Error 12 in every save

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Error 12 in every save

Post by coconatty on Wed 09 Apr 2014, 14:40

Hi there,

I am constantly getting Error 12 in every one of my saves, even if I make a brand new one. I am running Sims 3 on a 64bit system with 8GB RAM so my PC's memory shouldn't be an issue. I have tried moving the family to a new town with Nraas Porter, but I get the error in every save if I'm playing for more than an hour. I am sick of having to restart the game all the time, is there no other way to fix this? My PC should be more than able to handle Sims 3, and I never got the error before on all my past, crappy laptops so it seems crazy that this keeps happening.

coconatty
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Error 12 in every save

Post by Anonymousething on Wed 09 Apr 2014, 15:50

Hi!  Very Happy 

This is an extremely annoying error. What has worked for me and you could try is:
1. Trying "Save as..." instead of "Save"
2. Switching to Town View and then zooming back in again
3. Deleting all (or most of) the memories in the sims' scrapbooks
4. Quit the game and go to My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.Sims 3 and delete EVERTHING in that folder.

Have you tried any of these things before?  Otherwise look at: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t4523-the-sims-3-save-errors-fix-error-code-12-13-15-16-updated-24-11-2012 and http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t11543-sims-3-error-code-12 . This has nothing to do with the problem at hand, but you could look at this topic about adding everything to DEP / assigning more RAM, etc: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014 .

Some more experienced people will be able to offer more help, but maybe something here will help you.

Does anyone know the name of this old Mac game (from the '90s)? => It's similar to Lode Runner / Jumpman, except you're in space; the little man can jump / run / climb ladders and dies if he falls; he uses oxygen whilst moving, so he needs to get to the oxygen containers; he has to get to the key to open the door which wins the level; there are no enemies and nothing to kill you (unless you run off the end of a platform or run out of oxygen).

"Never pay more than 20$ for a computer game." Guybrush Threepwood (The Secret of Monkey Island)
Anonymousething
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : The Sims, Sim Ant, Lemmings, Solarian II, Shuffle Puck, Monkey Island, Robin Hood: The legend of Sherwood, LucasFilms/LucasArts games
Female Posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 05:51

@coconatty wrote:Hi there,

I am constantly getting Error 12 in every one of my saves, even if I make a brand new one. I am running Sims 3 on a 64bit system with 8GB RAM so my PC's memory shouldn't be an issue. I have tried moving the family to a new town with Nraas Porter, but I get the error in every save if I'm playing for more than an hour. I am sick of having to restart the game all the time, is there no other way to fix this? My PC should be more than able to handle Sims 3, and I never got the error before on all my past, crappy laptops so it seems crazy that this keeps happening.

Hello,

What Anonymousething suggested was good. Smile  But here's some elaboration: download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Like Anonymousething already said, now go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete all contents inside the Currentgame.sims3 folder. Also, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-simCompositorCache.package
-socialCache.package
-plus the contents of the folders "WorldCaches" & "Thumbnails"

Re-start the game then and see if anything improved. Good luck, and report back to us, if you can ! Smile 
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14062

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coconatty on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 14:17

@Anonymousething wrote:Hi!  Very Happy 

This is an extremely annoying error. What has worked for me and you could try is:
1. Trying "Save as..." instead of "Save"
2. Switching to Town View and then zooming back in again
3. Deleting all (or most of) the memories in the sims' scrapbooks
4. Quit the game and go to My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.Sims 3 and delete EVERTHING in that folder.

Have you tried any of these things before?  Otherwise look at: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t4523-the-sims-3-save-errors-fix-error-code-12-13-15-16-updated-24-11-2012 and http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t11543-sims-3-error-code-12 . This has nothing to do with the problem at hand, but you could look at this topic about adding everything to DEP / assigning more RAM, etc: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014 .

Some more experienced people will be able to offer more help, but maybe something here will help you.

Hi there! Thanks for helping! I've tried all of those things, none seem to really make a difference. If I don't get Error 12 it just crashes to the desktop anyway. I've removed and deleted all the memories with MC, that didn't change anything either. I also always delete all my caches and current game folder contents. As for what is suggested in those links, I've tried most of that stuff too except for lowering the graphics (I have a really good gaming PC... I don't see how that would be necessary Razz)

coconatty
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coconatty on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 14:20

Carlos wrote:
@coconatty wrote:Hi there,

Hello,

What Anonymousething suggested was good. Smile  But here's some elaboration: download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Like Anonymousething already said, now go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete all contents inside the Currentgame.sims3 folder. Also, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-socialCache.package

Re-start the game then and see if anything improved. Good luck, and report back to us, if you can ! Smile 

I always clear my caches, thanks for pointing out the patch to me though! It seems to have made a difference... I now get more crashes instead of error 12's!!

I also noticed it seems to happen mostly during or after CAS!

//EDIT

I downloaded the crash log analyzer and it says the crashes are all due to 'max memory used'!

coconatty
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 16 Apr 2014, 12:49

@coconatty wrote:
I always clear my caches, thanks for pointing out the patch to me though! It seems to have made a difference... I now get more crashes instead of error 12's!!

//EDIT

I downloaded the crash log analyzer and it says the crashes are all due to 'max memory used'!

Hello,

Just to make sure: have another look at this here and (re-)do the steps from #2 to #4: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Now, have a look at this other topic here and do all steps: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

If your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then focus on step #3 in particular. Download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Note that this method will not work if your Windows is a 32-bit version and/or if your computer has fewer  than 4 GB of RAM. After doing that, go on with the rest of the steps. These instructions should be pretty self-explanatory.

Now go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete all contents inside the Currentgame.sims3 folder. Also, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-socialCache.package

Re-start the game then and see if anything improved. You may even turn off your anti-virus program completely before playing The Sims 3.

Good luck !

P.S. this "crash log analyzer" tends to be very unreliable; if your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then there's not that much else you can do. But try all these steps I described now, and see if that improved anything. If not, please report back to us.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coconatty on Sat 19 Apr 2014, 17:34

Carlos wrote:
@coconatty wrote:

//EDIT

Hello,

Just to make sure: have another look at this here and (re-)do the steps from #2 to #4: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Now, have a look at this other topic here and do all steps: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

If your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then focus on step #3 in particular. Download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Note that this method will not work if your Windows is a 32-bit version and/or if your computer has fewer  than 4 GB of RAM. After doing that, go on with the rest of the steps. These instructions should be pretty self-explanatory.

Now go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete all contents inside the Currentgame.sims3 folder. Also, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-socialCache.package

Re-start the game then and see if anything improved. You may even turn off your anti-virus program completely before playing The Sims 3.

Good luck !

P.S. this "crash log analyzer" tends to be very unreliable; if your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then there's not that much else you can do. But try all these steps I described now, and see if that improved anything. If not, please report back to us.

Thank you for your help, I have done everything you suggested, still getting error 12's and CTD's Sad

I'm beginning to think it may be a memory leak issue on my PC in general, does this task manager screenshot look normal to you?

coconatty
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 19 Apr 2014, 19:23

@coconatty wrote:Thank you for your help, I have done everything you suggested, still getting error 12's and CTD's Sad

I'm beginning to think it may be a memory leak issue on my PC in general, does this task manager screenshot look normal to you?

Please close ALL open programs/applications before gaming. Wink  From your screenshot I can see that you have "Google Chrome" opened. You may even let your computer get checked for any virusses or malware/adware too, since these can significantly hamper your computer too. Good software for these things are, e.g., "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (look on Piratebay) and "Spybot Search and Destroy" (freeware, google for it).

Generally, un-install any unneeded programs from your computer, and free up some disk space too. After doing that, defragment your hard-drive.

See if any of these things helps you. Smile

//EDIT

Also, look on Piratebay for the tools "Advanced System Care" and "GameBooster". The former can help you with general computer maintenance like defragmenting the hard-drives, while the latter can help close unnecessary background programs, to improve your gaming experience.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymousething on Sat 19 Apr 2014, 20:20

Hi!

Sorry none of the suggestions worked.  Sad 

That's a lot of processes! What you can do (although be careful with this) is --> Open Start Menu --> Run --> type in msconfig & click OK --> click accept if you are using Windows 7 --> go to the Startup panel --> remove any unnecessary items such as: DivxUpdate, iTunes Helper, QTTask, etc. Google any processes you are unsure about. This can be dangerous, but it can help speed up your start up. It also reduces the number of tasks you have running.

Does anyone know the name of this old Mac game (from the '90s)? => It's similar to Lode Runner / Jumpman, except you're in space; the little man can jump / run / climb ladders and dies if he falls; he uses oxygen whilst moving, so he needs to get to the oxygen containers; he has to get to the key to open the door which wins the level; there are no enemies and nothing to kill you (unless you run off the end of a platform or run out of oxygen).

"Never pay more than 20$ for a computer game." Guybrush Threepwood (The Secret of Monkey Island)
Anonymousething
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : The Sims, Sim Ant, Lemmings, Solarian II, Shuffle Puck, Monkey Island, Robin Hood: The legend of Sherwood, LucasFilms/LucasArts games
Female Posts : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coconatty on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 01:23

Thank you, I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Advanced Systemcare Pro etc.

I found out it's not a memory leak in my system, the RAM use only goes up to 60% max when Sims 3 is running.

So now I tried all the steps here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/General+Issues+FAQ

It seemed to help, everything was a little faster loading etc. but then I got error 16 when trying to save after 30 minutes!

coconatty
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 07:57

@coconatty wrote:Thank you, I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Advanced Systemcare Pro etc.

I found out it's not a memory leak in my system, the RAM use only goes up to 60% max when Sims 3 is running.

So now I tried all the steps here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/General+Issues+FAQ

It seemed to help, everything was a little faster loading etc. but then I got error 16 when trying to save after 30 minutes!

For now, delete all contents in the Currentgame.sims3 folder (located in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3). Next, if you get that save error 16 again, try using the option "save as..." and choose a NEW name for that save. Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coconatty on Tue 22 Apr 2014, 00:07

Carlos wrote:
@coconatty wrote:Thank you, I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Advanced Systemcare Pro etc.

For now, delete all contents in the Currentgame.sims3 folder (located in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3). Next, if you get that save error 16 again, try using the option "save as..." and choose a NEW name for that save. Good luck !

Thank you, I always make sure that folder is empty when I start the game.

Okay, so I think I solved my problem! That last error 16 was the last error I got! No more crashes either, everything is fine now! Those steps on the Nraas website solved the problem, and made the game much faster too.

AND updating to the latest patch made a difference too. I was one patch behind.

coconatty
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 19:35

@coconatty wrote:Thank you, I always make sure that folder is empty when I start the game.

Okay, so I think I solved my problem! That last error 16 was the last error I got! No more crashes either, everything is fine now! Those steps on the Nraas website solved the problem, and made the game much faster too.

AND updating to the latest patch made a difference too. I was one patch behind.

Hello and sorry for the delay,

It's good to hear that ! Do you have any other questions or can I close this topic ?
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum