Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by Ryface on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 06:24

So I have a problem. My laptop came with a partitioned hard drive. The C drive is tiny and only meant to have Windows installed to it, and is thus basically entirely out of hard drive space.

My D drive partition has plenty of space for video games, but the installation for Sims 4 defaults to the C drive even when I specifically tell it to install to D:\Program Files\etc etc. I managed to do a full install only once, thinking it went on my D drive like I told it to, but no, it installed to C:\Program Files\etc, which then hung my computer up on telling me my C drive is full, and I had to uninstall it.

Why does it do this, and how can I fix it?

Ryface
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 2
Points : 1044
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by SeoY on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 06:37

Hi there, and welcome to the Games4theworld Forum! Smile

Unfortunately, because of the Custom Installer we have for The Sims 4 some users are having problems installing the game in a different location to the default one. This may be fixed in the future.

As for the moment, we have a guide written by Carlos that describes the process of creating a symbolic link, where you 'fool' Windows and any software into thinking that the install folder is located at C: even if you move it somewhere else. You can find it here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location

If you do decide to follow it, please do it very carefully. Simply do it with the The Sims 4 folder at Program Files, instead of the The Sims 3 folder as the guide says. It's the same process. It may appear complicated, but if you do exactly as it says there shouldn't be any problems. That is if you want to do it, of course. Wink

_________________
"The capital lies before us my friend. What a sombre place it seems and one that holds the answers to many a mystery." - Quirrel.


"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
avatar
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1726
Points : 3673
Reputation : 298
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 21
Location : City of Tears

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by Ryface on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 06:41

Oh boy... I guess if I get really desperate, I'll give that a try. It doesn't look TOO hard...

Is changing/updating the installer for alternate drive installations something that's on the table for Games4TheWorld in future? I really hope so. 

Anyway, thanks for the quick response!

Ryface
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 2
Points : 1044
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by amebameba on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 09:56

Hey Very Happy I registered only to say, that I just "ctrl-x" the game folder from the system disc and "ctrl-v" it on another... and game still works :>
avatar
amebameba
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 2
Points : 1042
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-11-16
Age : 26
Location : PL KTW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:17

Ryface wrote:Oh boy... I guess if I get really desperate, I'll give that a try. It doesn't look TOO hard...

Is changing/updating the installer for alternate drive installations something that's on the table for Games4TheWorld in future? I really hope so. 

Anyway, thanks for the quick response!


Your main challenge in that procedure will be to type in the right command prompts (i.e. the right folder locations), correctly. Other than that, there isn't that much else behind it.

As for a re-release of that base game, we still need to discuss that among us (Mods/Admins); but for now, we're not going to change anything about it. Maybe sometime in the future, but not now. Sorry.

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14291
Points : 18969
Reputation : 2020
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by Adwomin on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 21:54

Ryface wrote:Is changing/updating the installer for alternate drive installations something that's on the table for Games4TheWorld in future? I really hope so.
Hi there,

Indeed, maybe in the (near?) future. Sad
Sorry about the issues though.


amebameba wrote:Hey Very Happy I registered only to say, that I just "ctrl-x" the game folder from the system disc and "ctrl-v" it on another... and game still works :>
Yes, that method works, but only for games like The Sims 4. If you do the same "trick" for The Sims 3, it will not work.
The Sims 4 is a custom installer, so it just extracts a bunch of files and adds one or two Registry keys.

The Sims 3 uses the original installer, which also adds a lot of Registry keys. These keys are used to locate the game on your PC and make your PC recognize it. If you move the The Sims 3 files, your PC won't be able to locate the game files any more (because the Registry keys are still pointing to the original location) and you'll be stuck with an "Error During Startup" error. (Or some other vague error) So NEVER just cut & paste an installed folder!

_________________
Bonsoir, friend.


~ Nobody's gril. ~
avatar
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211
Points : 1026390
Reputation : 2251
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 15
Location : Del Perro Heights

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by amebameba on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 23:15

I understand Smile I had little space on my disc so I just had to try, and I thought it can be helpful for others Smile
avatar
amebameba
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 2
Points : 1042
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-11-16
Age : 26
Location : PL KTW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moving to another partition

Post by ArctiicFox on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 09:52

Just sharing what I tried, no noticeable repercussions as of yet (W7 64):

1. Back-up "C:\Users\Purpler\Documents\Electronic Arts" somewhere just in case, as well as registry.
2. Cut and paste game directory to desired partition, e.g., "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" to "D:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4"
3. Open regedit, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Maxis\The Sims 4
4. Modify following keys to new directory: "GDFBinary", "Install Dir"
5. Don't forget to modify launcher shortcut as well, "Target" and "Start in"
6. Launch!

Please advise if this method has any drawbacks I haven't encountered or noticed yet?

ArctiicFox
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 1
Points : 685
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by merlina on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 22:22

As per another thread, my laptop will not install, so I wanted to install Sims on my PC. I too have the same problem, so now I can't install Sims period:( I have a small SSD for just Windows 1x SSD (bigger) for programs and 3 other 1 TB SATA drives so no reason to pay for a new SSD. I specifically wanted it separated and just went through reinstalling Window 7 64bit and all my programs onto X.

I tried installing to C with intentions to move it, but the installer says there isn't enough room, and even though shows the other drive won't let you change it.

Am I correct to assume that I couldn't purchase a legit copy of the sims 4 and install it to X and then just install the DLC packs from here? I read somewhere on the board that with a legit copy you are still using the cracked version to install the packs.

I was thinking I get that it's harder to make the installer be for any folder (I have no idea how you guys even make an installer lol and understand the program folder being easy) but isn't it possible to make the same folders (Program Files (x86) ) but just in whatever drive you extract the install files? I would think this would be the answer so that way novices could just install to the right place in C but others could change it. Although please forgive me if that is something impossible, I just only wondered because I figured it had to do more with folder structure and maybe could be just a relative link rather than absolute. I'm just sad at this point I don't know what else to do. I really can't change around default drives because I had been having issues with Windows even booting to the correct drive and finally fixed it.

merlina
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 9
Points : 601
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only install Sims 4 to C drive. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 01:52

ArctiicFox wrote:Just sharing what I tried, no noticeable repercussions as of yet (W7 64):

1. Back-up "C:\Users\Purpler\Documents\Electronic Arts" somewhere just in case, as well as registry.
2. Cut and paste game directory to desired partition, e.g., "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" to "D:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4"
3. Open regedit, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Maxis\The Sims 4
4. Modify following keys to new directory: "GDFBinary", "Install Dir"
5. Don't forget to modify launcher shortcut as well, "Target" and "Start in"
6. Launch!

Please advise if this method has any drawbacks I haven't encountered or noticed yet?

That's an old topic, but this is correct, minus the step where you need to modify the registry. It is NOT (!) necessary to modify these or any other registry keys, when you move the installation folder of The Sims 4 elsewhere.


merlina wrote:As per another thread, my laptop will not install, so I wanted to install Sims on my PC. I too have the same problem, so now I can't install Sims period:( I have a small SSD for just Windows 1x SSD (bigger) for programs and 3 other 1 TB SATA drives so no reason to pay for a new SSD. I specifically wanted it separated and just went through reinstalling Window 7 64bit and all my programs onto X.

I tried installing to C with intentions to move it, but the installer says there isn't enough room, and even though shows the other drive won't let you change it.

Am I correct to assume that I couldn't purchase a legit copy of the sims 4 and install it to X and then just install the DLC packs from here? I read somewhere on the board that with a legit copy you are still using the cracked version to install the packs.

I was thinking I get that it's harder to make the installer be for any folder (I have no idea how you guys even make an installer lol and understand the program folder being easy) but isn't it possible to make the same folders (Program Files (x86) ) but just in whatever drive you extract the install files? I would think this would be the answer so that way novices could just install to the right place in C but others could change it. Although please forgive me if that is something impossible, I just only wondered because I figured it had to do more with folder structure and maybe could be just a relative link rather than absolute. I'm just sad at this point I don't know what else to do. I really can't change around default drives because I had been having issues with Windows even booting to the correct drive and finally fixed it.


Hello again,


I merged this post to your other topic here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t22345-reinstalled-again-help-with-origin-error-nothing-has-worked

Let's keep all discussions there only, for the time being. Thank you. Smile  I will also close this topic now, since the OP hasn't posted back about the final results.


@Ryface, should you be reading this at some point, you can send me a PM, if you really have any follow-up questions. I will then unlock this thread again.

_________________
Respectfully,

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14291
Points : 18969
Reputation : 2020
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum