Sims 3 seems to be installed on (D:) drive but takes up space on (C:) drive?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 3 seems to be installed on (D:) drive but takes up space on (C:) drive?!

Post by msArekusa on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 06:47

Hello all.

I'm getting quite to used to installing the Sims on my computer (this is about the fifth time I'm going through this process using your uploads) however, this time I'm quite stumped. Upon installation I choose 'Custom' installation and I change the destination of the base game and the expansion packs after having created subfolders (D:\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 ...) and the installation goes fine, no problems. However, when I got to installing the third expansion pack my computer warned me that there was no space left, which I found odd since my (D:) drive has 1.81 terabytes' worth of space. But then I see that my (C:) drive is the one that's been getting filled up, despite the fact that I can blatantly SEE all the Sims 3 folders on the (D:) drive. There is practically nothing else I've installed on this computer as it's brand new, so I have no idea how that can happen.
Am I missing something here? D: 

Thanks in advance.

msArekusa
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sims 3 seems to be installed on (D:) drive but takes up space on (C:) drive?!

Post by SeoY on Sun 21 Dec 2014, 08:32

Hi there, msArekusa! Smile

How much free space do you have in C:, currently? And how many Expansion Packs do you have installed? Sometimes the Expansion Packs take some space of C: during the installation, so you should always keep at least some free space in that drive.

You also need to keep in mind that even if the game is installed in the D: drive, it still needs some space in C:, as this is the drive where all of your game content is saved (Saves, Mods, Custom Content, Worlds...). There is a way to make this folder be in the D: drive, but you should only try it if you are confident enough. It's not extremely hard, especially if you follow the instructions carefully, but you need to be sure of what you are doing. 
You can find the guide for doing that here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1727

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sims 3 seems to be installed on (D:) drive but takes up space on (C:) drive?!

Post by BrassOtter on Tue 23 Dec 2014, 01:08

Are you running the installs right out of your RAR opener, or have you extracted the folders and ran the .exe out of those?

BrassOtter
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 23 Dec 2014, 16:44

msArekusa wrote:Hello all.

I'm getting quite to used to installing the Sims on my computer (this is about the fifth time I'm going through this process using your uploads) however, this time I'm quite stumped. Upon installation I choose 'Custom' installation and I change the destination of the base game and the expansion packs after having created subfolders (D:\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 ...) and the installation goes fine, no problems. However, when I got to installing the third expansion pack my computer warned me that there was no space left, which I found odd since my (D:) drive has 1.81 terabytes' worth of space. But then I see that my (C:) drive is the one that's been getting filled up, despite the fact that I can blatantly SEE all the Sims 3 folders on the (D:) drive. There is practically nothing else I've installed on this computer as it's brand new, so I have no idea how that can happen.
Am I missing something here? D: 

Thanks in advance.

Adding to what was said already, you need to take into account that BESIDES the savefiles and other stuff in Sims 3, your main partition where the operating system (Windows) is installed, will also need some extra space to function properly. 

Does your C: drive happen to be a separate SSD drive ? If so, tehn the filespace will be small, usually. You will try and need to free up some space then.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14475

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum