Can a Lot be too large?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can a Lot be too large?

Post by OSOK on Sun 18 Jan 2015, 02:41

OK...I'm going to ramble, although I will attempt to do so in an orderly fashion.

Fresh install of Windows 7x64 Enterprise SP1

12GB of RAM

GTX 660 the version with 3GB of RAM

Intel i7 975 running at 3.33Ghz

RAID0 configuration for the OS Drive

Fresh install of Sims3 all expansion/stuff packs in "chronological order" 

All updates applied
All store content
All worlds

Size of the DCCache folder 12.2GB
Size of the Mods folder 2.1GB

I will preface this by saying that my game runs stable, a huge part of that reason is this site/community here. my game and install are "perfect" at least as far as the coding of the game will allow. I have no issue or conflict with any piece of content custom/base/store or otherwise, nor do I have any issue with any lot/sim/object I download.  So why am I posting you may be asking? A lot I have been working on for years (not the figurative use of the term "years" but the actual physical measure of time) Has grown. I did not build it from scratch, I used, in my opinion the best Buckingham palace uploaded on TSR. (If you want to see what I was starting with...search the uploader name MrNSheikh) If not it's a 64x64 lot 3 story tall 10 bedroom palace with a furnished price of 1.7million. It's already a ridiculously sized "house"

What I've done to it since 2011 is basically completely renovate and expand it by adding everything to this lot. full court indoor basketball...5 star spa...hot air balloon, snowboard halfpipe skating rink and ice rink (yeah I know both) the flying broom arena thing, bowling alleys, and the list goes on for everything except the "train" (I just can't figure out how to incorporate it into the space yet) how big is it now you ask? 4 floors plus "interactive roof and whatever the maximum amount of sublevels allowable in the game.  All of this works too, without issue. 

The "wall" I keep hitting is when I build the subterranean garage (what do you mean you dont have one) after about the 30th car...the game crashes. Everytime I load the lot and start plopping down cars (doesn't matter the order or which) the game will just stop working. So my theory is...the number of polygons the game is tracking and maintaining reached it's limit and basically can't remember all of those lines/shades/etc and just gives up.

If I load a less intensive lot...I can place all the cars I want. 
Dropping graphics to absolute minimum allows no more than if they are at maximum (where I normally run) regardless of resolution

Anyway I'm posting this here because it's technically an issue with the game not related to installation. I searched the forum for references to how large a lot can be or lot size limit but found nothing. If I have found the actual limit of the game, great I just want to know that what I want can't be done regardless of how much more power I put into my gaming rig.

If you're still reading, thank you. If you have any insight as to the issue I have, awesome. If you just want pictures of what I've done to the source file, I can do that too...it's 4 years old and I haven't really "lived in it" yet

Thank you for your time and attention regarding this issue and I look forward to any feedback

|||||| EDIT ||||||
Adding the download link to anyone who would care to test the theory

http://goo.gl/qdiUxG

//EDIT: Removed AdFly from the link. You are already asking for free support, it doesn't make sense to use an ad service attached to your link. SvenT

Last edited by OSOK on Mon 26 Jan 2015, 23:08; edited 2 times in total

OSOK
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can a Lot be too large?

Post by Ɛɗιη on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 10:25

Hello,

This is an interesting question for sure. Perhaps you are interested in having someone with a more powerful machine try the lot (I'm looking at you, fellow team members) as it is now and see how many cars can be added. 
And yes please show us some pictures too.

I imagine there must be a limit to how many objects can be added to a single lot.

"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"

Ɛɗιη
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 14271

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 11:06

@OSOK wrote:OK...I'm going to ramble, although I will attempt to do so in an orderly fashion.

Fresh install of Windows 7x64 Enterprise SP1

12GB of RAM

GTX 660 the version with 3GB of RAM

Intel i7 975 running at 3.33Ghz

RAID0 configuration for the OS Drive

Fresh install of Sims3 all expansion/stuff packs in "chronological order" 

All updates applied
All store content
All worlds

Size of the DCCache folder 12.2GB
Size of the Mods folder 2.1GB

I will preface this by saying that my game runs stable, a huge part of that reason is this site/community here. my game and install are "perfect" at least as far as the coding of the game will allow. I have no issue or conflict with any piece of content custom/base/store or otherwise, nor do I have any issue with any lot/sim/object I download.  So why am I posting you may be asking? A lot I have been working on for years (not the figurative use of the term "years" but the actual physical measure of time) Has grown. I did not build it from scratch, I used, in my opinion the best Buckingham palace uploaded on TSR. (If you want to see what I was starting with...search the uploader name MrNSheikh) If not it's a 64x64 lot 3 story tall 10 bedroom palace with a furnished price of 1.7million. It's already a ridiculously sized "house"

What I've done to it since 2011 is basically completely renovate and expand it by adding everything to this lot. full court indoor basketball...5 star spa...hot air balloon, snowboard halfpipe skating rink and ice rink (yeah I know both) the flying broom arena thing, bowling alleys, and the list goes on for everything except the "train" (I just can't figure out how to incorporate it into the space yet) how big is it now you ask? 4 floors plus "interactive roof and whatever the maximum amount of sublevels allowable in the game.  All of this works too, without issue. 

The "wall" I keep hitting is when I build the subterranean garage (what do you mean you dont have one) after about the 30th car...the game crashes. Everytime I load the lot and start plopping down cars (doesn't matter the order or which) the game will just stop working. So my theory is...the number of polygons the game is tracking and maintaining reached it's limit and basically can't remember all of those lines/shades/etc and just gives up.

If I load a less intensive lot...I can place all the cars I want. 
Dropping graphics to absolute minimum allows no more than if they are at maximum (where I normally run) regardless of resolution

Anyway I'm posting this here because it's technically an issue with the game not related to installation. I searched the forum for references to how large a lot can be or lot size limit but found nothing. If I have found the actual limit of the game, great I just want to know that what I want can't be done regardless of how much more power I put into my gaming rig.

If you're still reading, thank you. If you have any insight as to the issue I have, awesome. If you just want pictures of what I've done to the source file, I can do that too...it's 4 years old and I haven't really "lived in it" yet

Thank you for your time and attention regarding this issue and I look forward to any feedback

OK, here's my take on this: from what you experienced, you are drawing the (correct) conclusion that there seems to be an issue with how much "content" you can have on a lot. In this case, it seems to be the number of cars. But once your game seems to crash on that issue, I don't really get why you insist (?) on attempting to put 30 cars on a single lot. Smile  Are you using the lot as a community lot (resort) ? In your situation, I would only shrug my shoulders and accept this "limit", but I'll try and help you, with what I myself experienced.

Usually, if a house is really big (lots of stories, lots of furniture, etc.) then you might end up with issues, especially if your computer is weaker. 

The next thing to keep in mind is that TS3 is a so-called 32-bit application, meaning it can only use a maximum of 2GB of the available RAM. You can configure to use more RAM, but in order to do that you'd need a 64-bit operating system, a 64-bit CPU and of course at least 4 GB of RAM or so. I assume you all fulfill these prerequsisites ? Beyond that, you'd also need a motherboard that actually supports "memory remapping" - i.e. allowing a user-application to access more than the standard 2 GB of RAM.

But you're not done yet; here's post in which I describe on how to use the "4GB patch"; please follow the instructions I posted, and apply that to your game:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t17208-sims-3-has-stopped-working#118442

With that, your game can now access more than 2GB of RAM, and this will make a HUGE difference. Beyond that, I'm afraid you'll have to do with fewer cars if it still doesn't work. As for me, maybe I'll try putting 30+ cars on my 64x64 lot. But I actually don't have that much space anymore on the lot to put them on.  Facepalm  Maybe I'll make an underground garage too though. But no promises on anything.

Lady ElDi wrote:Hello,

This is an interesting question for sure. Perhaps you are interested in having someone with a more powerful machine try the lot (I'm looking at you, fellow team members) as it is now and see how many cars can be added. 
And yes please show us some pictures too.

I imagine there must be a limit to how many objects can be added to a single lot.

My machine is actually weaker than the OP's. Sad  

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN ModeratorInspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Male Posts : 12274

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OSOK on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 18:37

Screenshot

Hi thank you for the feedback. Carlos, you reminded me of an edit I made when I installed that was more than a 4gb patch...I don't know if it works or not but I will go back and replicate the steps for the 4gb patch you listed and see.

The screenshot above is from 2 nights ago, I added an entire level bringing the number of above ground stories to 5 and an interactive rooftop.

The underground garage is built but remains empty.

OSOK
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vajtani76 on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 20:25

If you could make the Lot downloadable, without the cars,i would like to have a go at it Very Happy

Vajtani76
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OSOK on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 17:21

I don't have a list of all the custom content needed but sure I'll do that and create a topic in the other forum with the warning of its size

//EDIT

Where can I put this downloadable lot

it's 547mb

I'm not sure but that seems a bit on the "heavy" side

OSOK
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down