Sim 3 Help -Won't load

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sim 3 Help -Won't load

Post by Whirlwind421 on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:56

I downloaded the game and added most of the expansion packs and stuff packs. I followed the instructions and also added the ultimate fix as I see that you are supposed to before posting.

So, my problem is that when I start up the game, it is black for a minute or so and then it finally loads and then it loads fairly quickly to the main menu. But, if I try to start a new game it will not load. It will get an inch away from loading but then it just stays there forever and I have to use taskmaster to shut it off. It doesn't actually freeze it just never loads.

I have do stuff like change the options so I know that the expansions did work.

I did download Into the Future. I heard it was giving so problems in another post. So, I thought I would mention that.

I use Windows 8.1.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am very excited to play this game. Smile

I think I figured out what exactly is wrong. I just don't know how to fix it. My disk space on task manager goes too high when the game is first loading and then when I am trying to open a new game.

Help?

Whirlwind421
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sim 3 Help -Won't load

Post by Sim Architect on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 04:40

Hi! Which version of base game and expansions are you using, did you download them individually or did you get our latest and improved Complete Collection (links and instructions in my video below)?

I remember that some expansions had corrupted files, and that may be your issue, so using the Complete Collection would fix the game in those cases. Also, my video has, in its description, links to several individual small updates to the base game and also a few expansions, that aren't updated if you just follow the regular instructions and use the ultimate fix only.

If you have the time, please take a look at my video (and its links) and let's know if you got your way around it. Also, please remember to update your drivers, specially the video card ones (directly from NVidia or ATI sites, not the ones windows downloads automatically). Also, see if you need windows updates (look for updates at your control panel and try to search manually for updates).

Keep us posted and happy simming!

Tea 5 Tea 5

The Sims 3 Complete Collection: https://youtu.be/oTx-Swi2YV0

The Sim Architect

It was nice being here. I will be away for a while...

Sim Architect
Entertainer
I'll make you smile
Entertainer I'll make you smile

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male Posts : 1851

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whirlwind421 on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 05:31

I downloaded the Complete Collection from Pirate Bay. There were a couple 'older expansions' in there that said they were out of date. 

I did manage to load it last night and play a bit. But, it was very slow and it froze when I tried to save and quit. So, I think the game itself is working I think my drivers are poor. Or maybe my RAM. I have 4 GB of RAM. And my video card is ATI. I hear it is not very good. Will Sims 3 play properly with that video card?

I will do the other suggestions that you said. 

Thanks so much for responding.

Whirlwind421
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 05:46

You're welcome!

Well, if it will perform well or not, it depends on your video card.

About saving speed, please try to use "Save As..." instead of regular save, it really helps you keeping more backup levels of your game and also avoids many issues (and is faster sometimes).

Also, there's a NRaas mod (controller something) that will allow you to fix some stuff, like routing problems or sims stuck that are using too many resources etc.

4 GB of RAM are ok for Sims 3 if you are not running "anything else".

Here's my "Save As..." Video tutorial, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0Meax3qP4

Tea 5 Tea 5

The Sim Architect

Sim Architect
Entertainer
I'll make you smile

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whirlwind421 on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 09:01

My bad...I realized that my video driver is Intel. And that is what I meant when I heard it wasn't so good for playing Sims? Do you know if it is a good driver specifically for this game? I can't find the answer to this specific question on google.

Whirlwind421
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 18:30

It is ok. You can play with on board graphics, but performance will usually be poor. I am having trouble now with Sims 3 (with all the stuff), low settings, 1280 x 800 windowed, and I have an NVidia GT 240 (but only 2 GB of system RAM and 512 GB of dedicated video memory, that should be fine, but it is not feeling fine), so I guess that you would have problems without a dedicated graphics card as well.

4 GB should be OK to run the game, though (I am anxiously waiting for a 4GB DDR2 stick I ordered on eBay, maybe next month I get it, yay!).

There's no special driver for this game, you just use the latest possible. In your case, you can just do a Windows Update and grab whatever comes automatically, and pray for the best (but performance tends to be poor, sorry).

The advice on using "Save As..." is still valid, though, so you have a lower risk of losing data (you can always delete old saves manually later) and making your game more stable and faster.

Please, keep us posted on your advances, it's always nice to have information on Sims for low(er) end computers, as many people can't afford good machines and there's always someone around asking for advice on it Wink

Tea 5 Tea 5

The Sim Architect

Sim Architect
Entertainer
I'll make you smile

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whirlwind421 on Thu 12 Nov 2015, 06:35

Will do...I am going to try some of your suggestions. Because I was thinking about bringing it into the shop to get it upgraded and video card and the RAM maybe. But, I think it might be too much for my budget.

But, would you say it is my video card, RAM or both?

Whirlwind421
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Thu 12 Nov 2015, 07:23

Hi again! I would need to know other stuff about your computer to tell you if it's worth putting money on it or saving and getting a new machine.

For what you said so far, a video card would be the thing that your machine seems to be lacking more (if we are just comparing it against the amount of RAM you got only).

So, if you plan on keeping it, a video card would be essential for all gaming and multimedia in general.

Something like NVidia GTX 660 or better, meaning it should end with 60, 70, 80 or 90 and start with 600, 700 and so on, smaller numbers are usually not so good. I don't know about the ATI line, some people say they can give you better processing power on the dollar, but then you'd need someone who knows their products better, sorry. 1 GB of video discrete memory is essential as well, my machine is really struggling with 512 MB of video (GT 240) and 2 GB of RAM. Since it's a temporary computer (loaned to me), I am only upgrading the RAM, because 2 GB is way too little for anything nowadays, even playing 720p video on BS Player can be tricky and I have to restart some TV shows because they sometimes freeze while I am just watching them, to give you an idea.

I actually tried to run The Sims 3 yesterday and today on this computer I am using, and I couldn't even finish changing the resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 800, then I gave up because I had other things to do, I might change the options file inside my documents instead of using the game's interface Facepalm

I wish you good luck! Keep us posted and have a great time playing!

Tea 5 Tea 5

The Sim Architect

Sim Architect
Entertainer
I'll make you smile

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whirlwind421 on Thu 12 Nov 2015, 08:46

Ah...I think I identified another problem then. I have 128 MB of Dedicated video memory.

Whirlwind421
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum