The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by scarletrose on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 09:29

In the installation guide it says  "we do not recommend changing the 
installation folder. By default the game will install to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\"

However I CANNOT install on the C: drive since it is a 60GB SSD (used for the OS & related files only! It also has only 8 GBS left!) However I have a 1T B: drive which has around 450GB of space left. In the installation I changed the Install location to say B:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4   (I have ALL the Sims 3 games installed to B:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\) So the EA folder etc is VALID, however AFTER the installation was complete I noticed I only had 100MB!!! left on my C: drive (instead of the original 8GBS), obviously I can't have my main SSD OS drive with the Sims on it with only 100MBs left, so I uninstalled the Sims 4 (which it is currently doing now). I've tried installing it TWICE on my B: drive (uninstalling it each time & each time it turns up on the C: drive leaving me with only 100MBs of space), and it appears somewhere in the coding etc it's automatically FORCING it to be on the C: drive it seems?

My Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 x86 and x64 were/are installed by Origin when I installed the legit copy (not sure if uninstalling the legit copy would remove those, I dont think so though)

My question is: HOW can I get it to install on my B: drive? I previously had a LEGIT copy of the Sims 4 installed on my B: drive in that location through Origin (also origin is installed on the B: drive).
avatar
scarletrose
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DayZ, COD Black OPs, Sims 2, Mario Kart Wii
Female Posts : 139
Points : 2193
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Sydney, Australia.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by DJ. on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:35

Ditto. When I first installed Sims4 (by G4TW) I thought I had accidentally skipped the installation directory, so I uninstalled it from the C: drive it installed to.

I reinstalled Sims4 today, carefully chose to install on D:\Game Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, but to no avail. The installer seems to be hardcoded to ignore user input and install to the default location instead. (I just hope that it isn't.)

G4TW, I see no need to install games and miscellaneous software to the C: (system) drive. Many of us have C: drive reserved for system only files, and (like me) partitioned it to be 70 GB in size. (I even moved my user data from C:\Users to my D: drive!)

Is there any way to make it install to the user-provided destination, instead on the system partition?

_________________
rabbit

DJ.
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 23
Points : 1868
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by scarletrose on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 12:02

@DJ. wrote:Ditto. When I first installed Sims4 (by G4TW) I thought I had accidentally skipped the installation directory, so I uninstalled it from the C: drive it installed to.

I reinstalled Sims4 today, carefully chose to install on D:\Game Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, but to no avail. The installer seems to be hardcoded to ignore user input and install to the default location instead. (I just hope that it isn't.)

G4TW, I see no need to install games and miscellaneous software to the C: (system) drive. Many of us have C: drive reserved for system only files, and (like me) partitioned it to be 70 GB in size. (I even moved my user data from C:\Users to my D: drive!)

Is there any way to make it install to the user-provided destination, instead on the system partition?
Exactly! I feel like there was some code/script on it to stop the user inputting where to install.
Not exactly sure why it must be on C: drive, I was able to install my legit copy to B: drive along with Origin (my main origin directory on B:) & the Visual C++

I guess all we can do is wait to get a response from an admin/helper.
avatar
scarletrose
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DayZ, COD Black OPs, Sims 2, Mario Kart Wii
Female Posts : 139
Points : 2193
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Sydney, Australia.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 12:24

@DJ. wrote:G4TW, I see no need to install games and miscellaneous software to the C: (system) drive. Many of us have C: drive reserved for system only files, and (like me) partitioned it to be 70 GB in size. (I even moved my user data from C:\Users to my D: drive!)

Is there any way to make it install to the user-provided destination, instead on the system partition?


With all due respect, users who only have an SSD are in a very tiny minority. SSD drives are expensive (even tiny ones like yours), and in my opinion not really necessary, unless you are a hardcore gamer. 

And besides: what's the point of using an SSD drive only for the operating system ? Smile  Is the performance significantly better compared to using a HDD ? Yes, I guess Windows can boot up quicker, and it "feels" faster, but beyond that ? OK, Windows itself is faster, but what about any other games/software ? Correct, you'd still have to install them on a "simple" HDD. With average/normal performance.

If you want something really usable, go for a more expensive SSD, with more filespace. Like about 256GB or so ?


@scarletrose wrote:Exactly! I feel like there was some code/script on it to stop the user inputting where to install.
Not exactly sure why it must be on C: drive, I was able to install my legit copy to B: drive along with Origin (my main origin directory on B:) & the Visual C++

I guess all we can do is wait to get a response from an admin/helper.


As for your (original) problem, this is unfortunately due to our modified installer. You could now either try moving the game folder elsewhere, and edit a few registry entries (which I haven't tested myself though, yet, but if done right it should work normally). Or you can use another workaround here:

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location


I wrote this for TS3 originally, but the procedure can be applied to (almost) any folder basically.


Again, I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with our release, but in the end, we will have to evaluate if it's worth the effort of changing the existing stuff, and re-uploading it. One idea we had in mind when choosing the C:\Program files(x86) location is that most people will be familiar with it, from TS3.

Or, buy a "better" SSD straight away. 
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by scarletrose on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 12:42

Carlos wrote:With all due respect, users who only have an SSD are in a very tiny minority. SSD drives are expensive (even tiny ones like yours), and in my opinion not really necessary, unless you are a hardcore gamer. 

And besides: what's the point of using an SSD drive only for the operating system ?   Is the performance significantly better compared using a HDD ? Yes, I guess Windows can boot up quicker, and it "feels" faster, but beyond that ? OK, Windows itself is faster, but what about any other games/software ? Correct, you'd still have to install them on a "simple" HDD. With average/normal performance.

I originally changed over from a laptop to a desktop, my laptop's OS was so sluggish and slow it would take like 5 minutes to boot up, when I got my custom PC built I asked them to put something in the computer which will make it to where the OS boots up and runs quickly, they suggested a SSD, however when I saw the price I was reluctant to purchase any larger than a 60GB since the 60GB one costed me almost $200 AUD. 

Carlos wrote:As for your (original) problem, this is unfortunately due to our modified installer. You could now either try moving the game folder elsewhere, and edit a few registry entries (which I haven't tested myself though, yet, but if done right it should work normally). Or you can use another workaround here:

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location


I wrote this for TS3 originally, but the procedure can be applied to (almost) any folder basically.


I'll try this option, as buying and changing where the OS etc is located/cost would be too much hassles, and I'm willing to try these options.
avatar
scarletrose
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DayZ, COD Black OPs, Sims 2, Mario Kart Wii
Female Posts : 139
Points : 2193
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Sydney, Australia.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 12:50

@scarletrose wrote:
I originally changed over from a laptop to a desktop, my laptop's OS was so sluggish and slow it would take like 5 minutes to boot up, when I got my custom PC built I asked them to put something in the computer which will make it to where the OS boots up and runs quickly, they suggested a SSD, however when I saw the price I was reluctant to purchase any larger than a 60GB since the 60GB one costed me almost $200 AUD. 


Exactly. Those things are extremely expensive. Also, your sluggish laptop might simply be old. I also have an old laptop (with Windows XP, still), and it's *not the fastest thing anymore*. But that is not due to the operating system or any malware/spyware. It's simply because it's old. And as computer components get old, their performance decreases. Same goes for any other thing, like auto parts, household utensils, etc.

In your case, a new HDD would have been sufficient too, but alright. Do keep us posted ! And make sure to read the guide I linked to, very carefully. This is something I would not normally recommend to people, but the reason I put this on here, is for the sake of "completeness" (of our tutorials section) and for the "interested reader".

There is a lot that can go wrong, so be careful !
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by scarletrose on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 13:12

I'll follow the guide now, however I just have a question. If I were to do that method and link it to my B: drive, although the 'link' will still appear on the C: drive, will the SSD drive (C:) go back to 8GBs of space, or will it still remain at 100Mbs?

Also, how would this walk around work when it comes to the ultimate fix and DLCs/Expansions? (I just really hope with the Get to Work exp, and future ones, if it/they require an installation, it isn't locked to the C: drive)
avatar
scarletrose
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DayZ, COD Black OPs, Sims 2, Mario Kart Wii
Female Posts : 139
Points : 2193
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Sydney, Australia.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by sylvantos on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 14:26

You could try using steam mover. Its a very simple free program and uses direct links from one drive or partition to another, so while it might leave the folder in C: drive it will move all the game files and links in the registry to the B: Drive. 

I have used this method a lot of times, in fact using it on legit origin software works perfectly. I moved the original FIFA 14 to my D: drive from my C: Drive, because I reserve only my system files there, and my D: drive is a partition on my C: drive.  So if I wanted to do a reinstall of windows or try out the preview windows 10, i could then reinstall windows and most of my games especially steam games are left in tact and i do not need to install them again Very Happy

Once I install this sims 4 will try to use that app, there is no real reason why it should not work, despite its name steam mover, it will move any file Smile

EDIT: I just tried this method and it works. Now i need to figure out a way to use the gallery not sure if must create fake origin account or not lol

sylvantos
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Posts : 82
Points : 1037
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 15:33

@sylvantos wrote:You could try using steam mover. Its a very simple free program and uses direct links from one drive or partition to another, so while it might leave the folder in C: drive it will move all the game files and links in the registry to the B: Drive. 

I have used this method a lot of times, in fact using it on legit origin software works perfectly. I moved the original FIFA 14 to my D: drive from my C: Drive, because I reserve only my system files there, and my D: drive is a partition on my C: drive.  So if I wanted to do a reinstall of windows or try out the preview windows 10, i could then reinstall windows and most of my games especially steam games are left in tact and i do not need to install them again Very Happy

Once I install this sims 4 will try to use that app, there is no real reason why it should not work, despite its name steam mover, it will move any file Smile

EDIT: I just tried this method and it works. Now i need to figure out a way to use the gallery not sure if must create fake origin account or not lol


Thanks for the input !


However, the method I described above does NOT touch the registry at all. And this fact alone is the reason I would be careful with software like that. Just because it works for you, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for all others, in all cases too.

The method I described only "redirects" the folder, and leaves everything else (registry) untouched. And you can easily "undo" that too.

But certainly, there is third-party software for this kind of stuff too, and it is an alternative solution. Which, again, I myself wouldn't use though.


//EDIT

And besides, it's a good idea to back up the whole registry before trying things like that anyway.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by sylvantos on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 15:43

This app does not actually touch the registry it makes dynamic links from one drive to another. it just makes junction points, and then copies over the files to the other drive leaving the registry links intact, the launcher thinks its on the original drive it is installed on, and launches the game from the other drive.

sylvantos
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Posts : 82
Points : 1037
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 15:50

@sylvantos wrote:This app does not actually touch the registry it makes dynamic links from one drive to another. it just makes junction points, and then copies over the files to the other drive leaving the registry links intact, the launcher thinks its on the original drive it is installed on, and launches the game from the other drive.


And so does the method I described in my link too (if you read it). But still, as I said, it's an alternative solution too. 

Besides, the same what I said above is still valid (with regards to the original problem): if you actually have a big enough SSD or a HDD straight away, it wouldn't be necessary at all to do all of this junctioning or re-directing. The guide I linked to above was primarily intended as an emergency solution; in the event the folder gets too big. 


If you want your tons of Steam/Origin games to migrate to another drive, then yes, that's a completely different issue.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by scarletrose on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 07:42

Sadly I was unable to install the G4TW Sims 4 to my C: drive this morning (due to a graphics card update which was 400Mbs), this meant when trying to install the Sims 4, I got an error stating the drive was too full & to choose another drive (all of them were unselectable, obviously) or to clear some space.  So sadly doing the file walk around was not an option since I couldn't even install on the C: drive to start with.

So I ended up having to install the Sims 4 from a repack of 3DMGAME which uses a launcher of sorts to bypass Origin.
Given this, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the Sims 4 Ultimate fix & future updates from G4TW??
avatar
scarletrose
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DayZ, COD Black OPs, Sims 2, Mario Kart Wii
Female Posts : 139
Points : 2193
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Sydney, Australia.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 10:58

@scarletrose wrote:Sadly I was unable to install the G4TW Sims 4 to my C: drive this morning (due to a graphics card update which was 400Mbs), this meant when trying to install the Sims 4, I got an error stating the drive was too full & to choose another drive (all of them were unselectable, obviously) or to clear some space.  So sadly doing the file walk around was not an option since I couldn't even install on the C: drive to start with.

So I ended up having to install the Sims 4 from a repack of 3DMGAME which uses a launcher of sorts to bypass Origin.
Given this, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the Sims 4 Ultimate fix & future updates from G4TW??

Most likely you won't be able to use any future updates from G4TW, so you should try un-installing that 3DM game, and free up as much space as possible.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by scarletrose on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 12:54

Carlos wrote:
@scarletrose wrote:Sadly I was unable to install the G4TW Sims 4 to my C: drive this morning (due to a graphics card update which was 400Mbs), this meant when trying to install the Sims 4, I got an error stating the drive was too full & to choose another drive (all of them were unselectable, obviously) or to clear some space.  So sadly doing the file walk around was not an option since I couldn't even install on the C: drive to start with.

So I ended up having to install the Sims 4 from a repack of 3DMGAME which uses a launcher of sorts to bypass Origin.
Given this, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the Sims 4 Ultimate fix & future updates from G4TW??

Most likely you won't be able to use any future updates from G4TW, so you should try un-installing that 3DM game, and free up as much space as possible.
Unfortunately I can't free up anymore space (most of the files are either windows updates/system files etc) and I don't want to mess with those.  
I would like to use G4TW because I know and trust all the stuff and it's so simple to use (I have all the G4TW Sims 3 releases etc).  However unfortunately, due to the circumstances, I cannot use the Sims 4 from G4TW, which is a shame.
avatar
scarletrose
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DayZ, COD Black OPs, Sims 2, Mario Kart Wii
Female Posts : 139
Points : 2193
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Sydney, Australia.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by DJ. on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 21:02

Oh my, a lot of replies were added to this thread. I'll add my two cents.

Recently, I wanted to move the Public\Documents and Public\Pictures folders to my D: drive, because the files I was about to add there would add way too much data to my C: drive. The first guide that popped up in a quick google search suggested using the robust copy and directory junction. I applied that knowledge to TS4.

I booted into safe mode and first typed into elevated command prompt (just to be sure):


Code:
robocopy /MIR "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" "D:\Game Files\The Sims 4"

rmdir /s /q "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4"

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" "D:\Game Files\The Sims 4"

robocopy copies all files and folders from one directory to another, including hidden, system files. It's much more thorough than standard CTRL+C command.

rmdir permanently erases the said directory. Use with great caution, and check twice that everything got copied to the new location using robocopy, before using rmdir.

mklink /J creates a "portal" in said directory, that leads straight to the second directory. In shell, the icon of it looks like a shortcut to a folder. That "shortcut" is ~9 GB in size. If you double click the shortcut, the address bar will still read "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\..." (This is important, because it serves as a proof that no registry edits are required.) In other words, it creates a quiet jump point from one point of the computer to the other, without the computer freaking out about missing files or wrong registry keys.

I played the game for a short while, and nothing seems to be out of ordinary.

Carlos, I have never said I own a small SSD. Wink I have a standard HDD. Performance is not an issue to me at all. It's just personal preference to keep the system partition reserved for system only files and programs.

But it's silly, don't you think? To make the installer give as an option for user input, yet it ignores the given directory completely?

_________________
rabbit

DJ.
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 23
Points : 1868
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 21:09

@DJ. wrote:Carlos, I have never said I own a small SSD. Wink I have a standard HDD. Performance is not an issue to me at all. It's just personal preference to keep the system partition reserved for system only files and programs.

But it's silly, don't you think? To make the installer give as an option for user input, yet it ignores the given directory completely?


OK, I assumed from your description that it was the case. But still: for the problem at hand it doesn't matter though if your C: drive is a separate physical drive or just a partition of one (and the same) drive. If your C: partition/drive is just too small, then you might end up with complications, as is the case with the 2 other users here.

I myself have only one single physical drive, and "everything" on it, and I'm absolutely fine with that. In some cases (for reasons of "structure") it might be better to have the Windows stuff and the rest in two different places, but for the average user it shouldn't be necessary.


//EDIT

As for your "mklink"-command, yes, I talked about that, in the guide I wrote and linked to above. But you shouldn't need to boot into safe mode for that (why would you ?). Elevated command prompt - i.e. command prompt run as Administrator - is OK, but safe mode ? I didn't need to do that myself - in Windows 7 at least.

And in case of the OP, it doesn't help, if you cannot install the game in the "right" location at all.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by kpaul10 on Sat 11 Apr 2015, 22:35

Hey guys. I  have a workaround this installation method. By all means do at your own risk, I do not guarantee anything risk free.

Unfortunately, my 2-in-1 computer only comes w/ 32gb usable space (actually about 28.2), so it is not even an option for me to use Carlos's method to install and then move the folder. No amount of programs I delete will give me the space needed for the sims 4. So I decided to temporarily switch my default hard-drive and make the external hard-drive the default, just so I can get through installation. Might want to keep doing this method for any new patches/expansion packs/fixes until Games4theworld provides an option to install where one pleases. 

Here are the instructions to changing the default hdd (works for vista/7/8/8.1):

1. Type “regedit” in Vista start menu search box or in Run dialog box (for XP) and hit enter to continue.
2. Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. Locate the value named “ProgramFilesDir” and change the default value “C:\Program Files” to your new directory path(address).
4. Close the registry editor and reboot your system to apply the change.
5. Good luck!

After I did this, the g4tw installer automatically chose my external drive (G:) to install and it installed successfully. 

**ATTENTION**I did not run any programs like Microsoft word or any unnecessary programs etc...for risk that something might go wrong since they are installed on C: The first time when I switched my default drive, programs like Office and more would automatically switch to my new drive and force close. I had to either re-install all my programs over or recover my computer to a save point...I chose to recover and lost a lot of my files. So please, just run the sims4, install anything that you wish, then switch back to your old C: drive (using same method above), reboot and play.

Worked perfectly for me currently playing G4tw's Sim4 w/ get to work expansion.

kpaul10
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 2
Points : 864
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-04-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by Adwomin on Sat 11 Apr 2015, 22:42

@kpaul10 wrote:Hey guys. I  have a workaround this installation method. By all means do at your own risk, I do not guarantee anything risk free.

Unfortunately, my 2-in-1 computer only comes w/ 32gb usable space (actually about 28.2), so it is not even an option for me to use Carlos's method to install and then move the folder. No amount of programs I delete will give me the space needed for the sims 4. So I decided to temporarily switch my default hard-drive and make the external hard-drive the default, just so I can get through installation. Might want to keep doing this method for any new patches/expansion packs/fixes until Games4theworld provides an option to install where one pleases. 

Here are the instructions to changing the default hdd (works for vista/7/8/8.1):

1. Type “regedit” in Vista start menu search box or in Run dialog box (for XP) and hit enter to continue.
2. Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. Locate the value named “ProgramFilesDir” and change the default value “C:\Program Files” to your new directory path(address).
4. Close the registry editor and reboot your system to apply the change.
5. Good luck!

After I did this, the g4tw installer automatically chose my external drive (G:) to install and it installed successfully. 

**ATTENTION**I did not run any programs like Microsoft word or any unnecessary programs etc...for risk that something might go wrong since they are installed on C: The first time when I switched my default drive, programs like Office and more would automatically switch to my new drive and force close. I had to either re-install all my programs over or recover my computer to a save point...I chose to recover and lost a lot of my files. So please, just run the sims4, install anything that you wish, then switch back to your old C: drive (using same method above), reboot and play.

Worked perfectly for me currently playing G4tw's Sim4 w/ get to work expansion.
Hi there,

That's smart! I will probably add your suggestion to my little guide here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t19572-how-to-move-the-sims-4-to-another-partition-after-installation-fix

Keep in mind that you only need to do this once. The expansion packs and updates will not require an installer.
And indeed, DO NOT run anything when you change the C:\ location. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way. Sad

//EDIT

Not being able to choose where to install the game was not done on purpose, obviously. For some reason I found after uploading the torrent.

_________________
Bonsoir, friend.


~ Nobody's gril. ~
avatar
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211
Points : 1026349
Reputation : 2242
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 15
Location : Del Perro Heights

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by kpaul10 on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 07:18

There must've been a reason why the installer was made that way, so I'm not complaining. I'm just grateful that games4theworld is always providing updates and quality downloads. Never ran into a problem with any of your contents so thank you for doing a great job.

Feel free to do whatever with this little cheat method!! Good job!

kpaul10
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 2
Points : 864
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-04-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by Adwomin on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 11:31

@kpaul10 wrote:There must've been a reason why the installer was made that way, so I'm not complaining. I'm just grateful that games4theworld is always providing updates and quality downloads. Never ran into a problem with any of your contents so thank you for doing a great job.

Feel free to do whatever with this little cheat method!! Good job!
Hi again,

I've added it here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t19572-how-to-move-the-sims-4-to-another-partition-after-installation-fix#134386 , thanks for sharing.
I probably misclicked something or misread something creating the installer. Ah well. Haters gonna hate

We'll leave this topic open for OP to report back.

_________________
Bonsoir, friend.


~ Nobody's gril. ~
avatar
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211
Points : 1026349
Reputation : 2242
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 15
Location : Del Perro Heights

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 11:39

@kpaul10 wrote:(...)

Feel free to do whatever with this little cheat method!! Good job!


Hello,


Thanks for sharing this tip, though I myself probably wouldn't use it. Smile  I'm too afraid that in case of pending system (Windows) updates or similar stuff, that it might mess up my system.

WhatDidUJustCallMe?


But still, you should make sure - if at all possible - to use the right hardware (configuration) straight from the beginning, i.e. a big enough primary hard-drive.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by merlina on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 23:18

For changing the registry key for ProgramFilesDir etc. what about if you have programs running at start up? As long as I don't actually run anything else before I change it back and reboot will I be ok? I'm just paranoid. I would think regardless doing a system restore would change everything back if you screw something up?

merlina
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 9
Points : 569
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4: Installing in the WRONG location. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 01:36

@merlina wrote:For changing the registry key for ProgramFilesDir etc. what about if you have programs running at start up? As long as I don't actually run anything else before I change it back and reboot will I be ok? I'm just paranoid. I would think regardless doing a system restore would change everything back if you screw something up?


Hello,


If you already opened a topic about this issue, please keep all discussions there only, instead of bumping another user's (inactive) thread. Smile  

Since the OP hasn't posted back, I will now close this thread. @scarletrose, feel free to PM me if you still wish to post in this topic, so that I can unlock it again.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14087
Points : 18688
Reputation : 1985
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum