Internet issues!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Internet issues!

Post by Layloria on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 21:46

Hello,

I pay over £30 a month for supposedly 11mbps download and 1.1mbps upload (my ISP is sky and they make it difficult for the average techie to use their own router.

I just did a test and got 0.17mbps down and 0.00 up. I have never gotten over 5mbps download or more than 0.3 upload.

When checking my router its supposedly receiving the 11mbps and 1.1mbps but every device in the house is not receiving.

Sky can't seem to do anything about it.
Any ideas about how the router/modem is getting this signal but no device will?
If it helps, all devices have the compatible 802.11 N adapter which works with the ADSL link we have. NOT FIBRE.

Thanks all!

Like a Star @ heaven Layloria

Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series
Female Posts : 392

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet issues!

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 21:58

@Layloria wrote:Hello,

I pay over £30 a month for supposedly 11mbps download and 1.1mbps upload (my ISP is sky and they make it difficult for the average techie to use their own router.

I just did a test and got 0.17mbps down and 0.00 up. I have never gotten over 5mbps download or more than 0.3 upload.

When checking my router its supposedly receiving the 11mbps and 1.1mbps but every device in the house is not receiving.

Sky can't seem to do anything about it.
Any ideas about how the router/modem is getting this signal but no device will?
If it helps, all devices have the compatible 802.11 N adapter which works with the ADSL link we have. NOT FIBRE.

Thanks all!

Hello,

When did you notice that error ? Was it always that way ? Have you tried plugging out your router for a minute or so, and then plugging it in again ? See if that makes any difference.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14104

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 23:19

Hello,

We have tried unplugging, resetting, the ISP have reset.
Its always been bad but within the last month when I tried to upload to YouTube it took 72 hours and in the end it took too long for YouTube to process. Also I started playing minecraft, on multiplayer I go static and end up getting disconnected.

So I began looking around and did speed tests and it came up really low.

Its like there is a hammer behind the glass. You need the hammer to break the glass but its behind the glass.
So the modem needs the login details but its behind a login no go, so it can't test the line, but I need the details to test the line to put in the details.

Note: We changed the channel the line is on, like 11, 6, 3, 4 etc.

Thanks,

Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:08

@Layloria wrote:Hello,

We have tried unplugging, resetting, the ISP have reset.
Its always been bad but within the last month when I tried to upload to YouTube it took 72 hours and in the end it took too long for YouTube to process. Also I started playing minecraft, on multiplayer I go static and end up getting disconnected.

So I began looking around and did speed tests and it came up really low.

Its like there is a hammer behind the glass. You need the hammer to break the glass but its behind the glass.
So the modem needs the login details but its behind a login no go, so it can't test the line, but I need the details to test the line to put in the details.

Note: We changed the channel the line is on, like 11, 6, 3, 4 etc.

Thanks,

A possibility could be to try updating your WLAN driver. In Windows 7, go to the Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers. 

In my case, I focussed on the Realtek driver. Choose it and then click on "Properties". Then go to the "Driver"-tab. Now, I don't recommend you click on the "update driver"-button. Instead, write down the information, and google for an updated driver - if there is one.

Next, do you happen to live in an apartment building ? In that case, keep in mind that your WLAN will interfere with the WLAN of the other people in that apartment. This can have a negative impact on your connection/speed too. 

Also, where exactly did you place the WLAN router ? Did you put it, by chance, into a cabinet ? What about the walls in that apartment ? What are they made of ? Certain types of walls and their thickness can influence WLAN signals too.

If you can, you should try borrowing a laptop or something, or invite someone with a laptop over to your place, and see if the same happens with that laptop too. This is to rule out any problems with your computer.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14104

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:11

Hi there,

Are you using a laptop to test the speed? If so, don't do that and use a LAN cable instead. Wireless internet is always slower and more unstable that a wired connection.

Also note the difference between "mbps" and "MBps". The first one is "megabit" and the second one is "megabyte". The difference is a factor of 8.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:18

Hello,

I am in a terraced house and it affects everything. I have a PC tower, 4 mobiles, 1 xbox on at the moment.

We turned WiFi off and used LAN ethernet to the PC downstairs centimeters from the Router and ADSL phoneline.

The speed for the ethernet is still record low. We have swapped cables too.

Thanks,

Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:20

Hi there,

How come Sky can't help you? I don't know about the rules and laws where you live, but for as far as I know, it's the ISP's responsibility to provide a good internet connection. If you can't even get the speed you're paying for directly from your modem, then there might be something wrong with your modem.

Can't you ask them for a replacement or something?

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Sat 30 Aug 2014, 00:34

Hello,

Yeah we spent 4 hours on their phone to sort it and 2 hours today and solved nothing. We tried using our own modem and router combo but it won't let us, either I don't have the specific know-how to do it without the modem software installation or my ISP is making it difficult (Sky is not keen).

They're sending a replacement but its odd how we call them for ages and the line gets worse.

I hope its a fault in their equipment as its the basic router/modem combo with the speed of a Windows 2000 PC.

Thanks,

Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum