GTA IV Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GTA IV Question

Post by BitterSweet on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 00:20

Hey there!

I just wanted to ask everyone a quick question about my GTA IV game. To start with, I didn't pirate it. I bought it for my PC and added on a few mods and the mod menu tool. It worked like a charm and I never had any problems with it. But suddenly, out of the blue, when I started up my game and loaded my current save, it randomly crashed and said "GTA IV has stopped working". I was really confused! I never had a single problem before I added on mods, so it couldn't be the game itself.  I never had any problems with mods either. I  tried everything I could to find a fix, but nothing ever seemed to work... not even re installing it. No It really disappointed me, since I really had a good time playing GTA IV. Since I couldn't find a fix, I just uninstalled it because it would just take up space for nothing. I'm interested in playing it again, so I decided to try and fix it again. of course, nothing on the internet could help me, so I might as well ask you guys! If anyone might have somewhat of an idea on how to fix it, don't be afraid to share! I'm honestly up for trying anything. Thanks guys!

-BitterSweet

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, Hitman: Absolution, and many more I'm too lazy to name xD
Female Posts : 124

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GTA IV Question

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 01:12

BitterSweet wrote:
Hey there!

I just wanted to ask everyone a quick question about my GTA IV game. To start with, I didn't pirate it. I bought it for my PC and added on a few mods and the mod menu tool. It worked like a charm and I never had any problems with it. But suddenly, out of the blue, when I started up my game and loaded my current save, it randomly crashed and said "GTA IV has stopped working". I was really confused! I never had a single problem before I added on mods, so it couldn't be the game itself.  I never had any problems with mods either. I  tried everything I could to find a fix, but nothing ever seemed to work... not even re installing it. No It really disappointed me, since I really had a good time playing GTA IV. Since I couldn't find a fix, I just uninstalled it because it would just take up space for nothing. I'm interested in playing it again, so I decided to try and fix it again. of course, nothing on the internet could help me, so I might as well ask you guys! If anyone might have somewhat of an idea on how to fix it, don't be afraid to share! I'm honestly up for trying anything. Thanks guys!

-BitterSweet
Hey BitterSweet,

I don't have GTA IV installed (and I would have to test that game and the mods you are using myself), but there may be one or two things I can think of.

For a start, I have heard of similar problems with other games (e.g. Saints Row IV), which were caused by all sorts of anti-virus/"security" software. By that, you should not only think about your primary anti-virus program, but also things like this "Windows Defender" and generally everything that is designed for "security" of your computer. So you can try shutting down all of that software completely, and add your whole "Program files(x86)" folder to the "exceptions" of the software. The point is, the software may have quarantined/deleted/modified something inside your game installation folder.

Beyond that, there are (of course) more obvious things. Are you sure your mods actually *work* ? As crazy as it sounds, it's even possible that the stuff you downloaded only works up to a certain point in the game.

If you are sure about that, try re-downloading the mods too; maybe your "security" software also affected them.

So far these are my thoughts. Maybe someone else who played that gamed can come up with more specialized hints, though. Wat. 

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xJ3rian on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 04:32

If I remember the PC port sucked, which might have caused many problems in starting the game, but since I use a "Cracked" version, I use LaunchGTAIV.exe, which you probably don't use, but maybe this might help.

Right Click on GTA IV-->Create Shortcut
Right Click on GTA IV Shortcut--> Properties
Add -norestrictions -nomemrestrict at the end of the target

Looked like this for me: "[..]\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -norestrictions -nomemrestrict

xJ3rian
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, GTA IV/Vice City/San Andreas, Counter Strike, Battlefield 3
Male Posts : 54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 20:43

Hello there,

This problem sounds familiar. I used to enjoy GTA IV a lot too and then decided to add some mods. Used those for a good few months and really enjoyed the game.
Then suddenly the game decided to not launch at all. After logging in to Social Club, it'd just give the "There was a problem bla bla...". I removed all the Mods, COMPLETELY removed the game, Social Club, reinstall everything over and over. Eventually I was clueless and just stopped playing the game, which was sad. It looked like the only solution was reinstalling Windows.

Anyway, after more than a year - God, don't ask me why it took so long - I decided to do a good Interwebz search. Not long after that, I happened to find a post on a Forum somewhere that FINALLY fixed my issue.
Not completely sure what the fix was, but I think it's this:

1. Go to the folder where you installed the game to. (If installed via Steam, it's: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV )
2. Right-click on the file called "GTAIV.exe" and choose "Properties".
3. Now navigate to the "Compatibility" tab and change the settings so that the program runs in "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode. Also check the "Run this program as an administrator" box.
4. Click "OK" and test the game.

If it works, you can also use your mods just fine again!

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by BitterSweet on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 04:51

Admin wrote:Hello there,

This problem sounds familiar. I used to enjoy GTA IV a lot too and then decided to add some mods. Used those for a good few months and really enjoyed the game.
Then suddenly the game decided to not launch at all. After logging in to Social Club, it'd just give the "There was a problem bla bla...". I removed all the Mods, COMPLETELY removed the game, Social Club, reinstall everything over and over. Eventually I was clueless and just stopped playing the game, which was sad. It looked like the only solution was reinstalling Windows.

Anyway, after more than a year - God, don't ask me why it took so long - I decided to do a good Interwebz search. Not long after that, I happened to find a post on a Forum somewhere that FINALLY fixed my issue.
Not completely sure what the fix was, but I think it's this:

1. Go to the folder where you installed the game to. (If installed via Steam, it's: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto IV\GTAIV )
2. Right-click on the file called "GTAIV.exe" and choose "Properties".
3. Now navigate to the "Compatibility" tab and change the settings so that the program runs in "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode. Also check the "Run this program as an administrator" box.
4. Click "OK" and test the game.

If it works, you can also use your mods just fine again!

Hello, Admin!

Sorry that it took so long for me to reply, but I decided to give your fix a try. An error popped up that said "GTA IV FATAL ERROR:DFA did not initialize properly. Please make sure you are using LaunchGTAIV.exe to launch the game" However, I can't due to the fact that my LaunchGTAIV.exe crashes with the same "GTAIV.exe has stopped working"  No

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, Hitman: Absolution, and many more I'm too lazy to name xD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 19:30

Hello,

Did you change the compatibility of all the .exe files in that folder?

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series

Back to top Go down

Post by BitterSweet on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 23:37

Admin wrote:Hello,

Did you change the compatibility of all the .exe files in that folder?

Hello again!

The GTA IV.exe was the only .exe in the GTAIV folder that would let me change it's compatibility, so I'm assuming yes?  Wat.

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 23:52

Hello,

No, there should be about 4 .exe files in the "GTAIV" folder, called: gta4Browser.exe, gtaEncoder.exe, GTAIV.exe and LaunchGTAIV.exe

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by BitterSweet on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 00:05

Admin wrote:Hello,

No, there should be about 4 .exe files in the "GTAIV" folder, called: gta4Browser.exe, gtaEncoder.exe, GTAIV.exe and LaunchGTAIV.exe

Ah, I see! My mistake! Laughing  Haha, well, I'm going to go ahead and edit the other .exes. Quick question though. LaunchGTAIV doesn't seem to have a compatibility tab on it's properties. Is there supposed to be a different way that I edit it? By the way, thanks for the amazing amount of help!  Surprised

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 16:49

Hi there,

Are you sure you're selecting the .exe "Executable file"? It works for me:

You're welcome. I hope it works for you too, but I can't guarantee that, unfortunately.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by BitterSweet on Fri 28 Mar 2014, 00:08

Admin wrote:Hi there,

Are you sure you're selecting the .exe "Executable file"? It works for me:

You're welcome. I hope it works for you too, but I can't guarantee that, unfortunately.

Yes, it is the LaunchGTAIV.exe, it doesn't appear to let me change my compatibility...  No

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 28 Mar 2014, 19:23

BitterSweet wrote:
Yes, it is the LaunchGTAIV.exe, it doesn't appear to let me change my compatibility...  No

Hey BitterSweet,

Can you right-click on that "LaunchGTAIV.exe", and choose Troubleshoot compatibility ? After a short while, choose the option Troubleshoot program. Then you'll get this:

Mark the first option The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now. Then this here appears:

Choose whatever setting you may want to try. In the next window, you'll get a button called "start program", which you should click on. 

See if the game runs. Whether it does or not, exit to the desktop again and click on "next". I think the next steps are self-explanatory - you should then choose "save settings" and exit the troubleshooter. After you exit the troubleshooter, please try running the game again.

I assume you're using Windows 8 ? That one seems to have lots of compatibility issues...personally I'm using Windows 7 (Ultimate) and I never had any issues, with any game. Do you experience similar problems, with other games or software ?

//EDIT

When you un-installed the game, did you make sure to un-install properly ? I.e. did you re-boot the computer after un-installing and did you make sure that the registry entries are gone too ?

Some un-install tools, like REVO Un-installer (look on Piratebay) or Your Un-installer Pro (available from G4TW) have options which automatically check the registry after un-installing - so that you only have to re-boot after un-installing. 

Good luck for now ! Smile 

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BitterSweet on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 05:49

Carlos wrote:
BitterSweet wrote:

Hey BitterSweet,

Can you right-click on that "LaunchGTAIV.exe", and choose Troubleshoot compatibility ? After a short while, choose the option Troubleshoot program. Then you'll get this:

Mark the first option The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now. Then this here appears:

Choose whatever setting you may want to try. In the next window, you'll get a button called "start program", which you should click on. 

See if the game runs. Whether it does or not, exit to the desktop again and click on "next". I think the next steps are self-explanatory - you should then choose "save settings" and exit the troubleshooter. After you exit the troubleshooter, please try running the game again.

I assume you're using Windows 8 ? That one seems to have lots of compatibility issues...personally I'm using Windows 7 (Ultimate) and I never had any issues, with any game. Do you experience similar problems, with other games or software ?

//EDIT

When you un-installed the game, did you make sure to un-install properly ? I.e. did you re-boot the computer after un-installing and did you make sure that the registry entries are gone too ?

Some un-install tools, like REVO Un-installer (look on Piratebay) or Your Un-installer Pro (available from G4TW) have options which automatically check the registry after un-installing - so that you only have to re-boot after un-installing. 

Good luck for now ! Smile 

Hi Carlos!

Thanks for the great tip! I decided to give your fix a shot. Everything seemed to be going well until I got to the "Test Program" part. When I try to use "Windows XP (Service pack 3)", it says "GTAIV FATAL ERROR: Windows XP: Need to have Service Pack 3 or higher to proceed. If it helps, that was the compatibility that I was supposed to run my game on to get it working. When I tried the other options, it just kept saying "SecuLauncher: failed to start application. [2000]". Before I forget, I have to use a shortcut version of LaunchGTAIV.exe because it fixed a known glitch to many called the "Infinite loading screen". It most likely doesn't make a difference, but I decided to include that just in case it could be screwing something up  Laughing  Any ideas?  Shocked 

I almost forgot! I originally uninstalled it on steam by right clicking on it and pressing "Delete Local Content" Or something like that. I'm not sure it that was right or wrong.  Wat. 

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 13:28

BitterSweet wrote:Hi Carlos!

Thanks for the great tip! I decided to give your fix a shot. Everything seemed to be going well until I got to the "Test Program" part. When I try to use "Windows XP (Service pack 3)", it says "GTAIV FATAL ERROR: Windows XP: Need to have Service Pack 3 or higher to proceed. If it helps, that was the compatibility that I was supposed to run my game on to get it working. When I tried the other options, it just kept saying "SecuLauncher: failed to start application. [2000]". Before I forget, I have to use a shortcut version of LaunchGTAIV.exe because it fixed a known glitch to many called the "Infinite loading screen". It most likely doesn't make a difference, but I decided to include that just in case it could be screwing something up  Laughing  Any ideas?  Shocked 

I almost forgot! I originally uninstalled it on steam by right clicking on it and pressing "Delete Local Content" Or something like that. I'm not sure it that was right or wrong.  Wat. 

Hi,

The way you deleted the game from Steam is also how I do it, occasionally. And there shouldn't be any issues if you re-install/re-download the game via Steam, but then, I haven't un-installed my Steam games that often. Maybe someone else has better advice on it.

I'm now tempted to suggest you get hold of a pirated version of GTA IV, and try installing that one. This whole thing with the "compatibility" sounded hard to believe to me from the start. If there was really a compatibility issue, you would have never managed to start the game probably, but you said you actually played that game for a while ?

I'm sorry I can't give you better advice for now, beyond the thing with pirating GTA IV, but I may get back to you, if I remember anything else that could help. Wat.

//EDIT

I guess you don't want to go through the hassle of a fresh Windows install ? That could be one (albeit very radical) solution. 

I still think that this mod you were using somehow screwed up your installation, and your registry too. You may want to give some of these registry cleaner tools a try, like "CCleaner" (google for that). Since I'm unfamiliar with that game, I can't tell you either what exactly you may have to look for in the registry. I do have a pirated copy of GTA IV myself, but I never bothered (until now) to install it. Laughing  But I don't think this could help me shed light on your issue, anyhow. Sad 

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BitterSweet on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 03:26

Howdy, people!

I am sooooo sorry for being gone for so freakishly long! Hehe, anyways, I finally managed to scrounge up a fix for my game! I am back in action! LOL! Anyways, I appreciate all the effort you guys managed to supply here. Thanks for the help! Oh, and if you'd guys like, I suppose I could explain the fix here or in a different topic or whatever. So yeah, see ya!!!

BitterSweet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:04

BitterSweet wrote:Howdy, people!

I am sooooo sorry for being gone for so freakishly long! Hehe, anyways, I finally managed to scrounge up a fix for my game! I am back in action! LOL! Anyways, I appreciate all the effort you guys managed to supply here. Thanks for the help! Oh, and if you'd guys like, I suppose I could explain the fix here or in a different topic or whatever. So yeah, see ya!!!

No problem. Smile  Feel free to post your solution in this topic, whenever you like. And thanks in advance for sharing that tip ! Very Happy  

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum