Regedit problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regedit problem

Post by Atroxa on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 14:28

So I'd posted in here before about trying to install the Sims 3 using the methods from this site and game crashing no matter what I did or the mods here suggested. Well I'm trying again and have encountered a problem I can't seem to find any mention of in the instructions.

I've got the base game installed, trying to install World Adventures and went to regedit to do the SKU change aaaand there's no Sims 3 folder. I even searched for it in the regedit and all I've found is a Sims 3 folder under Software -> Classes -> Interface that doesn't have anything about SKU in it.

Soooo yeah.
Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

Favourite games : Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, Sims 3, Zoo Tycoon 2, Pokemon
Female Posts : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regedit problem

Post by SeoY on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 14:37

Hi there, and welcome to the Games4theworld Forum! Smile

Are you following the instructions inside the game installation torrent? Remember that those are outdated and shouldn't be used. Use this guide here instead:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

I think that there's no reason to change the SKU anymore. 
Still, the key should be there, depending on the version of Windows you have. Is it 32 bits or 64 bits?

"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 14:38

Hi,

Open Regedit.
Drop down the arrow for Computer, then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE
If you have 64bit computer then the files will be under WOW6432NODE
Then look for SIMS, not Electronic Arts or EA.

Click on The Sims 3, a list on the right screen should appear, look for SKU. Change its SKU to 1 or 2.

However changing the SKU is not always required with newer updates. If you cannot find the base game in the Regedit after following the steps, Try using the manual patch and Ultimate Fix on your base game then try installing other expansions.

Thanks,
Like a Star @ heaven Layloria

Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series
Female Posts : 392

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 21:30

SeoY wrote:I think that there's no reason to change the SKU anymore.
Hi there,

I think World Adventures was the only one that still requires the SKU to be changed. If you don't change it, you won't be able to install it, due to an "Invalid Region" error.
Changing the SKU will not affect your game in any way.

So, like Layloria suggested, follow these steps to fix your problem: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t177-can-t-find-the-sims-3-sku-fix

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Atroxa on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 17:17

Got it, everything installed, but the game is crashing *sigh* tried windowed mode and running as admin. Time to trouble shoot I guess -_- at least it's better than last time. Last time it was doing this weird thing where it would let me get in my neighborhood and into a household then just close, no error message or anything. Getting a crash error message now so I feel like it's something fixable (I hope)
Atroxa
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

Favourite games : Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, Sims 3, Zoo Tycoon 2, Pokemon
Female Posts : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 19:20

Atroxa wrote:Got it, everything installed, but the game is crashing *sigh* tried windowed mode and running as admin. Time to trouble shoot I guess -_- at least it's better than last time. Last time it was doing this weird thing where it would let me get in my neighborhood and into a household then just close, no error message or anything. Getting a crash error message now so I feel like it's something fixable (I hope)

Hello Atroxa,

Assuming your computer is strong enough for the game, feel free to have a look at my post here, and do all the suggestions shown there:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t17208-sims-3-has-stopped-working#118442

Good luck for now, and do keep us posted !

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum