Music licence revokal in GTA: San Andreas.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music licence revokal in GTA: San Andreas.

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 18:19

For some reason, I missed out on this one here:  
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141110/09535529096/hooray-licenses-update-strips-17-songs-steam-users-purchased-copies-grand-theft-auto-san-andreas.shtml

So back in November last year (seemingly), Steam copies of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas got "stripped" of some music tracks, because the licences "expired". So you could play the game fully one day, only to find out the next day (after applying the update) that some songs were missing.  Sad

As for me, this is actually the first time that I heard about such a thing. If you already purchased content, then parts of the content get "revoked" retroactively due to DRM issues... ?  scratch 

I'm not going on a rant now, because Rockstar Games are among the VERY few game publishers for which I have the highest respect. But this is one is really unfair. Also, this adds another dimension to the way in which "game clients" like Steam or Origin operate. Sure, I guess you can (somehow) opt not to update the game automatically, but still. The mere fact that Steam/Origin (together with the game publisher) can put in almost anything they want regarding "game updates" is just....
Mad 

I'm glad that I paid for the DVD (non-Steam) version of the game back then, even though the DVD broke in the meantime.

//EDIT

No, it seems you can't "avoid" any game patches in Steam. But feel free anybody to correct me.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14428

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music licence revokal in GTA: San Andreas.

Post by Adwomin on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 21:59

Carlos wrote:(...) because Rockstar Games are among the VERY few game publishers for which I have the highest respect.
What he said.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 20:35

When driving around San Andreas, the music (from the in-game radion stations) was always an essential part of the atmosphere. I wonder how much more it would have cost Rockstar Games, had they chosen "permanent" licenses. But OK, so be it.

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

I saw people backing up their audio streams , and putting the streams back in, after the update. And that seems to work fine. Btw, the same is probably going to happen in GTA IV too, in a couple of years, so you'd all be better off backing up your files NOW, in case the licences expire. If you got the game from Steam, especially.

Haters gonna hate

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 22:31

Carlos wrote:...because Rockstar Games are among the VERY few game publishers for which I have the highest respect.

When people respect crappy ports and ridiculous delays, no wonder the industry is screwed.

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Need For Speed series

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 02:11

Anarchy wrote:
Carlos wrote:...because Rockstar Games are among the VERY few game publishers for which I have the highest respect.

When people respect crappy ports and ridiculous delays, no wonder the industry is screwed.
Lots of people complained about GTA IV being a crappy port.
That might be true, but I did not encounter one performance issue. That it's a port doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.
What kind of issues did you run into?

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 19:08

Admin wrote:
Anarchy wrote:

Lots of people complained about GTA IV being a crappy port.
That might be true, but I did not encounter one performance issue. That it's a port doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.
What kind of issues did you run into?

Well first of all my issues didn't start at GTA IV. With GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas the common problem was always the frame-rate. Back in 2001 - 2006 when I had a mid-range PC I couldn't run Vice City or San Andreas at more than 20 FPS, not even with the graphics set to minimum. After I got a new PC (high-end-ish at the time) I still couldn't play them at more than 29 FPS (in-game frame limiter) because if I tried, they would go nuts on me. In GTA III and Vice City I'd get killed just by walking off a sidewalk (in GTA San Andreas that seems to be restricted to objects, namely the ones you can climb over), and in all three games the driving and A.I. were badly affected (in GTA San Andreas, getting 100% in the driving school is impossible with the frame limiter disabled).

With GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was always just performance issues. But Bully, GTA IV and Max Payne 3 are just horrible ports in general. Bad controls, high tendency to crash to desktop, stuttering, etc. Max Payne 3 seems to be pretty well optimized, but they've made up for that by implementing Rockstar Games Social Club (essentially Games For Windows Live 2.0) which insists on mocking me every chance it gets. And ever since I last re-formatted my hard-drive I can't seem to play Max Payne 3 at all anymore. I contacted Rockstar customer support, and let's just say they make EA customer support look good.

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 20:18

Anarchy wrote:

As a wise philosopher once said: it all depends on the reference point, against you make a decision/judgement. Very Happy  Compared to virtually all other publishers, I'd support Rockstar Games. While I can't say I played all Rockstar games for PC, I did play the oldschool GTA's (III, Vice City, San Andreas), and from those I actually even bought San Andreas, back then. I also bought L.A. Noire, and pirated GTA IV and the Episodes from Liberty City. 

Never had any issues with either of these games, and in case you might think: no, my current PC is very far from being a high-end machine.

Also note that game publishers generally put more emphasis nowadays on the console market, which I agree, is saddening. Game publishers probably think that the console market is more profitable, because the average person will find a console more 'convenient' than a PC. Not everybody seems to have the interest, time or capability to concern himself/herself with selecting a proper (Gaming)-PC configuration. From my own real-life experience, this is pretty much the standard, unfortunately: most people will eventually go for a game console, rather than a good gaming PC. 

But should your reference point be an idealistic notion of "absolute 100% perfection", then you won't be finding it anywhere in life. Just because I was saying that I have respect for Rockstar Games, it does NOT mean that I find them 100% perfect. Wink  See my opening post here (what the thread was originally about): I find that ultra-embarassing from Rockstar. 

But still, sometimes you just have to be "pragmatic" - against what modern educational systems and the mass media preach. And in some cases, that will also mean that you take the things as they are, and make the best of it. But that is off-topic. What else are you going to do about it ? Sure, you may still feel angry/disappointed about [insert name of game publisher here]. But as for me, I got better things to do than feeling angry about EA (the publisher I most hate). And if I don't support a game publisher, but I still find interest in a game, then I pirate it. What's the big deal ?

In case you wonder what I consider a crappy port, that would be "Call of Duty: Ghosts" for me.  

Anarchy wrote:
Well first of all my issues didn't start at GTA IV. With GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas the common problem was always the frame-rate. Back in 2001 - 2006 when I had a mid-range PC I couldn't run Vice City or San Andreas at more than 20 FPS, not even with the graphics set to minimum. After I got a new PC (high-end-ish at the time) I still couldn't play them at more than 29 FPS (in-game frame limiter) because if I tried, they would go nuts on me. In GTA III and Vice City I'd get killed just by walking off a sidewalk (in GTA San Andreas that seems to be restricted to objects, namely the ones you can climb over), and in all three games the driving and A.I. were badly affected (in GTA San Andreas, getting 100% in the driving school is impossible with the frame limiter disabled).

With GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was always just performance issues. But Bully, GTA IV and Max Payne 3 are just horrible ports in general. Bad controls, high tendency to crash to desktop, stuttering, etc. Max Payne 3 seems to be pretty well optimized, but they've made up for that by implementing Rockstar Games Social Club (essentially Games For Windows Live 2.0) which insists on mocking me every chance it gets. And ever since I last re-formatted my hard-drive I can't seem to play Max Payne 3 at all anymore. I contacted Rockstar customer support, and let's just say they make EA customer support look good.

OK, if you wish you discuss about this, feel free to open a new thread, since we're diverting too far from the main message. Smile  Just very briefly: I completed the driving school in San Andreas twice, each time with gold medals on all the tests. Yes, you should turn the frame limiter ON for most of the tests, but if I recall correctly, there was one test which was actually easier, with the frame limiter OFF - the one where you need to drive 5 rounds in under 36 or so seconds, to get gold...

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Mon 13 Apr 2015, 22:55

Yeah sorry I have no idea how to split quotes up in here.

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 14 Apr 2015, 03:20

Anarchy wrote:Yeah sorry I have no idea how to split quotes up in here.

Here in the "PC Games" sub-forum:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/f9-pc-games

Click on the button "New thread" at the topic, which will allow you to open a new topic.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum