Need help with Sims 3/CC Magic and mklink

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with Sims 3/CC Magic and mklink

Post by Veroxion on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:24

Hi there, I followed the tutorial here to mklink my Sims 3 folder to another hard drive, and was redirected here for help. Smile I'll paste what I posted there. 

I used this guide to create a mklink for my Sims 3 folder, as well as CC Magic because I can't have them on my C: drive any longer because of space. I've tried both /D and /J commands out and it yields the same results.

The mklink works fine and creates the folders, but CC Magic will now either a) crash immediately on start-up when I leave the original there b) will no longer even open if I use mklink for CC Magic.  

My game crashes immediately when I try and start it with 3booter (as I can't start it with CC Magic), giving me the service initialization failed error.

Is there anything I can do? Everything works fine when I delete the mklink and put the original folders back, so I know this problem is caused by doing this.

Veroxion
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help with Sims 3/CC Magic and mklink

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:50

@Veroxion wrote:Is there anything I can do? Everything works fine when I delete the mklink and put the original folders back, so I know this problem is caused by doing this.

Did you at first create the symbolic link for CC Magic, and THEN installed items - with CC Magic ? Or did you do it "the other way round" ?

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veroxion on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 11:57

I already had items installed with CC Magic before I created the link, I hope that answers your question.

Veroxion
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:06

@Veroxion wrote:(...), I hope that answers your question.

It actually brings up more questions, but OK. Very Happy  For example, did you add items AFTER creating the symbolic link for the CC Magic folder...? You are technically not supposed to do that.

Assuming you did everything correctly (which I suspect you didn't), I can't explain why it's not working. I think there is also a misunderstanding about the nature of creating symbolic links: when you create these, you do NOT change anything about any folder contents or structure: you "only" relocate the folders. So normally it should work with any folder.

Beyond that, I haven't used CC Magic myself in ages, so I would need to familiarize myself with it again; and given the fact that I myself don't have much time (anymore), that may be difficult.

If you can't find out what you did wrong or what else might be the reason for it, I'd suggest you free up space on C:, and put everything back where it originally was. You'll need free space anyway, for the operating system to work properly, and if you run too low on space, you might run into problems of all sorts. Feel free to wait for a second opinion though.

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veroxion on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:25

That's always good to know...  Why God.

No, I haven't added anything to CC Magic or altered the folder in any way apart from moving it to D: since that's where I wanted it. I tried to open it immediately after I created the link, which is when I ran into this problem.

I'll have a good hard think about what I possibly did wrong, whatever it was it certainly isn't obvious.  Why.

Veroxion
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:30

@Veroxion wrote:That's always good to know...  Why God.

No, I haven't added anything to CC Magic or altered the folder in any way apart from moving it to D: since that's where I wanted it. I tried to open it immediately after I created the link, which is when I ran into this problem.

I'll have a good hard think about what I possibly did wrong, whatever it was it certainly isn't obvious.  Why.

Sorry to hear that, but I suspect (or even recall faintly ?) that there may be more folders related to CC Magic, than the main one from Documents\Electronic Arts\CC Magic. Should that be the case, you'd have to relocate those additional folders too. But I may be totally wrong on that.

As I said, maybe someone else can give better insight on this. Whatever needs to be done, good luck though !  Carlos is tha man

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Veroxion on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 12:35

That is indeed the folder I moved. Smile The only others one I can think of are inside The Sims 3 folder so would be moved along with it. Thanks for replying!

If worse comes to worse, I'll grit my teeth and suck it up lol.

Veroxion
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum