What should I Buy? [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What should I Buy? [SOLVED]

Post by Keyenpeydee on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 15:12

Okay. So Here's my Question to all of you. If you're on my situation, What should I do? Opinions are accepted here.  IAmSoHappyEmergahwd (Srlsy?)

So, What should I Buy? A Laptop or Computer For The Pirated Sims 4 with a Graphics (If only I'm not poor, I should buy a Computer or Laptop for a Legit Sims 4 with all it's paid dlcs) Or The new iPhone 6S?

I have a Laptop. It's not for gaming. My Sims 4 sometimes is lagging but it's okay to me to play with it.

I have a slow phone. It sucks. Like you wanna throw it away because it's lagging. And I don't even have an iPhone..

So What will I buy? (Or if you're in my situation, What should you buy?)  That something is worth it. Both are okay with our Budget (But I should pick one) and I think some Computers are so expensive just to buy a New Computer for a Pirated Sims 4 that's updated every 3 months? Gooshh. But..

For me, I Like the iPhone 6S for me. But I should take some opinions from you guys.
Keyenpeydee
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims 3,
Male Posts : 208

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What should I Buy? [SOLVED]

Post by Shamrock on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 20:12

Hello,

Opinion from a tech guy: buy a better laptop, and buy an Android. Much more afordable, and sooooo much better! Wink

Shamrock  

Please PM or e-mail me for any help or advice!
Shamrock
Forum Moderator
Taking care of the Forum
Forum Moderator Taking care of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3 (series), Warcraft III, Civilization V, Vampire Bloodlines, Football Manager 2012, Pokemon games
Male Posts : 3179

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyenpeydee on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 17:09

I have an android phone but I want an iPhone.
I only need to choose one.
For you, What do you think is better?
Keyenpeydee
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims 3,

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Fri 11 Sep 2015, 17:29

Depends on what you want mate:

-For gaming, definitely a desktop. There is no such thing as a gaming laptop, I don't care what anybody says. The so called "Gaming laptops" typically cost three times as much as their desktop counterparts and drain the battery before you can get any gaming done.

-For work, I'd still go with a desktop. Laptop hard drives have a very short lifespan.

-For The Sims 4, get a desktop. The cheapest one you can find. The Sims 4 was cut and chopped so much it can run on pretty much any up-to-date (new) PC hardware.

-For throwing against the wall, get a laptop. More aerodynamic.

Would be easier to recommend something if I knew your budget.

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Need For Speed series

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topken on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 07:11

Yeah a budget would go a long way to knowing what can be purchased

Topken
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kitty10136 on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 07:03

I'd get the desktop. Back when I played sims 2...it seems such a distant memory now...anyway...back when I played Sims 2 I started playing on a desktop. I then moved to a laptop. I missed the desktop because (1) the screen is bigger...for those of us who have trouble seeing; (2) it simply ran better...it wasn't choppy after a few hours of switching back and forth between time speeds, and; (3) the graphics was waaay better. So...

Get a desktop.

Last edited by kitty10136 on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 07:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Does there have to be a reason?)

Quartermaster Rookie
Gallery Super-Seeker
Quartermaster Rookie Gallery Super-Seeker

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4
Female Posts : 326

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyenpeydee on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:49

Alright Guys,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am a teenager. I just want to have your suggestions on what I should buy. Cause I am not buying my gadgets. My Father buys me gadgets.

I have decided that I will buy a phone. And I want to purchase the iPhone for myself. (Last January, I'm crying for an iPhone but then I stopped because they don't want me to buy it just because I have bad grades) The reason why I want an iPhone because it's so popular and I have a slow samsung android so I'm buying an apple for me. Yey!

So, Yeahh. I miss the ultimate fix thread! The theory we're talking, Why it's so long to update it. so anybody wants to open a topic for us missing the thread? haha. 
Keyenpeydee
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 14:38

@Keyenpeydee wrote:Alright Guys,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am a teenager. I just want to have your suggestions on what I should buy. Cause I am not buying my gadgets. My Father buys me gadgets.

I have decided that I will buy a phone. And I want to purchase the iPhone for myself. (Last January, I'm crying for an iPhone but then I stopped because they don't want me to buy it just because I have bad grades) The reason why I want an iPhone because it's so popular and I have a slow samsung android so I'm buying an apple for me. Yey!

So, Yeahh. I miss the ultimate fix thread! The theory we're talking, Why it's so long to update it. so anybody wants to open a topic for us missing the thread? haha. 

First off, I'm not so sure that if we knew your exact budget, it would help much with your decision-making in this case. The exact budget would be important if the original question was about e.g. specific computer types/models. But if the question here is "iPhone or computer?" then I'm not so sure. 

I'll assume you would want the latest iPhone ? If yes, then it's most likely going to be more expensive than the average laptop, or even (prebuilt) desktop systems. And from there, all we probably could say with knowledge about the budget is something along the lines of "well, if the budget is enough, go for the more expensive item, and if not, go for the cheaper one...". Anything else is just a discussion about whether you like or dislike computers or iPhones, respectively.

So much for the introduction. Very Happy  If you want the iPhone, and your budget is enough, then go ahead. If you don't play many other games besides TS4, then your old computer is still good enough. I myself would actually go for an Android, rather than paying a fortune for an overpriced and overhyped Apple-product, but that's up to you of course.

Other than that I would go for a cheap pre-built desktop system in your case. Most of these prebuilts should be strong enough to handle TS4. Note that "somewhat good" laptops that can be used for gaming purposes are extremely expensive; usually around 1,000 Euros/USD and upwards, unless there is some crazy discount going on (Christmas, etc.). Pre-built desktop computers are almost always cheaper and also better suited for gaming than any laptops. The average laptop will only have an "integrated graphics chip", and that may be enough for office applications and light multimedia (YouTube/watching videos, listening to music, etc.). But it may not be enough for playing games.

And about the TS4 Ultimate fixes-thread: feel free to open a new discussion thread anytime here in the TS4 chit-chat. The original thread was only meant for "thank you-messages", but people started posting all kinds of stuff there, despite millions of friendly reminders from me, the Admin, coolcandy and other team members to post discussions elsewhere. And at one point, people started complaining about "deleted messages" in that thread (see this here for example), so I decided to close it. And as far as I am concerned, it'll stay closed. The Admin may think otherwise though, but we'll see. This here isn't Facebook where people can post "whatever they want, wherever they want it"; we have the main forum sections for a reason. Smile 

Forum rules // Forum FAQ // G4TW downloads // Sims store, guides & more (beta) // G4TW on Piratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Please post game issues on the Forum only. For more general questions about site navigation, you may also e-mail me !

The_gh0stm4n
Supervising Moderator
Inspector General & Chief of Staff
Supervising ModeratorInspector General & Chief of Staff

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth & Afterbirth †
Male Posts : 13459

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk9 on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 03:45

If you want it portable, get a good laptop

kirk9
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 19:47

@kirk9 wrote:good laptop

That's a contradiction.

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Need For Speed series

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk9 on Fri 18 Sep 2015, 05:12

If you really want something for gaming, take a look at the Asus Rog or MSI Nline of laptops, the price/performance is great

kirk9
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk9 on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 03:20

One of my friends has a new Asus laptop at $1000 that can play high end games pretty well
http://pc4u.org/best-gaming-laptop/

kirk9
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AspiringPro on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 20:14

Carlos wrote:I myself would actually go for an Android, rather than paying a fortune for an overpriced and overhyped Apple-product, but that's up to you of course.
Exactly my thoughts! I was starting to feel like I was the only one that didn't fall into the "iPhone" daze, blindly buying an inferior product (when Androids have always been more advanced) just because everyone else has one. Don't mean to sound pessimistic or anything, i'm sure the iPhone has a good feature or two, but most of what they newly-come out with have already been on Androids or Windows computers ("speaking" device) for years. Why pay $600-$800 for something when you can get the exact same features for nearly one-fourth of that? And on a more attractive (in my opinion) system? Not something i'd do but hey, you're a teenager @ OP so name brands still have a large relevancy in your life, that being said get what you want.

AspiringPro
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyenpeydee on Tue 03 Nov 2015, 19:49

Thank you guys for all the ideas.
I have bought, The Samsung S6 Edge and I'm now okay with that. I don't plan to buy a Computer this year or early next year. And,
I'm planning to buy a new gaming laptop or computer if my favorite expansion pack is released.. And It's pets or If they add toddlers or released a better expansion pack.

[TOPIC CLOSED]  
Keyenpeydee
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topken on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 09:09

Carlos you forget not everyone buys a Phone out right AKA you don't pay $650+ in one go for a phone you pay in installments over time like say 1 and half to 2 years. As for a laptop/PC you tend to buy those outright meaning you are paying the full cost upfront for the device unlike a Cellphone which is spread out over 1+ years.

Topken
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 10:20

@Topken wrote:Carlos you forget not everyone buys a Phone out right AKA you don't pay $650+ in one go for a phone you pay in installments over time like say 1 and half to 2 years. As for a laptop/PC you tend to buy those outright meaning you are paying the full cost upfront for the device unlike a Cellphone which is spread out over 1+ years.

Interesting point @TopkenSmile  I do want to try and go into more details about it.

Obviously, my suggestion above is based on my own experiences and 'preferences': the things I myself have done/experienced, and the way which I go about financial matters in life. 

I am aware that nowadays, the average person does indeed not pay the whole price of certain higher-end products immediately, and in one batch. Be it cellphones, cars, or often also new sets of furniture. Companies always appear to offer financing plans at "very low interest rates". 

I myself used to use discounted and higher-end cellphones that came along when you make a contract with a phone company; back then in the early to mid-2000s. The phones that come in such packages either don't cost anything at all, or cost a "symbolic" amount of money only. Sounds cheap ? I don't know. For me back then, when I was still in high school it didn't matter that much, as my parents were paying for my phone bills. Out of interest I did research, and I found that it would have been much cheaper if that phone had been "bought out" at full price straight off, and if pre-paid credits had been used instead of this contract. A contract which - as I found - was only beneficial for the phone company.

Of course, not all telecommunication companies are like that. Sometimes you can indeed get cellphones & contracts on good conditions, but in my experience this is rare. 

From a psychological point of view (and bigger companies and corporations often hire specially trained psychologists to develop and work on these "marketing strategies" !), a phone that does not seem to cost a lot at first sight certainly seems attractive. But is it really cheaper in the long run ? Again, in my own experience it usually isn't. 

A lot of teenagers, young adults and more and more often older adults too don't seem to "think ahead" sufficiently, and then end up in debt. People should always ask themselves the following: In a few years, will I still be able to abide by the contract that I am about to make right now ?". Now a phone contract alone does not seem to make much of a difference in a person's financial matters. But keep in mind that lots of people nowadays have a variety of (long-term) contracts, be it about cellphones, music/video-streaming services, pay-TV contracts, magazines, newspapers, and much more. And you can't always assume that you can simply cancel those contracts before the date that was agreed upon; you really need to read the "fine print" beforehand. Many people say "yes, I'll pay the stuff sometime else". But that alone does not always have to be bad.

Still, I myself like to have "clarity" as quickly as possible, and I always try to think in longer terms, rather than "short term pleasures". Hence if I were to buy an iPhone, I myself would indeed save up and then buy the full price for the phone. And then buy pre-paid credits.

Let's not get too off-topic though. Very Happy  alien 

Last edited by Carlos on Tue 24 Nov 2015, 03:24; edited 1 time in total

Forum rules // Forum FAQ // G4TW downloads // Sims store, guides & more (beta) // G4TW on Piratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Please post game issues on the Forum only. For more general questions about site navigation, you may also e-mail me !

The_gh0stm4n
Supervising Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth & Afterbirth †

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 21:35

I agree with you, Carlos! And nowadays, for some reason I do not understand, phones seem to be crazy expensive, with prices compared to laptops!!!

I can't see myself paying 650 dollars plus tax (or even more) for a 6 inches phablet, when I can get a laptop plus a 50 dollars phone with about the same money and tether the data if I need "all" that mobility (or just get a 200 bucks decent windows tablet and the same 50 bucks phone).

Truly said, if the buyer really uses a ton of data/voice/sms/whatever else and a 24 month plan may be a good fit, go ahead, otherwise I say no way!

I have a pre-paid service, I spent LESS than 10 dollars this ENTIRE year. Ok, I tricked them with the expiration date, but even without doing that, I could still have my line not disconnected for about 15 US$ / year if I don't care about using my phone to make collect/free calls for some of the time, but I am an exception to the rule, I barely leave the house and I use VOIP for regular calls.

A good thing we got from going to Law School, @Carlos, is this way of thinking! Really, most people don't care about the consequences of the contracts they get into (if we sometimes slip here and there, imagine people who did not study the subject!), then they are literally robbed under the daylight, and they sometimes think they are the wiser, so sad Sad

If someone has to force a product into you, it must not be good, or the price must not be right, or something about it must be wrong! Trust me, nobody will pay a sales person to call you or knock your door, or be on the sidewalk bothering people if their item is good and their price is fair or better!!

Even price comparison sites won't list items per real price by default!!!

Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3

The Sim Architect

It was nice being here. I will be away for a while...

Sim Architect
Entertainer
I'll make you smile
Entertainer I'll make you smile

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 1853

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 23 Nov 2015, 05:40

@Sim Architect wrote:I agree with you, Carlos! And nowadays, for some reason I do not understand, phones seem to be crazy expensive, with prices compared to laptops!!!

(...)

A good thing we got from going to Law School, @Carlos, is this way of thinking! (...)

Even price comparison sites won't list items per real price by default!!!

Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3 Tea 3

It's been a little while though since I had anything to do with law or law school... Razz  but yes, people will need to learn to be more pragmatic, and think ahead in these things. Also take into account that if a child doesn't learn at least basics of how to deal with money, then it's going to be even harder for him/her to deal with these things as an adolescent/adult. Given the fact that most parents nowadays are just crappy (sorry), the outlook isn't exactly positive here. And of course: corporations and bigger companies are aware of these social "trends" and developments, and will do everything they can to capitalize on this.

About phone prices, keep in mind that the cellphones of today are technically very sophisticated little computers basically. They're in no way comparable to the cellphones that I used back then in highschool, over 10 years ago. Nowadays, everybody wants to have full multimedia and internet support on their phones, including e-mail + social networking features. I do recall though, that the higher-end cellphones back then also cost a ton of money, if you wanted to buy them out immediately (without a contract). The differences between now and then aren't that big in my eyes.

And finally, take into account that so-called "price comparison platforms" also need to finance themselves somehow. How else are they e.g. going to pay for the hosting of their webpages ? For the salaries of any employees ?

The_gh0stm4n
Supervising Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 28 Nov 2015, 23:06

Carlos wrote: and I found that it would have been much cheaper if that phone had been "bought out" at full price straight off, and if pre-paid credits had been used instead of this contract. A contract which - as I found - was only beneficial for the phone company.

(...)

a phone that does not seem to cost a lot at first sight certainly seems attractive. But is it really cheaper in the long run ? Again, in my own experience it usually isn't.
What he said. is exactly why I've never even considered a contract to pay for a phone, because it will always - I doubt that there are any exceptions - be more expensive than buying it at once. I just save up and buy the phone for the "full" price.
If you think about it, it'd not make sense for the company to make paying in terms cheaper than paying at once, because it'll take more time for them to get their money.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19214

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 30 Nov 2015, 05:24

Admin wrote:What he said. is exactly why I've never even considered a contract to pay for a phone, because it will always - I doubt that there are any exceptions - be more expensive than buying it at once. I just save up and buy the phone for the "full" price.
If you think about it, it'd not make sense for the company to make paying in terms cheaper than paying at once, because it'll take more time for them to get their money.

Yes, that's the next dimension: there are costs for the company such as administrative costs for maintaining these contracts (someone has to "keep the books", and even if that someone just maintains the computer software that does the actual work). Plus, the company will take into account issues such as money inflation and interest rates in general.

And with the rapidity of technological developments, the precious phone that you bought, either by contract or at full price, will become (technologically) obsolete anyway after about a year, or even earlier than that. 

As hinted, many people should really learn thinking ahead. And maybe try keeping it "oldschool" ?  Haters gonna hate

OK, that is even for me a bit "too oldschool".  I tip my fedora.

The_gh0stm4n
Supervising Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Mon 30 Nov 2015, 05:54

Carlos wrote:
Admin wrote:What he said. is exactly why I've never even considered a contract to pay for a phone, because it will always - I doubt that there are any exceptions - be more expensive than buying it at once. I just save up and buy the phone for the "full" price.

Yes, that's the next dimension: there are costs for the company such as administrative costs for maintaining these contracts (someone has to "keep the books", and even if that someone just maintains the computer software that does the actual work). Plus, the company will take into account issues such as money inflation and interest rates in general.

And with the rapidity of technological developments, the precious phone that you bought, either by contract or at full price, will become (technologically) obsolete anyway after about a year, or even earlier than that. 

As hinted, many people should really learn thinking ahead. And maybe try keeping it "oldschool" ?  Haters gonna hate

OK, that is even for me a bit "too oldschool".  I tip my fedora.
It looks like my current cell phone Very Happy

The Sim Architect

It was nice being here. I will be away for a while...

Sim Architect
Entertainer
I'll make you smile
Entertainer I'll make you smile

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 1853

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 08 Dec 2015, 02:07

@Sim Architect wrote:It looks like my current cell phone Very Happy

OK, since the OP isn't going to post back (and the original question seems to be solved anyway), I'll close this now. Smile

The_gh0stm4n
Supervising Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum