Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 12:49

Hi!

I can play the game for about 5 to 10 minutes but then the screen gets kinda weird and my computer crashes. I think the graphic card is overheating although it ''only'' gets to a temperature around 71Celsius (around 160F). I cleaned the dust out of the graphic card but that didn't help. The thing is, wherever i check for the minimum specs, i get the result that my CPU is not strong enough, and my GPU is. But when i play the game, the CPU is (kinda) okay and the GPU's temperature gets too high. Now i would like to know where's the problem, so i could maybe fix it by buying a new GPU (or CPU). But in a the sims 4 forum where there is a list of supported graphic cards mine is listed as an okay GPU (should work at least on low settings). Is there maybe something wrong with my instalion of the game? Or is my graphic card not compatible with my CPU or motherboard(or whatever it's called).

My specs are:
 
Foxconn motherboard
CPU:  Pentium Dual-core E5200 2.50Ghz
RAM: 3GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT  2GB
Screen resolution: 1680 x 1050
Windows 7 32-bit
Direct x 11


I would really appreciate if you gave your opinions and could possibly help and advise me. Thank you and sorry for my english!

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by SeoY on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 14:08

Hi there, and welcome to the Games4theworld Forum! Very Happy

Thanks for creating a new topic! 

With the thing about your screen getting "kinda weird", it leads me to believe that it's very probable that the problem is the GPU. If you don't mind me asking, how old is that graphics card? Even if it should be able to handle the game, if it's already damaged then it would fail anyway. 

And how are you recording it's temperature, exactly? It is kind of low, which adds to the possibility that it has problems causing it to give up even at so low temperatures.

That's my opinion, at least. Wink

Is your PC a desktop, or a laptop? If it's a desktop then thinking about getting a new GPU wouldn't be a bad idea.

_________________
"The capital lies before us my friend. What a sombre place it seems and one that holds the answers to many a mystery." - Quirrel.


"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
avatar
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1727
Points : 3705
Reputation : 299
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 21
Location : City of Tears

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 14:51

SeoY wrote:Hi there, and welcome to the Games4theworld Forum! Very Happy

Thanks for creating a new topic! 

With the thing about your screen getting "kinda weird", it leads me to believe that it's very probable that the problem is the GPU. If you don't mind me asking, how old is that graphics card? Even if it should be able to handle the game, if it's already damaged then it would fail anyway. 

And how are you recording it's temperature, exactly? It is kind of low, which adds to the possibility that it has problems causing it to give up even at so low temperatures.

That's my opinion, at least. Wink

Is your PC a desktop, or a laptop? If it's a desktop then thinking about getting a new GPU wouldn't be a bad idea.
I actually don't know how old my model of this gpu is but it was officially launched in 2008. I'm recording it with CPUID HWmonitor and i just checked the GPU's specifications on the Nvidia geforce page and it says that the max temp is 105 C so i'm guessing my GPU is broken.. and i have a desktop pc.
And the thing is im probably getting a laptop next year so i don't think if it's worth buying a new GPU, since GPUs that are compatible with the sims 4 are very spendy. But i'll have to look at very expensive laptops if i'll want to play the sims 4...   do i have to be carefull which GPU and CPU are compatible with eachother?

Thanks for your response!Smile

//EDIT

Oh and one more question.

If i install a new GPU, is it advised to reinstall my game?

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by SeoY on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 15:13

cuzimweird wrote:I actually don't know how old my model of this gpu is but it was officially launched in 2008. I'm recording it with CPUID HWmonitor and i just checked the GPU's specifications on the Nvidia geforce page and it says that the max temp is 105 C so i'm guessing my GPU is broken.. and i have a desktop pc.
And the thing is im probably getting a laptop next year so i don't think if it's worth buying a new GPU, since GPUs that are compatible with the sims 4 are very spendy. But i'll have to look at very expensive laptops if i'll want to play the sims 4...   do i have to be carefull which GPU and CPU are compatible with eachother?

Thanks for your response!Smile

//EDIT

Oh and one more question.

If i install a new GPU, is it advised to reinstall my game?

If your PC is a desktop, then you could have someone actually check if there is a problem with the GPU before replacing it. And about the laptop, it depends on how you are planning to buy it. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a new GPU for your desktop and get a normal laptop, but that's your choice. And buying a laptop for TS4 doesn't have to be 'very expensive', as it doesn't exactly require a gaming one. Just check that the specs match the ones required (and that it has an actual dedicated GPU, not those lousy integrated ones) and you should be good.

And GPU and CPU compatibility isn't really a thing. All CPUs are compatible with all GPUs, provided that the GPU actually matches the slot in your motherboard to be connected and that your PSU is capable of handling the new GPU. These are some things that you need to be sure of before buying a new graphics card, so please take good attention on them.

About the last question, I actually think there's no need to reinstall the game after you buy the new GPU. What you do need to do is uninstall the old one's drivers and make sure that the new one's are correctly installed. The game should work fine after that. Smile

Again, be very careful with the motherboard slot and PSU requirements, or you could buy a GPU that doesn't exactly work for you. Good luck!

_________________
"The capital lies before us my friend. What a sombre place it seems and one that holds the answers to many a mystery." - Quirrel.


"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
avatar
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1727
Points : 3705
Reputation : 299
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 21
Location : City of Tears

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 16:42

SeoY wrote:
cuzimweird wrote:I actually don't know how old my model of this gpu is but it was officially launched in 2008. I'm recording it with CPUID HWmonitor and i just checked the GPU's specifications on the Nvidia geforce page and it says that the max temp is 105 C so i'm guessing my GPU is broken.. and i have a desktop pc.
And the thing is im probably getting a laptop next year so i don't think if it's worth buying a new GPU, since GPUs that are compatible with the sims 4 are very spendy. But i'll have to look at very expensive laptops if i'll want to play the sims 4...   do i have to be carefull which GPU and CPU are compatible with eachother?

Thanks for your response!Smile

//EDIT

Oh and one more question.

If i install a new GPU, is it advised to reinstall my game?

If your PC is a desktop, then you could have someone actually check if there is a problem with the GPU before replacing it. And about the laptop, it depends on how you are planning to buy it. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a new GPU for your desktop and get a normal laptop, but that's your choice. And buying a laptop for TS4 doesn't have to be 'very expensive', as it doesn't exactly require a gaming one. Just check that the specs match the ones required (and that it has an actual dedicated GPU, not those lousy integrated ones) and you should be good.

And GPU and CPU compatibility isn't really a thing. All CPUs are compatible with all GPUs, provided that the GPU actually matches the slot in your motherboard to be connected and that your PSU is capable of handling the new GPU. These are some things that you need to be sure of before buying a new graphics card, so please take good attention on them.

About the last question, I actually think there's no need to reinstall the game after you buy the new GPU. What you do need to do is uninstall the old one's drivers and make sure that the new one's are correctly installed. The game should work fine after that. Smile

Again, be very careful with the motherboard slot and PSU requirements, or you could buy a GPU that doesn't exactly work for you. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response! I will probably start checking for new GPUs Smile

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 22:33

cuzimweird wrote:since GPUs that are compatible with the sims 4 are very spendy. 


Not necessarily. It depends on your needs, and if you want to be able to play more "modern" games too. I recently installed TS4 on a computer that had an NVIDIA GeForce GT330 (by today's standards, an ancient model). But that GPU can still run games like Assassin's Creed IV, Saints Row IV and Titanfall at high (!) settings. All games that are extremely demanding on graphics. Also, keep in mind that the sims games tend to choke up on the RAM; meaning that excessive GPU power is only of secondary importance in Sims franchise games (as of now).

Also make sure to check the measurements of the new card, so that it will actually FIT into your desktop case. As for the display driver un-installation, this here is a tool that I used in the past, and it worked pretty well for me (thze usage of that tool should be self-explanatory). Feel free to check it out.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html



Good luck.

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14441
Points : 19166
Reputation : 2037
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 17:53

Carlos wrote:
cuzimweird wrote:since GPUs that are compatible with the sims 4 are very spendy. 


Not necessarily. It depends on your needs, and if you want to be able to play more "modern" games too. I recently installed TS4 on a computer that had an NVIDIA GeForce GT330 (by today's standards, an ancient model). But that GPU can still run games like Assassin's Creed IV, Saints Row IV and Titanfall at high (!) settings. All games that are extremely demanding on graphics. Also, keep in mind that the sims games tend to choke up on the RAM; meaning that excessive GPU power is only of secondary importance in Sims franchise games (as of now).

Also make sure to check the measurements of the new card, so that it will actually FIT into your desktop case. As for the display driver un-installation, this here is a tool that I used in the past, and it worked pretty well for me (thze usage of that tool should be self-explanatory). Feel free to check it out.




Good luck.
Thank you! So it would be good to also get more than 4 gb of ram right?

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 23:13

cuzimweird wrote:Thank you! So it would be good to also get more than 4 gb of ram right?


Definitely yes ! And I would even go a step further and say that for most "contemporary" games, more than 4GB of RAM should be necessary. 8GB of RAM are almost common standard in computers. But for now, you should be fine with 4GBs too. Smile

Also, when you upgrade the RAM, make sure that you also install a 64-bit Windows operating system, so that you can actually use the additional RAM. Right now, you seem to have a 32-bit Windows only.

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14441
Points : 19166
Reputation : 2037
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 16:12

Carlos wrote:
cuzimweird wrote:Thank you! So it would be good to also get more than 4 gb of ram right?


Definitely yes ! And I would even go a step further and say that for most "contemporary" games, more than 4GB of RAM should be necessary. 8GB of RAM are almost common standard in computers. But for now, you should be fine with 4GBs too. Smile

Also, when you upgrade the RAM, make sure that you also install a 64-bit Windows operating system, so that you can actually use the additional RAM. Right now, you seem to have a 32-bit Windows only.
Okay then, thank you all so much for your opinions and help!Smile

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 18:21

cuzimweird wrote:Okay then, thank you all so much for your opinions and help!Smile


You're welcome, and I'll leave the thread open. So when you have any updates, feel free to post back in this thread. Good luck again !

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14441
Points : 19166
Reputation : 2037
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by Daxter95 on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 23:08

When your game crashes does it take you to a blue screen with a bunch of stuff then restarts your computer? Because the same thing happens to me for this game.

Daxter95
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, PAYDAY, Rust, Skyrim, Battlefield
Male Posts : 11
Points : 1098
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-04
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by SeoY on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 23:16

Daxter95 wrote:When your game crashes does it take you to a blue screen with a bunch of stuff then restarts your computer? Because the same thing happens to me for this game.

Hi there! Smile

If you want us to try and help you, please create a new topic for your issue. We'll be glad to do it after you do so. And it would be best if you included every detail possible on it, it can help us a lot. Thanks!

_________________
"The capital lies before us my friend. What a sombre place it seems and one that holds the answers to many a mystery." - Quirrel.


"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
avatar
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1727
Points : 3705
Reputation : 299
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 21
Location : City of Tears

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 17:20

Daxter95 wrote:When your game crashes does it take you to a blue screen with a bunch of stuff then restarts your computer? Because the same thing happens to me for this game.

Yes, yes it does. For me it's because of the overheating i guess, because my computer turns off so it wouldn't get damaged or something.

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by Shamrock on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 18:22

Have you guys tried the laptop mode in Graphics settings?
Or to reduce your graphics level in game?

_________________
Have some tea, and take care!
Best regards,

Shamrock  





Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!
avatar
Shamrock
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3265
Points : 5942
Reputation : 381
Join date : 2012-03-06
Location : On the slim border between sane and insane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 17:14

Shamrock wrote:Have you guys tried the laptop mode in Graphics settings?
Or to reduce your graphics level in game?

I have everything set on low and I've also tried the laptop mode, nothing really helps.. I also have vsync on, turning it off would probably make it worse right?

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 22:52

cuzimweird wrote:
I have everything set on low and I've also tried the laptop mode, nothing really helps.. I also have vsync on, turning it off would probably make it worse right?


At this point, you might want to have your computer checked by a professional, if you haven't done so yet (and if possible for ou in terms of money).

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14441
Points : 19166
Reputation : 2037
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by cuzimweird on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 13:42

Is there any chance a virus can affect my GPU?

cuzimweird
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 12
Points : 1102
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer crash after 5-10 min of gameplay

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 05:05

cuzimweird wrote:Is there any chance a virus can affect my GPU?


Sorry for the late reply, but the answer to that question is "probably/in all likelihood: no". As I said, if it's possible for you, please let someone professional check your computer. Smile 

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14441
Points : 19166
Reputation : 2037
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum