Free VPN that's reliable and doesn't require proprietary software?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Free VPN that's reliable and doesn't require proprietary software?

Post by behensks on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 16:18

Thanks for the explanation. I have a free version of Windscribe that allows 10 GB a month. (I don't think it's just a trial version but I'll find out soon) I'll keep looking for something with a no log policy. I did try OpenVPN but I couldn't get it to work. I had a problem trying to open port 1194 in Norton's. Every time that I tested it my IP would show (Google MY IP and tried several sites). I have Norton's security suite and windows 10 64 bit.

behensks
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 19:49

You're welcome. Smile
Doesn't seem like a trial version, no. It's probably something like TunnelBear, which also allows something like 1GB a month for free.

Here's a list that might help you find something to suit your needs: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
TorrentFreak wrote:Note: several of the providers listed in this article are TorrentFreak sponsors.

This discount code for -50% for TorGuard might still work: TGLifetime50
Most VPN software can be set up to automatically start when you log into Windows. (So you're always connected via the VPN)

OpenVPN can be used to connect to a VPN provider. It's an open-source universal software. Practically all VPN providers provide an OpenVPN (.ovpn) profile, which you can use to connect to their services. Some providers have their own VPN software to make things easier.
Generally you do not need to open ports for the VPN to work. Usually it picks an open port automatically. If not, you should definitely contact them and explain your situation. Usually they have special ports for restricted networks (e.g. work/school/university/public), so you can always connect to the VPN, even when behind a restricted network.

If you still need help setting up the VPN/OpenVPN, feel free to open a new topic on our Forum here: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/f24-software
But I'd recommend to always contact the VPN provider first, as they can help you best with their product.

Adwomin
free society
free society

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 on Wed 16 Nov 2016, 07:00

If your wanting a torrenting friendly VPN you can try SurfEasy . They have a limited free version (about 500MB/mo) which can be increased by doing some activities, but the paid version is fairly cheap for unlimited usage. I've been using them for awhile and am quite satisfied. They are a no-log VPN and have a decent list of servers spread through several countries.

Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are.

Julius Charles Hare

How to install "The Sims 3" correctly: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly
How to Patch The Sims 3 manually: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t1870-can-t-update-the-sims-3-to-v157-fix-manual-patch
The Sims 3 Ultimate Fix: http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t752-the-sims-3-ultimate-fix-should-fix-most-of-your-problems
All ®️ Games4theworld Downloads can be found on: http://www.games4theworld.org , and http://www.games4theworlddownloads.org/
Dracos66
Posting Master
Posting Master

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 & 3
Male Posts : 573

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by behensks on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 02:05

I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m not an expert on this subject. In fact I’ve never taken an IT class (even though my background is in electronics). All of my experience in computing was through trial and error, tips from co-workers or IT people at places I worked, searching the web and from forums like this one.

I would like to thank all of those who took the time to give me some guidance or advice. Your help is greatly appreciated. Maybe I can pay it forward a little and help someone else with what I have learned during my searches.

During my quest to find a free VPN I found a few things that may help.

On an early post I mentioned that I was having troubled with OpenVPN. I was mistaken on the program. The program was vpnbook, it used OpenVPN as a platform. I have windows 10 64 bit and used the 64 bit program for vpnbook and I could not get it to work. I tried different config files with no luck. I finally tried the 32 bit program and it worked for some reason. I was able to start it and find that my IP was in France, Germany and other places depending on which config file I used. The down side is when I ran a DNS leak test my ISP showed up (not so hidden IP). I guess it could be used to look at content that is not available in the US but not much else.

For the record I used whoer.net for checking the IP and dnsleaktest.com for the leak tests.

The free ones that I found that passed both tests were Betternet, Private Tunnel, proXPN and Windscribe.

After doing a google search I found that Windscribe (unless I’m reading it wrong) does have a no log policy (https://windscribe.com/privacy). All of the others list a no log policy. Windscribe does allow a 10 GB per month with an email verification.

If anybody has any experience with any of these or have any comments or hesitations about any of these programs feel free to comment. All feedback (polite of course) will be welcome.

Mod edit: removed text formatting for easier readability. Smile

- The_gh0stm4n

behensks
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 22:58

Hi again,

Good that you did your homework! Very Happy
DNS leaking is indeed another issue. I didn't want to bother you with that (yet), since it sounded like you were new to VPNs. You might also want to turn off IPv6. See this for the right tool to do just that for you: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852  (Choose the one that says "Disable IPv6")

If you're using OpenVPN .ovpn files, there should be a piece of code that prevents DNS leaks. I'm not sure if that works for all providers though, you should test that: block-outside-dns (Add that line to the configuration's .ovpn file)
Oh, I forgot they have a guide about preventing/fixing DNS leaks HERE.
Other than that, some bigger VPN providers that have their own software, usually also have a setting to automatically "Prevent DNS leaks". Check the application's settings for more information. (Or again, contact the provider for help, they are usually very willing to help)

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by behensks on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 00:04

Thank you Adwomin for the info and links. I'll try them out and let you know what happens.

behensks
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by behensks on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 21:11

Running into a bunch of brick walls. The link that you have above to disable IPv6 gave me errors but you had the programs on the 1st page of this thread so I used them. I also tried to enter the line in the config file (all are .opvn files) but the system would not let me save them (access denied). I also tried to go into properties to change the permissions but I couldn't do that either.
I followed the guide that you directed me to and installed dnsfixsetup and ran the IPv6 disable but vpnbook still had a lot of leaks to my ISP. Leaked worst than a screen door on a submarine.
I was hoping to use vpnbook because it doesn't have any download limits but because of the leaks I'll have to stick with one of the other programs I installed. I'm not a big user of torrents (more of an occasional user) so the other program with 10 GB limit should be OK for me.
Thanks again for taking time to help me and for your help and advice. In the mean time I'll keep searching. If you or anyone else knows of a solution please let me know.
Thanks again.

Update - I tried a few more things to stop the DNS leaks in vpnbook and there were some changes. Now when I run a DNS leak test my ISP (Comcast in the US) is not listed. Now it lists Google in Belgium and The Netherlands. I'm not sure if this is safe.
I did manage to get the block outside dns statement in one of the config files.

behensks
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A free VPN that gives good speeds?

Post by kingdomwolf on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 23:26

I have almost every sims 3 expansion from here, and i want to download the others, but I cant find a way to download them without risking getting caught. I had a free trial of freedome, which expired, and I used peerblock to download several, but after doing some research i found out that peerblock apparently does nothing to prevent you from getting caught. I've tried two free vpns (cyberghost and cactus), but they give me horrible speeds to the point where the torrent cant even start. What vpn (either free or with a free trial) do you use?

Mod edit: posts merged.

- The_gh0stm4n
kingdomwolf
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum