Game Keeps Crashing - Windows 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game Keeps Crashing - Windows 8

Post by Atroxa on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 20:53

I've done everything suggested from the following thread to try and get it to run and it's still crashing. Run as admin, windowed mode, #3 Step of reassigning ram, did a check and my laptop meets all of the minimum requirements except for RAM so I wanted to do step #7 but I have Windows 8, and there are no instructions for it. 

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

What should I do? The game isn't running slow, actually it's running pretty fast, it's loading fine and running fine, but after a few minutes, no matter what I'm doing, it will crash. I've tried running the game from the launcher, straight from the application to skip the launcher, just trying things out.

Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

Favourite games : Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, Sims 3, Zoo Tycoon 2, Pokemon
Female Posts : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Game Keeps Crashing - Windows 8

Post by Shamrock on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 19:29

Hello,
Please do step 7. To open Command Prompt, type cmd in the Searchbox.
Does your game crash directly after startup? If so, check that your game is up to date and you applied the Ultimate Fix correctly.

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!

Shamrock
RETIRED Moderator
Guarding the Forum
RETIRED ModeratorGuarding the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3179

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atroxa on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 21:57

It does not crash after start up, I can get into my neighborhood and be playing around and then it will crash. There is no error message, I did the Ultimate Fix, I'm pretty sure it's a RAM problem. Only thing is, I'm not sure which command to type in? Is it the same in Step 7 even if it's Windows 8 and not 7 or Vista?

Edit:
I typed in both commands in the command prompt and both times I was told "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access denied."

Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

Favourite games : Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, Sims 3, Zoo Tycoon 2, Pokemon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 19:51

That is because you did not execute Command Prompt as Administrator.

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!

Shamrock
RETIRED Moderator
Guarding the Forum
RETIRED ModeratorGuarding the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3179

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atroxa on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 01:41

Ran as admin, it accepted the command, restarted the computer, but the game still crashed. I don't know what to do now, I'm about to just give up.

Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 03:39

@Atroxa wrote:Ran as admin, it accepted the command, restarted the computer, but the game still crashed. I don't know what to do now, I'm about to just give up.

Hello, Atroxa. Are you running Windows 8 (or 8.1) 64 or 32 bits?

If you are running a 64 bits version (very likely, since you have a new operating system and playing The Sims 3), the step 7 is not required.

How much physical and virtual RAM do you have installed/set up? Does it happen only with one savegame or with any saves you try, and any neighborhoods?

Could you please try starting a new game using sunset valley and a plain sim without any custom content, moving to a basic home.

Can you also try the edit town mode if your game doesn't crash and tell us the results here?

I wish we can find a way to help you somehow.

// EDIT

Please, if you are running Windows 8 instead of 8.1, try upgrading it to Windows 8.1, since it made my game run way better and fixed many issues I was having before.

Last edited by SvenT on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 03:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot something...)

The Sim Architect

It was nice being here. I will be away for a while...

Sim Architect
(A) Child of God (A)
(A) Child of God (A)

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 1853

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atroxa on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 04:29

I am running Windows 8.1 64 Bit

I only have one save game. I deleted all my others a while back to work on a custom neighborhood laid out the way I want it. I will try and start a new game with one of the base neighborhoods.

As for how much RAM I have, I have to admit I'm far from a computer whiz, I know enough to get by, so this is a screen cap of my system info, does this tell you everything you need to know?

Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 04:42

Thanks! Well, you got plenty of RAM, so it should be no problem. Did you change the pagefile configuration or did you just keep the default values that came with the system?

If you followed the advices found here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

And if you also installed the game and expansions following what you can find here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Maybe you should try this tool (Crash Log Analyzer) and post here what you get from it, if you still have a crash to desktop after playing with a plain vanilla neighborhood (I would advise for you to play around a little, open and close the edit town, save the game with a couple different names to see if it crashes at all): http://modthesims.info/d/416883

Please let us know how things are going after you tried these ideas I just gave you.

The Sim Architect

Sim Architect
(A) Child of God (A)
(A) Child of God (A)

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atroxa on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 06:07

I followed the steps in both of those to get everything installed and to try and fix the crashing problem.

It crashed as soon as I tried to start a new game.

I'm trying to download that crash log but it's giving me fits, something about my log in with MTS, trying to figure it out.

Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 06:20

OK. We will be waiting for your logs. Maybe I won't know how to help you, but if I don't find a solution for your issue, it's very likely more experienced people around will have a solution for your problem.

I wish you all the best, I am going to bed soon. See you "tomorrow"!

The Sim Architect

Sim Architect
(A) Child of God (A)
(A) Child of God (A)

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 08:20

@Atroxa wrote:I followed the steps in both of those to get everything installed and to try and fix the crashing problem.

It crashed as soon as I tried to start a new game.

I'm trying to download that crash log but it's giving me fits, something about my log in with MTS, trying to figure it out.

Hello,

Forget the crash logs; they are of no use to the "average" person (since you have to understand what's in there). Anyhow, assuming you did step #7 of that crash guide correctly, that would be fine. But have you tried doing step #3 too ? About the "4 GB patch" ? If so, how exactly did you apply it ?

Please double-click on that patch and apply it to the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched". Then see if that improves anything in your game.

Also, can you open the command prompt and type dxdiag ? Hit enter, and in the following Window that shows up, go to the DISPLAY tab, and post the information here, or just post a screenshot. Smile  

Good luck !

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN ModeratorInspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Male Posts : 12316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atroxa on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 18:41

I did Step 3 but I think I might have done it incorrectly (applying it to the wrong thing) so let me try that.

//EDIT

It didn't work. I'm not sure what to do now.

Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 02:49

I am having this problem on my own game since a couple of days ago, but since my computer isn't running well (maybe a virus), I will take a few days to format it and install everything from scratch.

I hope a someone like Carlos or Admin can help you fixing your game, because I have no clue if you uninstalled everything with uninstaller pro (advanced mode) and installed again, and the game still crashes...

Maybe try to lower some graphic options, specially the ones related to the shaders? Maybe I could have a better hint with a crash log from that program I told you to try, but those are my two cents on this issue, I can't say that I know how to fix your game, but I will try to help you any way I can...

Please post your crash log here if you feel like doing it, and tell us what the program shows you.

The Sim Architect

Sim Architect
(A) Child of God (A)
(A) Child of God (A)

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 18:33

@Atroxa wrote:I did Step 3 but I think I might have done it incorrectly (applying it to the wrong thing) so let me try that.

//EDIT

It didn't work. I'm not sure what to do now.

Assuming you really did everything correctly in that crashing guide, go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, and delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-simCompositorCache.package
-socialCache.package
-plus the contents of the folders "WorldCaches" & "Thumbnails"

Next, turn off your anti-virus completely. Also, are you sure you applied a compatible crack to the game ? If in doubt, please consult this guide here, and especially repeat the steps from #2 to #4:

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Also keep in mind that laptops are generally not made for gaming, so the next possible solution could be for you to try whether un-installing some expansions helps you. Do keep us posted !

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN ModeratorInspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Male Posts : 12316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum