Cannot get guitar back in inventory

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cannot get guitar back in inventory

Post by jgf on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 07:22

Quite simply, my sim serenaded his girlfriend in her kitchen; then instead of returning his guitar to inventory he sat it on the floor. Now I cannot get it back into his inventory. Clicking on it merely gives me the three play options (he will play again but when through puts it back on the floor), nor can I drag it to his open inventory. My sim is back home now, and his guitar is across town in his girlfriend's kitchen. How do I get this dolt to retrieve his guitar?

jgf
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cannot get guitar back in inventory

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 21:49

@jgf wrote:Quite simply, my sim serenaded his girlfriend in her kitchen; then instead of returning his guitar to inventory he sat it on the floor.  Now I cannot get it back into his inventory.  Clicking on it merely gives me the three play options (he will play again but when through puts it back on the floor),  nor can I drag it to his open inventory.  My sim is back home now, and his guitar is across town in his girlfriend's kitchen.  How do I get this dolt to retrieve his guitar?

Wouldn't it be better if you just bought your sim a new guitar ? I'm not sure why you can't drag the guitar back into the inventory. 

Theoretically, you could try going into "Map view", and then zooming in on the other sim's house. Looking inside the house (for a start, I guess you'll need the NRAAS Home opener mod for that), you could click on the guitar - while having the NRAAS Debug Enabler mod too - and then selecting Object -> Move to family inventory. See if the mod can move the guitar to the family inventory then.

But this is the type of glitch that I myself don't mess around with. Again, as I said, you might just as well buy a new guitar.

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN ModeratorInspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.
Male Posts : 12316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jgf on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 20:01

I considered that, a guitar certainly isn't expensive, but deemed it a band-aid rather than a solution. With my rosy outlook the first thing that came to mind was - what if my sim sits his new guitar on the floor rather than returning it to inventory? ... I foresee thousands of simoleons invested in dozens of guitars scattered around town.

OTOH, I considered the game may have "hiccuped" and decided the guitar belongs to the house, or one of its occupants, and not my sim, so he can now play it but not take it. I'll delete that guitar, buy a new one, and save. Then return and see if this was a one time glitch or some arcane combination of my particular sim serenading that particular sim in that particular house causing the problem. (Ah, what we go through for our games.)

jgf
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 20:49

@jgf wrote:(...) what if my sim sits his new guitar on the floor rather than returning it to inventory? ... I foresee thousands of simoleons invested in dozens of guitars scattered around town.

(...)

You already anticipated a possible explanation for this: namely a (simple) in-game glicth. You should never "insist" on doing in-game interactions just because you want them to do. The game still has lots of glitches, and they won't be fixed anymore.

You could, however, do the same thing as what I said in my other reply, in the other thread. Open the cheat console, use the testingcheatsenabled true cheat and shift-click somewhere on the floor of that other house. Click on "Buy on this lot", after which you will get to the buy-mode of that house. Use the sledgehammer to delete the "abandoned" guitar, and the money will be added to your (!) household funds.

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jgf on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 04:47

Well, as a newcomer to Sims3 I'm not certain of what may be a one-shot glitch with which I am singularly blessed or a known glitch for which there may or may not be a solution. Usually I endorse the concept of "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove any doubt" but when it comes to games I'd rather be deemed a fool for asking a dumb question than be proven one for ruining my game.

In my brief time with Sims3 I've encountered myriad glitches which either cleared up of their own accord, I found a solution, or I just live with:

- In midsummer the Spooky Day music started playing at full volume; changing volume or even muting in the options menu had no effect. I saved preparatory to exiting and when the excruciatingly long save process finished the music was back to normal.

- In one game it seems if I have a pumpkin at all - in my inventory, in my wife's inventory, in family inventory, in the refrigerator, in my house, in the yard - any day of the year can be Spooky Day. I must deal with Trick-or-Treat people any evening, handing out treats on Snowflake Day or the middle of summer.

- When I first installed Ambitions my sim in Riverview could not use the consignment shop. When the buy/consign menu should appear my view was instantly set outside the shop and my sim was instantly transported back home. Apparently this was due to her vehicle being in her inventory, I dragged it out once before she entered the shop (wonder where it went?) and things have worked fine since.

- One household suddenly complained that there was no path to their microwave, though they had been using it for weeks. I moved it around the kitchen, to no avail. Sold it and replaced it, no luck. Deleted it and replaced it, didn't help. Then, after having saved and reloaded this game several times, they started using it again with no complaints.

- I thought glasses made one sim look too old so took her back to CAS and removed them from all outfits. Now she bathes/showers with her clothes on (I'm using Twallan's Decensor). If wearing her street clothes she will pirouette but still be wearing them, if wearing anything else she will pirouette and don her street clothes. This doesn't materially affect the game so I live with it.

- This one I can see no cure for, and it has effectively ruined one game. My sim was 50 days from transition to elder and his wife was 71 days away, thus close to the same age and appropriately placed on the timeline for their achievements. I installed Ambitions (did nothing else) and when I loaded this game my sim was now 180 days from transition and his wife 300 days.

jgf
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 29 May 2015, 13:46

@jgf wrote:Well, as a newcomer to Sims3 I'm not certain of what may be a one-shot glitch with which I am singularly blessed or a known glitch for which there may or may not be a solution.  Usually I endorse the concept of "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove any doubt" but when it comes to games I'd rather be deemed a fool for asking a dumb question than be proven one for ruining my game.

In my brief time with Sims3 I've encountered myriad glitches which either cleared up of their own accord, I found a solution, or I just live with:

- In midsummer the Spooky Day music started playing at full volume;  changing volume or even muting in the options menu had no effect.  I saved preparatory to exiting and when the excruciatingly long save process finished the music was back to normal.

- In one game it seems if I have a pumpkin at all - in my inventory, in my wife's inventory, in family inventory, in the refrigerator, in my house, in the yard - any day of the year can be Spooky Day.  I must deal with Trick-or-Treat people any evening, handing out treats on Snowflake Day or the middle of summer.

- When I first installed Ambitions my sim in Riverview could not use the consignment shop.  When the buy/consign menu should appear my view was instantly set outside the shop and my sim was instantly transported back home.  Apparently this was due to her vehicle being in her inventory, I dragged it out once before she entered the shop (wonder where it went?) and things have worked fine since.

- One household suddenly complained that there was no path to their microwave, though they had been using it for weeks.  I moved it around the kitchen, to no avail.  Sold it and replaced it, no luck.  Deleted it and replaced it, didn't help.  Then, after having saved and reloaded this game several times, they started using it again with no complaints.

- I thought glasses made one sim look too old so took her back to CAS and removed them from all outfits.  Now she bathes/showers with her clothes on (I'm using Twallan's Decensor).  If wearing her street clothes she will pirouette but still be wearing them, if wearing anything else she will pirouette and don her street clothes.  This doesn't materially affect the game so I live with it.

- This one I can see no cure for, and it has effectively ruined one game.  My sim was 50 days from transition to elder and his wife was 71 days away, thus close to the same age and appropriately placed on the timeline for their achievements.  I installed Ambitions (did nothing else) and when I loaded this game my sim was now 180 days from transition and his wife 300 days.

Sorry for the belated reply,

But I've been away for nearly a month, and I just recently started to get back to messages again (slowly). 

Sometimes, when you install an expansion, things can go glitchy. You could give it a try and re-apply the latest manual patch 1.67 first, and then re-apply the Ultimate fix. The manual patch can sometimes help fix some in-game bugs that pop up especially after installing an expansion.

Other than that, it's recommnded that before installing an additional expansion, you make sure to rename your "The Sims 3"-folder in Documents/Electronic Arts. As the install/patching process can cause things to glitch out there. And after you installed everything, rename that folder back to normal.

About the thing with sims bathing in full clothes, that is usually caused by non-compatible mods. Did you check on that ? Note that because a mod says it is "compatible with a patch version" it doesn't mean everything will be OK. Oftentimes, modders release several mod updates for one and the same patch version. I myself often took out NRAAS mods because I found out that despite the description that they worked for patch level x.xx, they were not compatible at all.

I'm not sure about the rest of the stuff. Have you tried clearing the caches in Documents/Electronic Arts ? I nver had the rest of those glitches myself either...

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jgf on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 21:58

Thanks for the input. (Hope you enjoyed your vacation.)

I long ago learned to, 1 - never add more than one mod at a time to a game, 2 - backup everything.

Oddly, with the exception of the aging in that one save after installing Ambitions, none of these issues coincide with the installation of anything. Some cleared up on their own, others I've learned to live with (though admittedly they may be indicative of deeper problems which may manifest later ...I'll burn that bridge when i get to it).

As for the sim who insists on showering in her clothes, a recent glitch (mentioned in another thread) has made this even stranger. To recap, there were no problems apparent in this save, but I thought her glasses made her look too old so I took her to CAS and removed the glasses - did nothing else. After that she always showered in her street clothes; whatever she was wearing, after pirouetting to change for the shower she would be wearing that dress; after showering she would pirouette and be dressed appropriately for her next task. Thinking twallan's Decensor mod might be involved, I removed it, played a while, saved, exited, reloaded played some more, saved, exited, and reinstalled that mod. Through all this she continues to shower in her everyday dress. Now ... that recent glitch caused the package containing that dress to vanish, so the game replaced it with a default dress; not liking that, and too lazy to dig through my downloads for her original dress, I assigned one from another installed cc package. When she takes a shower now she dons that rather ugly default dress the game assigned when her original dress disappeared. In all other cases shes dresses "appropriately" for the occasion (including when sims throw a pool party in mid winter and all stand around outside freezing in their swimsuits). In CAS this dress does not appear anywhere in her selected clothing, removing Decensor has no effect, and nothing else in this game seems affected; so I tolerate it ...perhaps she has secretly acquired the Never Nude trait.

I only have two EPs installed - Ambitions and Seasons - with no plans to install others any time soon (this is about the limit of what my archaic abacus can handle - Athlon 64x2 3.0gig, 2gig ram, 512meg vid card ...stop laughing). Have 43 mods installed, twelve are twallan mods, a couple more are similar (d/l'd from nraas), about a half dozen automobiles, the rest are clothing and furniture. Will not add more till I become adept with the utilities for checking compatibility and merging.

FTR, I always delete the five xxxcache.package files before starting the game, even if I've made no changes since last playing.

jgf
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum