The Sims 3 crashes when changing length of seasons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 3 crashes when changing length of seasons

Post by urmom on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 22:44

I'm interested if anyone else has this issue, it would be nice to find a root of it. It's not a random crash from what I've noticed, it happens exclusively few in-game minutes after I change lengths of seasons. I usually disable winter and autumn and change summer's length to 21 days.

It was fine when I ran Sims on 1.50 patch with World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Seasons, 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff and University Life. Recently, I decided to update up to 1.67 (because that was the manual patch level you had on here) and I installed Pets and Island Paradise along with it, so that's when this crashing began.

I'm running this on AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3 GHz), 2 GB of RAM and GeForce 8400GS 512 MB. Abysmal configuration, but it does go a bit above minimum requirement. I do have everything set on low/turned off except for Sims detail level (medium) and resolution on 1024x768. Usually runs at decent 25-30 fps, but can go down to 15 or up to 45. However, I already excluded my graphic card as a cause of crashing, because I have tried lowering settings even further, and it crashed as soon as it did before (after changing season length).

DEP thing doesn't help, I don't have any mods and no custom content except for one neighborhood I made myself.

Running a beach resort is no fun when it's covered with snow half of the time.

urmom
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 53

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 3 crashes when changing length of seasons

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 12:32

@urmom wrote:I'm interested if anyone else has this issue, it would be nice to find a root of it. It's not a random crash from what I've noticed, it happens exclusively few in-game minutes after I change lengths of seasons. I usually disable winter and autumn and change summer's length to 21 days.

It was fine when I ran Sims on 1.50 patch with World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Seasons, 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff and University Life. Recently, I decided to update up to 1.67 (because that was the manual patch level you had on here) and I installed Pets and Island Paradise along with it, so that's when this crashing began.

I'm running this on AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3 GHz), 2 GB of RAM and GeForce 8400GS 512 MB. Abysmal configuration, but it does go a bit above minimum requirement. I do have everything set on low/turned off except for Sims detail level (medium) and resolution on 1024x768. Usually runs at decent 25-30 fps, but can go down to 15 or up to 45. However, I already excluded my graphic card as a cause of crashing, because I have tried lowering settings even further, and it crashed as soon as it did before (after changing season length).

DEP thing doesn't help, I don't have any mods and no custom content except for one neighborhood I made myself.

Running a beach resort is no fun when it's covered with snow half of the time.

Hello,

I guess your GPU drivers are already up-to-date ? It seems that the patch 1.67 screwed up again on a few things, for some people at least. Try going to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and look for the file Options.ini. There, look for the options...

springlength
summerlength
falllength
winterlength

and change the values next to them to whatever you like (maximum = 28, I think). Save the changes and exit the document. Next, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 delete all contents of the folder Currentgame.sims3.

Re-start the game and see if that affected anything. Good luck !

//EDIT

If that didn't change anything, then I'm unsure; but I may get back to you if I remember anything else.

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac, Military strategy games (Darkest Hour, Hearts of Iron, Arsenal of Democracy, etc.)
Male Posts : 14984

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by urmom on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 21:55

Drivers are up to date, yes.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try it as soon as I get some time. If it doesn't help, I'll also try installing nrass' error trap, maybe get the debug thing running so I know what's going on. I ordered new graphics card, that should be arriving in a day or two, so if graphics really are an issue, it will be fixed soon.

And if everything else fails, I'll just uninstall Seasons. I already got good value for money I paid ($0), so I can't really complain. I've had my fun.

//EDIT

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone has a similar problem, I want them to see it's resolved.

It turned out to be a graphics card problem after all. Doesn't make sense because I could play for hours on end, but as soon as I would change any setting related to Seasons, it would crash. New graphics card solved everything.

Crash log, exception info had this below it:
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000006
address: 0x72ba6efe "C:\Windows\system32\d3d9.dll":0x0001:0x00045efe

So if it mentions d3d9.dll (DirectX related) and you know your graphics card is awful, then you also know what needs to be replaced.

urmom
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 53

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 06:09

@urmom wrote:Drivers are up to date, yes.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try it as soon as I get some time. If it doesn't help, I'll also try installing nrass' error trap, maybe get the debug thing running so I know what's going on. I ordered new graphics card, that should be arriving in a day or two, so if graphics really are an issue, it will be fixed soon.

And if everything else fails, I'll just uninstall Seasons. I already got good value for money I paid ($0), so I can't really complain. I've had my fun.

//EDIT

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone has a similar problem, I want them to see it's resolved.

It turned out to be a graphics card problem after all. Doesn't make sense because I could play for hours on end, but as soon as I would change any setting related to Seasons, it would crash. New graphics card solved everything.

Crash log, exception info had this below it:
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000006
address: 0x72ba6efe "C:\Windows\system32\d3d9.dll":0x0001:0x00045efe

So if it mentions d3d9.dll (DirectX related) and you know your graphics card is awful, then you also know what needs to be replaced.

Hello again,

Thank you for sharing this ! Indeed, it looks like with the more recent game patches, EA modified a few things about the in-game graphics, and these changes require (slightly) higher GPU performance.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here. I'll still leave the topic open. Smile 

//EDIT

While I do remember that this glitch you were having was quite common when Seasons came out, I can't remember anymore what exactly caused this - whether it was only due to low-performing GPU's or other in-game factors. I may update the topic after doing some research.

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac, Military strategy games (Darkest Hour, Hearts of Iron, Arsenal of Democracy, etc.)
Male Posts : 14984

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum