How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by thatdoggonegirl on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 15:42

Hey, guys. I desperately need your help. So, last night my laptop is doing good and I wasn't experiencing problems not until I restart my laptop and it says "Update then restart" in the power button. It didn't update tho because there's an error then the moment I turned it on, I saw the red X icon on the speaker icon, on the networks icon, and even the Action center in the notification area. I tried to run a system restore but it won't run it and there's always an error. I tried everything especially the system restore and I even tried to format it, I even tried to refresh but there's always an error.

Please help me.

Update:

I tried resetting it today but there's an error now I can't even access to my laptop anymore like once I try turning it on, it always get an error and asks me to restart it but it doesn't make any difference. Oh my God. What is happening to my laptop?

_________________
"Study the greats and become greater." - Michael Jackson

  
avatar
thatdoggonegirl
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Walking Dead Game, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Outlast, Sims 2, 3. and 4, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Shattered Memories, The Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Five Nights at Freddy's, Oni, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us, Call of Duty, InFamous: Second Son, Beyond: Two Souls
Female Posts : 42
Points : 1241
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-09-17
Age : 24
Location : Neverland

View user profile http://thatdoggonegirl.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 02:32

@thatdoggonegirl wrote:Hey, guys. I desperately need your help. So, last night my laptop is doing good and I wasn't experiencing problems not until I restart my laptop and it says "Update then restart" in the power button. It didn't update tho because there's an error then the moment I turned it on, I saw the red X icon on the speaker icon, on the networks icon, and even the Action center in the notification area. I tried to run a system restore but it won't run it and there's always an error. I tried everything especially the system restore and I even tried to format it, I even tried to refresh but there's always an error.

Please help me.

Update:

I tried resetting it today but there's an error now I can't even access to my laptop anymore like once I try turning it on, it always get an error and asks me to restart it but it doesn't make any difference. Oh my God. What is happening to my laptop?

Hello,


Can you enter the BIOS when turning the computer on ? If so, please edit the settings so that the computer will boot from the CD/DVD drive. Insert your Windows 8 DVD, and re-install Windows. 

I honestly don't know what might have happened in your case, but I myself got an error once with Windows 8, in which I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. It turned out to be a glitch with Windows 8, caused by a Windows update. Had to do a system restore (which removed all my installed programs, but kept the personal files).


Sorry, but that's all I can tell

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19688
Reputation : 2094
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by thatdoggonegirl on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 11:57

Carlos wrote:
@thatdoggonegirl wrote:Hey, guys. I desperately need your help. So, last night my laptop is doing good and I wasn't experiencing problems not until I restart my laptop and it says "Update then restart" in the power button. It didn't update tho because there's an error then the moment I turned it on, I saw the red X icon on the speaker icon, on the networks icon, and even the Action center in the notification area. I tried to run a system restore but it won't run it and there's always an error. I tried everything especially the system restore and I even tried to format it, I even tried to refresh but there's always an error.

Please help me.

Update:

I tried resetting it today but there's an error now I can't even access to my laptop anymore like once I try turning it on, it always get an error and asks me to restart it but it doesn't make any difference. Oh my God. What is happening to my laptop?

Hello,


Can you enter the BIOS when turning the computer on ? If so, please edit the settings so that the computer will boot from the CD/DVD drive. Insert your Windows 8 DVD, and re-install Windows. 

I honestly don't know what might have happened in your case, but I myself got an error once with Windows 8, in which I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. It turned out to be a glitch with Windows 8, caused by a Windows update. Had to do a system restore (which removed all my installed programs, but kept the personal files).


Sorry, but that's all I can tell

I fixed my problem last night and it took like 6 hours to format my HDD (I had to and I backed up my files, so, no worries) and re-install Windows 8. 

That's what happened to me too! Wth! I updated my Windows 8 when I restarted it there was an error and then the RED X appeared on my network connection which led me to re-installing Windows 8. 

I managed to fix my problem and it's okay again. I'm just wondering if you're still updating your Windows 8? I'm too anxious to update mine because of what happened.

_________________
"Study the greats and become greater." - Michael Jackson

  
avatar
thatdoggonegirl
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Walking Dead Game, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Outlast, Sims 2, 3. and 4, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Shattered Memories, The Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Five Nights at Freddy's, Oni, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us, Call of Duty, InFamous: Second Son, Beyond: Two Souls
Female Posts : 42
Points : 1241
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-09-17
Age : 24
Location : Neverland

View user profile http://thatdoggonegirl.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by Adwomin on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:12

Hi there,

It's hard to tell what is causing the issue, since we're missing a lot of background information. If you activated your copy of W8.1 correctly, there shouldn't technically be any update issues. (At most it'll fail one or two updates)

By the way, since you're on a laptop, make sure to download all your laptop drivers too!

_________________
Bonsoir, friend.


~ Nobody's gril. ~
avatar
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19210
Points : 1026478
Reputation : 2259
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 16
Location : Del Perro Heights

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by thatdoggonegirl on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 17:42

Admin wrote:Hi there,

It's hard to tell what is causing the issue, since we're missing a lot of background information. If you activated your copy of W8.1 correctly, there shouldn't technically be any update issues. (At most it'll fail one or two updates)

By the way, since you're on a laptop, make sure to download all your laptop drivers too!

All right. I just made a restore point so, just in case, the updates will mess up my laptop again, I'll just do the system restore.

_________________
"Study the greats and become greater." - Michael Jackson

  
avatar
thatdoggonegirl
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Walking Dead Game, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Outlast, Sims 2, 3. and 4, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Shattered Memories, The Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Five Nights at Freddy's, Oni, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us, Call of Duty, InFamous: Second Son, Beyond: Two Souls
Female Posts : 42
Points : 1241
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-09-17
Age : 24
Location : Neverland

View user profile http://thatdoggonegirl.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by Adwomin on Fri 19 Jun 2015, 21:19

Hi there,

That's a good idea too! And always have a backup of your important data, of course. Very Happy

Assuming your issue is solved for now; is there anything else we can currently help you with?

_________________
Bonsoir, friend.


~ Nobody's gril. ~
avatar
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19210
Points : 1026478
Reputation : 2259
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 16
Location : Del Perro Heights

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 03:00

@thatdoggonegirl wrote:
I fixed my problem last night and it took like 6 hours to format my HDD (I had to and I backed up my files, so, no worries) and re-install Windows 8. 

That's what happened to me too! Wth! I updated my Windows 8 when I restarted it there was an error and then the RED X appeared on my network connection which led me to re-installing Windows 8. 

I managed to fix my problem and it's okay again. I'm just wondering if you're still updating your Windows 8? I'm too anxious to update mine because of what happened.

I'm honestly unsure what to suggest. I myself only use Windows 8 for "testing purposes". I installed Windows 8 on a backup hard-drive, and whenever I want to use Windows 8, I just switch the hard-drives on my main desktop machine. Most of the time I work with Windows 7, which I still find the best Windows ever.

Very embarassing from Micro$oft, that a Windows update can break the system totally.


Maybe for now it would be better if you didn't update the game, but I don't know...

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19688
Reputation : 2094
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by thatdoggonegirl on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 14:30

Admin wrote:Hi there,

That's a good idea too! And always have a backup of your important data, of course. Very Happy

Assuming your issue is solved for now; is there anything else we can currently help you with?

I'm not experiencing any problems, for now. Razz Just some questions tho. You guys can mark this as solved.

I noticed that Windows 8 on my laptop is buggy, is it the Windows 8 fault? Lmao.

_________________
"Study the greats and become greater." - Michael Jackson

  
avatar
thatdoggonegirl
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Walking Dead Game, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Outlast, Sims 2, 3. and 4, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Shattered Memories, The Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Five Nights at Freddy's, Oni, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us, Call of Duty, InFamous: Second Son, Beyond: Two Souls
Female Posts : 42
Points : 1241
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-09-17
Age : 24
Location : Neverland

View user profile http://thatdoggonegirl.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by thatdoggonegirl on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 14:32

Carlos wrote:
@thatdoggonegirl wrote:
I fixed my problem last night and it took like 6 hours to format my HDD (I had to and I backed up my files, so, no worries) and re-install Windows 8. 

That's what happened to me too! Wth! I updated my Windows 8 when I restarted it there was an error and then the RED X appeared on my network connection which led me to re-installing Windows 8. 

I managed to fix my problem and it's okay again. I'm just wondering if you're still updating your Windows 8? I'm too anxious to update mine because of what happened.

I'm honestly unsure what to suggest. I myself only use Windows 8 for "testing purposes". I installed Windows 8 on a backup hard-drive, and whenever I want to use Windows 8, I just switch the hard-drives on my main desktop machine. Most of the time I work with Windows 7, which I still find the best Windows ever.

Very embarassing from Micro$oft, that a Windows update can break the system totally.


Maybe for now it would be better if you didn't update the game, but I don't know...

Oh, all right. Now, I'm wondering if there'll be a Windows 10 Upgrade Icon going to appear in the notifications bar?

_________________
"Study the greats and become greater." - Michael Jackson

  
avatar
thatdoggonegirl
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Walking Dead Game, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Outlast, Sims 2, 3. and 4, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Shattered Memories, The Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Five Nights at Freddy's, Oni, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us, Call of Duty, InFamous: Second Son, Beyond: Two Souls
Female Posts : 42
Points : 1241
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-09-17
Age : 24
Location : Neverland

View user profile http://thatdoggonegirl.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 02:12

I also got my Windows 8 from G4TW here, and it's not buggy at all, so I'm unsure. And no, I don't think you'll get a notification about Windows 10 on your system. Smile 

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19688
Reputation : 2094
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by Adwomin on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 14:21

Why not? For as far as I know, the icon is forcing itself on all Windows systems.
They are so persistent and pushy, that the icon even re-appears after a system restart after you've hidden it.

_________________
Bonsoir, friend.


~ Nobody's gril. ~
avatar
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19210
Points : 1026478
Reputation : 2259
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 16
Location : Del Perro Heights

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by thatdoggonegirl on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 15:47

It appeared on my laptop. Wow. I just installed all the updates until the Windows 10 Upgrade Icon appeared on my notifications bar. Wow! You guys should try it. I already reserved mine. Very Happy

_________________
"Study the greats and become greater." - Michael Jackson

  
avatar
thatdoggonegirl
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Walking Dead Game, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Outlast, Sims 2, 3. and 4, Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Shattered Memories, The Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Five Nights at Freddy's, Oni, Heavy Rain, The Wolf Among Us, Call of Duty, InFamous: Second Son, Beyond: Two Souls
Female Posts : 42
Points : 1241
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-09-17
Age : 24
Location : Neverland

View user profile http://thatdoggonegirl.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum