Enough content for what I want to build?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enough content for what I want to build?

Post by Topken on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 00:59

Here is what I am thinking. I want to build either a wizard tower or a Witches house and I will likely at some point end up building both. I know that the Sims 4 is pretty much missing everything I currently need to build either let alone both and I was wondering if the Sims 3 has everything or nearly everything I am going to need for either build. If I have to install a few pieces of CC I will but before I do any of that I wanted to get the community's thoughts on if this is feasible or not since right now its not at all feasible with the current state of The Sims 4. Also how much of a difference in building is it going to be from going from The Sims 4 to The Sims 3? I have heard there is a few differences at least such as build a foundation first otherwise you are going to have to delete and start from scratch for example. Anything else I need to know before I start building these? I did grab all the store build/buy objects that I could from the other Games4theworld download site. Will that be everything I need or not?

Topken
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Enough content for what I want to build?

Post by darkgoddessnight on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 14:22

Topken,

As a player of both The Sims 3 and the Sims 4, I can tell you the Sims 3 is so much better when it comes down to content and game play. They both have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to building. The Sims 4, while easier to manipulate in terms of building houses, is lacking so much, such as the inability to make two separate building heights (such as a house on a foundation and a garage that is not), different terrains (such as a hillside or sharp drop off), and landscaping differences (such as the same type of plant with multiple sizes/different foliage).

The Sims 3 by itself isn't going to be enough to cover a really good wizard's tower or witch's home. You will be needing some expansion packs. I'll just go ahead and suggest Dragon Valley for some awesome medieval stuff and Supernatural for it's actual witches, wands and magical accouterments. Then there is also some voodoo and other magic stuff from store packs, such as a magic cauldron and Lady Goth's book of spells.

Hope that helps!
DGN

darkgoddessnight
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Witcher 1, 2, & 3, The Sims 3, Skyrim, Baldur's Gate, Torment, Dragon Age, Munchkin
Female Posts : 14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 15:26

@darkgoddessnight wrote:Topken,

As a player of both The Sims 3 and the Sims 4, I can tell you the Sims 3 is so much better when it comes down to content and game play. They both have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to building. The Sims 4, while easier to manipulate in terms of building houses, is lacking so much, such as the inability to make two separate building heights (such as a house on a foundation and a garage that is not), different terrains (such as a hillside or sharp drop off), and landscaping differences (such as the same type of plant with multiple sizes/different foliage).

The Sims 3 by itself isn't going to be enough to cover a really good wizard's tower or witch's home. You will be needing some expansion packs. I'll just go ahead and suggest Dragon Valley for some awesome medieval stuff and Supernatural for it's actual witches, wands and magical accouterments. Then there is also some voodoo and other magic stuff from store packs, such as a magic cauldron and Lady Goth's book of spells.

Hope that helps!
DGN

TLlDR: The Sims 4 is weak but easy to use, The Sims 3 is complex but not as easy to use.

Technically speaking the only thing The Sims 4 build mode has that The Sims 3 doesn't is the ability to place windows at varying heights. Everything else exists in The Sims 3 in one form or another (if it's not available as a normal feature, it can probably be done through developer commands, like changing wall heights).

The Sims 4 even lacks moveobjects by default. That command has been in the series since the first installment...

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Need For Speed series

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SeoY on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 16:15

@Anarchy wrote:
[...]
The Sims 4 even lacks moveobjects by default. That command has been in the series since the first installment...

Not since December 2014. Perhaps you stopped following development updates?

"Shhh... Shhh... It's ok. It's alright. I'm here. Just let go."
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1722

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy on Fri 09 Oct 2015, 20:37

@SeoY wrote:
@Anarchy wrote:
[...]

Not since December 2014. Perhaps you stopped following development updates?

Implying I ever followed them...

Anarchy
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Need For Speed series

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topken on Sat 10 Oct 2015, 01:32

@Anarchy wrote:
@darkgoddessnight wrote:Topken,

Hope that helps!
DGN

TLlDR: The Sims 4 is weak but easy to use, The Sims 3 is complex but not as easy to use.

Technically speaking the only thing The Sims 4 build mode has that The Sims 3 doesn't is the ability to place windows at varying heights. Everything else exists in The Sims 3 in one form or another (if it's not available as a normal feature, it can probably be done through developer commands, like changing wall heights).

I have Supernatural installed along with Dragon Valley. I also have the store items installed from the site here. It might be missing a few things since not all months are covered I do believe. Yeah I find it pretty simple to build int he Sims 4. Not tried to do any building from the ground up on The Sims 3 yet only messed around with a couple of prebuilt houses to get them looking like a proper house and not a random layout. like toilet and sink in a single room and the shower is another completely different room by itself. WHAT THE? So yeah. I doubt I will do any terrain editing and garages are not really my thing either so yeah.  One of my main issues is the lack of content inside The Sims 4 for situations like this. That is why I asked on here if I had enough for something decent or if I should be looking at custom content as well for the Sims 3. I doubt I managed to get all the store updates since I was using the download section from the games4theworlddownloads Sims 3 store section which seems to be screwed up and it seems to be missing a few links as well and I don't know if all the store things are listed or not either. So yeah. I was also asking about the major differences in building between the Sims 4 and the Sims 3 since as I said before I have not built from scratch in the Sims 3 and have no idea on different it is from the Sims 4.

As I said before Anarchy I have heard build who have used both say that there are some thing that are possible in the sims 4 that are not possible in the Sims 3 such as adding a foundation after you built the house and not being able to move a wall over incase you built it in the wrong spot. For examples. And I was asking if there was another other issues that I may run into when I try to build in the Sims 3 from scratch compared to building in the Sims 4 from scratch.Since I am use to building in the Sims 4.

Topken
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darkgoddessnight on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 03:18

Some of the biggest issues I have with building in The Sims 3 are with terrain. You can grab and drag walls like in The Sims 4, but if the terrain isn't perfectly level or can't be leveled due to an object in the way, you have to go about flattening it out. You also can't grab and drag walls if there are cabinets on them, so you have to move the cabinets first.

You cannot move entire rooms in The Sims 3 like you can in the Sims 4, and blueprints are bugged in my experience. So if you decided that you love your kitchen, but want to move it to the other side of the house, you are going to have to do some major remodeling. You are also right about foundations. In The Sims 3, foundations are made to fit the terrain, so if you decided to build a house on a slope, the foundation will conform to it to make the actual house level. In The Sims 4, everything is already flat, so there's no reason for the foundation to do this, thus making it possible to raise or lower the foundation at will.

For this reason, I always have to do some careful planning before building (and I really like to build!). I really like to find house plans online and try to build them, and sometimes, if I'm doing a legacy, I'll attempt to build the house I like first, just to see if its doable. Currently, I'm working on rebuilding Dragon Valley, as in remodeling the premade lots. I just got finished turning Dragon Tavern into a restaurant using the Business as Usual Bistro set, which wouldn't have taken long in The Sims 4, but in The Sims 3, it required a lot of actual remodeling as opposed to moving walls and rooms, etc.

darkgoddessnight
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Witcher 1, 2, & 3, The Sims 3, Skyrim, Baldur's Gate, Torment, Dragon Age, Munchkin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topken on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 03:35

@darkgoddessnight wrote:Some of the biggest issues I have with building in The Sims 3 are with terrain. You can grab and drag walls like in The Sims 4, but if the terrain isn't perfectly level or can't be leveled due to an object in the way, you have to go about flattening it out. You also can't grab and drag walls if there are cabinets on them, so you have to move the cabinets first.

You cannot move entire rooms in The Sims 3 like you can in the Sims 4, and blueprints are bugged in my experience. So if you decided that you love your kitchen, but want to move it to the other side of the house, you are going to have to do some major remodeling. You are also right about foundations. In The Sims 3, foundations are made to fit the terrain, so if you decided to build a house on a slope, the foundation will conform to it to make the actual house level. In The Sims 4, everything is already flat, so there's no reason for the foundation to do this, thus making it possible to raise or lower the foundation at will.

For this reason, I always have to do some careful planning before building (and I really like to build!). I really like to find house plans online and try to build them, and sometimes, if I'm doing a legacy, I'll attempt to build the house I like first, just to see if its doable. Currently, I'm working on rebuilding Dragon Valley, as in remodeling the premade lots. I just got finished turning Dragon Tavern into a restaurant using the Business as Usual Bistro set, which wouldn't have taken long in The Sims 4, but in The Sims 3, it required a lot of actual remodeling as opposed to moving walls and rooms, etc.
Thanks for the info and as I said I am use to building from scratch in The Sims 4 which is very easy to do. Like I said I probably won't be doing any terrain editing unless the lot itself is just to uneven to really work for me. Arte angular walls possible in The Sims 3? I ask for the wizard tower and maybe part of the witches house as well.

Topken
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darkgoddessnight on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 17:25

Yes! You can build angular walls in The Sims 3. It took me a while to figure out proportions though. One diagonal wall is equal to one and a half regular walls, so in order to make a tower perfectly symmetrical you need to build three regular walls for every two angular walls.

darkgoddessnight
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Topken on Sun 11 Oct 2015, 23:20

@darkgoddessnight wrote:Yes! You can build angular walls in The Sims 3. It took me a while to figure out proportions though. One diagonal wall is equal to one and a half regular walls, so in order to make a tower perfectly symmetrical you need to build three regular walls for every two angular walls.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Now I just need to sit down and get it planned out a bit and see what content I do have and where I can put things.

Topken
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum