Sims 3 launcher crashes after installing torrented expansion packs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 3 launcher crashes after installing torrented expansion packs

Post by lollysstokeworth on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 08:55

I used a friend's discs to install the base game, Late Night, World Adventures, Generations, and Ambitions a couple years ago, then torrented Supernatural and Island Paradise tonight. I played for a couple hours earlier after installing the torrents and I don't have any problems playing the game (aside from near-constant little freezes but that's probably just my laptop). Since downloading Supernatural and Island Paradise, whenever I open the launcher, I immediately get a message saying that it has stopped working and then it crashes. I wouldn't care, except I also torrented Dragon Valley and the only way to install it that I know of is through the launcher. Can I install it another way or do I have to use the launcher, and if so, how can I fix it?

Side note: now that I've installed Island Paradise and Supernatural, can I delete the folders originally from the torrent? They're taking up another 10 GB on my desktop and if they're no longer needed, I want them out.

Last edited by lollysstokeworth on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 09:01; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification, adding side note)
lollysstokeworth
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims
Female Posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sims 3 launcher crashes after installing torrented expansion packs

Post by Shamrock on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 19:38

Hello,
Please delete those folders, they're only useful if you want to re-install.
About your problem: did you apply the Ultimate Fix correctly?

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!
Shamrock
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lollysstokeworth on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 19:56

Oh, excellent, thanks. Yes, I made sure I did. I'm using the manual patch instead of step 11 of the Ultimate Fix.
lollysstokeworth
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 23:56

@lollysstokeworth wrote:I used a friend's discs to install the base game, Late Night, World Adventures, Generations, and Ambitions a couple years ago, then torrented Supernatural and Island Paradise tonight. I played for a couple hours earlier after installing the torrents and I don't have any problems playing the game (aside from near-constant little freezes but that's probably just my laptop). Since downloading Supernatural and Island Paradise, whenever I open the launcher, I immediately get a message saying that it has stopped working and then it crashes. I wouldn't care, except I also torrented Dragon Valley and the only way to install it that I know of is through the launcher. Can I install it another way or do I have to use the launcher, and if so, how can I fix it?

Side note: now that I've installed Island Paradise and Supernatural, can I delete the folders originally from the torrent? They're taking up another 10 GB on my desktop and if they're no longer needed, I want them out.

I would actually recommend to backup the downloads somewhere, if you can (e.g. on an external hard-drive) in case you have to re-install again at a later date, for whatever reason. Next, you might want to have a look at that:

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t16882-the-sims-3-launcher-problems-notice

Try starting the game with the TS3W.exe in the base game location then. Usually in C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Good luck !

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lollysstokeworth on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 05:16

I reset IE and ran the launcher as administrator and it worked! Thank you!
lollysstokeworth
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 00:07

@lollysstokeworth wrote:I reset IE and ran the launcher as administrator and it worked! Thank you!

You're welcome ! Do you have any other questions ? 

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lollysstokeworth on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 01:36

Carlos wrote:
@lollysstokeworth wrote:I reset IE and ran the launcher as administrator and it worked! Thank you!

You're welcome ! Do you have any other questions ? 
Yes, actually: I'm installing University Life right now (torrented, of course), and I'm assuming I don't need to reinstall the Ultimate Fix in the base game's bin because I installed the fix 2 days ago with Supernatural and Island Paradise. Am I correct?
lollysstokeworth
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 09:04

@lollysstokeworth wrote:Yes, actually: I'm installing University Life right now (torrented, of course), and I'm assuming I don't need to reinstall the Ultimate Fix in the base game's bin because I installed the fix 2 days ago with Supernatural and Island Paradise. Am I correct?

Sorry for the late reply, Sad

Actually it would be a good idea to re-do the steps from #2 to #4 here, after adding new expansions:

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum