Holy stuttering Batman!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Holy stuttering Batman!

Post by Cosby123 on Fri 09 May 2014, 12:33

Hello, I have read through the forums here (as well as many others) for a solution to this problem but it seems there are a lot of different reasons for The Sims 3 stuttering and those reasons vary wildly depending on the user/os/etc. I just did a fresh install on a new laptop which theoretically should crush this game like a soft pink cookie and there is a lot of stuttering. It is nearly unbearable unfortunately. This is such a fun game and I remember now why I stopped playing it on my older system but hoped those issues would be resolved with a more powerful PC.

I have done a fresh install.

I have applied all patches and cracks properly.

My drivers are up to date.

Of the many fixes I have read about I have tried the following:

- Turned on V-Sync for the main game exe's and all expansions.
 - Used a 4GB enabler to set large address aware for main game exe's and all expansions.
 - Deleted Documents/Electronic Arts folder and started a new game without custom content to test stuttering and form a baseline. (This reduced stuttering slightly but it is still noticeable and since people think that eventually save game data can become bloated I imagine starting a new game would eventually lead to an equal or similar amount of stuttering)
 - I have tried playing the game with graphical settings set to LOW and HIGH. (There is nearly no noticeable change in stuttering)
 -  Opened task manager while playing The Sims 3 and set process priority to HIGH and reduced the number of cores to 3-4 (out of 7). (This actually resulted in some slight improvement, it could be my imagination however)

I am running windows 7 ultimate, i7-4900 processor (4.0 w/turbo boost), 2 nvidia 880's with 16 video GB RAM, 32 GB of RAM.

Fraps is saying the game is running at 4500 frames per second. (120 FPS after enabling V-Sync)

If there is any other information that may be relevant let me know. I am really hoping there is a solution to this, it seems like such a common problem. I know The Sims 3 is coded terribly, or so I've heard and if I didn't know better it seems like "scripting lag" from my experience with modding other games.

Now, I AM using the bought game with some torrents, I read that could be a problem. Is this true?

Is there no hope?

//EDIT

It seems the stuttering is worse with the games4theworld version of the base game than it is for the sims 3 RELOADED version. Why would that be?

Cosby123
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Holy stuttering Batman!

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 27 May 2014, 13:00

@Cosby123 wrote:Hello, I have read through the forums here (as well as many others) for a solution to this problem but it seems there are a lot of different reasons for The Sims 3 stuttering and those reasons vary wildly depending on the user/os/etc. I just did a fresh install on a new laptop which theoretically should crush this game like a soft pink cookie and there is a lot of stuttering. It is nearly unbearable unfortunately. This is such a fun game and I remember now why I stopped playing it on my older system but hoped those issues would be resolved with a more powerful PC.

I have done a fresh install.

I have applied all patches and cracks properly.

My drivers are up to date.

Of the many fixes I have read about I have tried the following:

- Turned on V-Sync for the main game exe's and all expansions.
 - Used a 4GB enabler to set large address aware for main game exe's and all expansions.
 - Deleted Documents/Electronic Arts folder and started a new game without custom content to test stuttering and form a baseline. (This reduced stuttering slightly but it is still noticeable and since people think that eventually save game data can become bloated I imagine starting a new game would eventually lead to an equal or similar amount of stuttering)
 - I have tried playing the game with graphical settings set to LOW and HIGH. (There is nearly no noticeable change in stuttering)
 -  Opened task manager while playing The Sims 3 and set process priority to HIGH and reduced the number of cores to 3-4 (out of 7). (This actually resulted in some slight improvement, it could be my imagination however)

I am running windows 7 ultimate, i7-4900 processor (4.0 w/turbo boost), 2 nvidia 880's with 16 video GB RAM, 32 GB of RAM.

Fraps is saying the game is running at 4500 frames per second. (120 FPS after enabling V-Sync)

If there is any other information that may be relevant let me know. I am really hoping there is a solution to this, it seems like such a common problem. I know The Sims 3 is coded terribly, or so I've heard and if I didn't know better it seems like "scripting lag" from my experience with modding other games.

Now, I AM using the bought game with some torrents, I read that could be a problem. Is this true?

Is there no hope?

//EDIT

It seems the stuttering is worse with the games4theworld version of the base game than it is for the sims 3 RELOADED version. Why would that be?

Hello and sorry for the late reply,

Compared to yours, my computer is really weak, but it can still run TS3 and all expansions fluently. One (decisive) point you didn't mention was whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit ? That could be a choke point.

Also, do you experience that lagging in other games too ?
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14066

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum