working fine two days ago. Can you help me fix this?

Mysticelfje
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My game is completely broken..

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 16 Aug 2013, 21:15

Mysticelfje wrote:I'll start with my current issue, then explain how I got here. 
My game gives an 'initialization failed' error upon starting. It also gives an error message when I attempt to uninstall. Manually I was able to uninstall all the expansion packs but not the base game. I removed all the maps and registry keys for it and then attempted to reinstall it (with a storebought cd) but an error pops up stating it is incompatible with the installed patch. So basically I am stuck.

I have done a registry and system clean, I have done a backup recovery to two different dates where the game still worked fine. No luck.
I have taken the packages folder out, taken the entire mods folder out, reinstalled all the important mods, cleared all the caches. No luck.
I also got rid of the corrupted save game (see below). No luck there either.

More details:
The game ran fine on my computer, specs are definitely not the problem. I have the base game on cd and 3 expansion packs that I purchased through Origin (Ambitions, Pets, and Supernatural). A few months back I installed all other expansion packs from here. They all worked fine, including Island Paradise. I also downloaded a bunch of items from moreawesomethanyou - all also worked as they should.

The problems started yesterday when my game (on IP) crashed twice when entering buy mode. This morning I could start the game but when I attempted to play either that saved game or start a new game on IP it crashed. I then uninstalled and reinstalled IP (after checking it was not a mod-related issue) but to no avail. I then accidentally (but, ironically, succesfully) uninstalled all games - so including the base game. But then (mistake?) I used system recovery thinking that if I went back to a date the game still worked I wouldn't have to install them all over again..

So now I cannot play and I cannot uninstall. Even though it was all working fine two days ago. Can you help me fix this?
Hello,

Please try a manual clean un-install, following the guide here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall

Alternatively, you might want to try "Your Un-installer Pro!", available as a torrent download from here: http://www.games4theworld.org/downloads.html  After installing that software, go to the "Advanced Un-install"-button. Now, a window will pop up. Click on anything which says "Sims 3" - and then click on "Uninstall".

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14472

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysticelfje on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 14:22

Thanks! With the uninstaller you suggested I was able to succesfully uninstall the game completely. I then ran the disk cleaner function and a virus scan, then reinstalled the base game. It installed correctly and the launcher opened and installed the latest patch. But now the launcher gives an error and when I attempt to start the game directly I still get the 'initialization failed' error! Even though this is only the base game, installed from a cd.

Mysticelfje
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 14:59

Mysticelfje wrote:Thanks! With the uninstaller you suggested I was able to succesfully uninstall the game completely. I then ran the disk cleaner function and a virus scan, then reinstalled the base game. It installed correctly and the launcher opened and installed the latest patch. But now the launcher gives an error and when I attempt to start the game directly I still get the 'initialization failed' error! Even though this is only the base game, installed from a cd.
Hello again,

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Look at #1 of the instructions; in order to use the "Ultimate fix" from "Games4TheWorld", you need at least one of the expansions mentioned there.

Island Paradise, University Life, 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff, Seasons, Supernatural, Diesel Stuff, Katy Perry Sweet Treats, Showtime, Master Suite Stuff, Pets, Town Life Stuff, Generations.

So install at least one of the mentioned expansions. Afterwards re-apply the manual patch (even if it says your game is up-to-date already).

At the end, apply the "Ultimate fix", as described in step #4 of the guide that I posted above.

Good luck !

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysticelfje on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 15:07

But..this is a legal version. Storebought cd. And it is all I have installed now. I uninstalled and reinstalled again and it worked fine without the patch - installed the patch (through the launcher) and it gives the error again.

Mysticelfje
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 15:19

Mysticelfje wrote:But..this is a legal version. Storebought cd. And it is all I have installed now. I uninstalled and reinstalled again and it worked fine without the patch - installed the patch (through the launcher) and it gives the error again.
If you want to play only the base game, then read this: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Scroll down, and download the "Mod Framework". Extract the content from the download. Put the folder "Mods" into the following location: My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3.

Now go to this here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/NoCD  Click on where it says "Base mod". After downloading that file ("NoCD.package"), put the file into My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages. Then try starting the game.

But if you can't or don't want to download other expansions from here: http://www.games4theworld.org/downloads.html  then I don't know what else you could do. Normally, most people here download quite a few of the expansions, then use the so-called Ultimate fix.

Again, you can also (re-)download the "manual patch" from here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1870-can-t-update-the-sims-3-to-v155-fix-manual-patch. Then follow the steps from 2 to 4 from here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysticelfje on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:06

I'm not getting you. I have the base game on an official, storebought cd. It works after I install it, then I let the launcher download the patch and it doesn't work anymore. I have no idea why I should need several downloads to make a legal version of the game work properly. 

I do intend eventually to download all the expansion packs again, but I'm not doing that when my game is already broken. I know how to correctly install those downloaded expansion packs and use the ultimate fix and so on, I did that before without problems.

My issue right now is that I have an official base game with an official patch update that refuses to work, and I don't see why I would need unofficial downloads to fix that..

(I do appreciate you helping! I'm just not understanding you right now, is all)

Mysticelfje
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:06

Mysticelfje wrote:I'm not getting you. I have the base game on an official, storebought cd. It works after I install it, then I let the launcher download the patch and it doesn't work anymore. I have no idea why I should need several downloads to make a legal version of the game work properly. 

I do intend eventually to download all the expansion packs again, but I'm not doing that when my game is already broken. I know how to correctly install those downloaded expansion packs and use the ultimate fix and so on, I did that before without problems.

My issue right now is that I have an official base game with an official patch update that refuses to work, and I don't see why I would need unofficial downloads to fix that..

(I do appreciate you helping! I'm just not understanding you right now, is all)
Can you try to run the "manual patch" ? Please download it from here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1870-can-t-update-the-sims-3-to-v155-fix-manual-patch

After downloading double-click on the file. And then, insert you bought CD - and try to start the game then; maybe it will work.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum