After installing Windows 8.1 on a new HDD, The Sims 3 won't find my expansions! READ MORE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

After installing Windows 8.1 on a new HDD, The Sims 3 won't find my expansions! READ MORE!

Post by Squall on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 09:53

So I recently got an SSD Hard Drive and I installed Windows 8.1 onto it, however I always had my Sims 3 games on my 2TB SATA 6gb/s Game Drive.

Upon launching up the game, in Windows 8, (I added it as a non-Steam game on Steam) it said unable to open and to please re-install the base game. 

I have a legit copy of the Base game so I did just that. 

After doing so, I re-installed the Ultimate fix and Manual patch. The launcher now opens, BUT it shows all my expansions but grayed out, as if I don't have them! I have every expansion on my H:/ Drive but it won't find them. Do I need to re-install EVERY game? I hope not...

If I'm forgetting anything, please ask me if you need more info. The games are all in the same HDD and was working fine on my Windows 7 HDD but with the Windows 8 OS, I'm guessing since the games aren't showed as installed in the Programs and Features list in the Computer section it's coming up as invalid? 

I don't know, but I hope you guys know a solution! I await your helpful replies.

Thanks in advance!

//EDIT

hate to bump, just really hoping there is a solution to this that does NOT require re-downloading and re-installing every game.

Squall
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: After installing Windows 8.1 on a new HDD, The Sims 3 won't find my expansions! READ MORE!

Post by Adwomin on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 20:19

Hello,

Please do not bump, read the Forum Rules instead.

If the games do not show up in the Programs and Features list, your PC does not recognize them as installed.
A few questions:

- It's an internal HDD, right?
- Did you actually use an installed to install the expansion packs, or did you just copy over the installed files from another Windows installation/HDD?
- Where exactly did you download the expansion packs from?
- Is the base game an Origin copy, or retail disc?

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: After installing Windows 8.1 on a new HDD, The Sims 3 won't find my expansions! READ MORE!

Post by Squall on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 23:10

Admin wrote:Hello,

Please do not bump, read the Forum Rules instead.

If the games do not show up in the Programs and Features list, your PC does not recognize them as installed.
A few questions:

- It's an internal HDD, right?
- Did you actually use an installed to install the expansion packs, or did you just copy over the installed files from another Windows installation/HDD?
- Where exactly did you download the expansion packs from?
- Is the base game an Origin copy, or retail disc?
Hey Admin. Sorry for the bump again.

The HDD the games are on, is an Internal, yes. It's the same internal that they were always on when I was on Windows 7.
I installed all the Expansion packs on that HDD when I was on Windows 7. (Note that this Drive is a dedicated Game Drive. No OS was on this drive. The drive that had Win7 on it is my old 500GB HDD)
All expansions were downloaded from Games 4 The World (They worked fine until I install Windows 8 on my new SSD.)
The Base Game is a legit disc version from the Collectors Edition Box set (So yes, Retail Disc)

Squall
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 23:33

Hello,

OK, then I think I see your problem.
You installed the games on the HDD when you were using Windows 7. Then you installed Windows 8 and are now trying to play the games again, from that same HDD, without reinstalling them.
The problem is that your Windows 8 doesn't recognize them as installed games, since you didn't actually install them on the Windows version you currently have. It sees the files as a bunch of files, nothing more.
The game can be made workable, but I don't recommend doing that, because it might cause problems in the future.

At this point, it's best if you remove those (old) "installed" files and actually (re)install the expansion packs, following this up-to-date guide: www.games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

I hope that clears up. Good luck!

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum