The Sims 4 for MAC.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 4 for MAC.

Post by Danniryan on Fri May 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi I've downloaded the file to install sims 4 , thinking it would look the same as the sims 3 but its totally different, how do I install sims 4 for Mac? If possible?

Danniryan
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 4 for MAC.

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Danniryan wrote:Hi I've downloaded the file to install sims 4 , thinking it would look the same as the sims 3 but its totally different, how do I install sims 4 for Mac? If possible?

//MOVED

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Sorry, but that doesn't work for Mac OS. The only way you can get it running (to my knoledge at least), is to run it within a Windows environment on Mac (Bootcamp, Parallels, etc.).

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14442

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlwaysSimming on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Carlos wrote:
Danniryan wrote:Hi I've downloaded the file to install sims 4 , thinking it would look the same as the sims 3 but its totally different, how do I install sims 4 for Mac? If possible?

//MOVED

Sorry, but that doesn't work for Mac OS. The only way you can get it running (to my knoledge at least), is to run it within a Windows environment on Mac (Bootcamp, Parallels, etc.).

Yes, Carlos you are correct! I have tired a few different things trying to get it running in the OS X environment but all have failed. Sad

Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : All Sims Games, All Elder Scrolls Games, Mass Effect Trilogy
Male Posts : 72

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MentalScarification on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:28 am

Carlos
DanniryanHi
I've downloaded the file to install sims 4 , thinking it would look the same as the sims 3 but its totally different, how do I install sims 4 for Mac? If possible?

//MOVED

Hey,

I just signed up to mention that it is possible to play Sims 4 without installing Windows or Parallels. You can install the game (even though it's an older version) using Wine. Yeah, it's an older version, but it's an option. It includes the Outdoor Retreat, Get to Work EP and also some deluxe content, which I imagine is better than nothing. 

The way to install all that has been on YouTube for months. I've had the game on my Mac without Bootcamp or Parallels since May. It's not as good as getting the game or installing Windows, since you can't just update, but it's running great for me, until someone finds another way.

MentalScarification
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

Favourite games : Kingdom Hearts, Harvest Moon, Ni No Kuni, The Sims
Male Posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:52 am

MentalScarification wrote:Hey,

I just signed up to mention that it is possible to play Sims 4 without installing Windows or Parallels. You can install the game (even though it's an older version) using Wine. Yeah, it's an older version, but it's an option. It includes the Outdoor Retreat, Get to Work EP and also some deluxe content, which I imagine is better than nothing. 

The way to install all that has been on YouTube for months. I've had the game on my Mac without Bootcamp or Parallels since May. It's not as good as getting the game or installing Windows, since you can't just update, but it's running great for me, until someone finds another way.

Welcome to the forum first of all,

It's good to hear about alternatives like that. Smile  However, please acknowledge that I myself have only limited Mac knowledge, hence these things don't say much to me. In fact, this whole forum is for the most part about giving support on Windows OS.

Also, about the thing with "it has been on YouTube for months"; I'm not sure about how familiar you are with this forum, but the support that we give is more than just some (readily) available YouTube video or guide on the net. It is about coming on here regularly, and helping out the users here. I can imagine that these Mac things have been published already on the net, but currently, we only have very few Mac Helpers, and they are not regularly available either right now.

So yes, in a way, there isn't much I myself can do about this. Maybe when @Phoebe shows up more often again, she will have a look at this. Quite a few people have already been asking us to put up "Sims 4 for Mac", but we cannot give consistent and regular support on it, yet. And who knows if we ever will be able to do it.

P.S. technically WINE isn't that much different from a classic virtual machine: you emulate a different OS environment within a Mac system. Which will need some amount of system resources too, that are better used for apps/games instead. Of course, I can't say I'm an expert on this, and that may be an oversimplification of what WINE is. 

But still, I myself would just install Windows on a different partition of my Mac computer (if I had one, lol). 

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14442

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wataru2 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Use Wine to create a 'wrapper' that as Carlos mentioned, emulate a virtual window (compiling only necessary items). With this, you can install the Sims 4 like windows but run as a regular application on Mac.

Search Wineskin Winery and download it.
After getting that, you update the engine and basically there's an option to create a 'New Blank Wrapper', do that and you'll have a Sims 4 wrapper that will store all the installation for Sims 4.

It works the same as having drive c:/Programx86/Sims 4 on PC but just all within that 'wrapper' you made.

1) Access the Wrapper by right click -> Show package content
2) Double click on wineskin and click install executable
3) Find the 'Setup.exe' or whatever it's called that runs the Sims 4 setup.
4) Choose the setup.exe and install as you do on PC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To access more complex files (EP01, GP01):
1) Right click wrapper -> Show package content
2) there should be a shortcut folder called drive c:/
3) drive c:/Program Files(usually where you installed the game)/ The Sims 4
4) Within this fold is what most call "Directory" where main component of the game, DLC and Add ons are located in.
5) Do not touch any other files are they are more likely needed.
6) Install the crack to game/bin/ as instructed.
--------------------------------------------------------------
To Tweak Wine to your preference:
1) Upon opening wineskin under Show package content of your wrapper
2) you get four options,
    a) Install exe – Install any executable files into this wrapper
    b) Set screen option – FORCE display settings to your preferred resolution
    c) Advanced – Winetricks and Winecfg (not recommended to play around unless instructed)
    d) Exit

wataru2
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum