Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by nyxielynn on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 23:35

I have had the base game plus fix installed on my laptop for a few weeks now and it's been working perfectly.  However, a couple days ago I got the "can't start without origin" error.  

I also installed the base game + fix on my sister's laptop night before last and she is getting the same error.

I moved my Sims 4 folder from Program Files(x86) back to Electronic Arts, would't load.  Moved it back to Program Files (x86) and now it works fine on mine again.

Tried the same thing on my sisters and it's still not working.  Any ideas? I know I installed it properly as I followed all steps and did the exact same thing I did when I installed it on mine a few weeks ago.
avatar
nyxielynn
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 4
Female Posts : 8
Points : 779
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-14
Age : 24
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 19 Nov 2015, 23:53

@nyxielynn wrote:I have had the base game plus fix installed on my laptop for a few weeks now and it's been working perfectly.  However, a couple days ago I got the "can't start without origin" error.  

I also installed the base game + fix on my sister's laptop night before last and she is getting the same error.

I moved my Sims 4 folder from Program Files(x86) back to Electronic Arts, would't load.  Moved it back to Program Files (x86) and now it works fine on mine again.

Tried the same thing on my sisters and it's still not working.  Any ideas? I know I installed it properly as I followed all steps and did the exact same thing I did when I installed it on mine a few weeks ago.


Yes, the install folder shouldn't be under "Electronic Arts". Smile 


If it still doesn't work on your sister's laptop, then it's most likely caused by "security" software. Note that Windows 10 is in so far notorious, as the included Windows Defender cannot be turned off directly, unlike in earlier Windows versions. But from here I can't really tell what could be the exact cause.

Feel free to watch Sim Architect's YouTube video guide here. Or alternatively, read up on my (more comprehensive) guide here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t18501-unable-to-start-initialization-error-at-startup-updated-on-11-9-2015

Once you managed to turn off Windows Defender & configured exclusions (properly), please re-apply the latest Ultimate fix, overwriting the old files when prompted. Also check your sister's laptop for any other smaller and less visible security software. One notorious example is Lavasoft's "Web Companion", that is known to cause the issue too. But I can't enumerate all existing programs on here now. Smile  If you find such a program though, please uninstall it.


Good luck though, and take your time; it probably won't be easy to do.

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19696
Reputation : 2095
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by nyxielynn on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 00:15

Yes, it seems her security software may be the issue...  She has Webroot on her laptop as well as Windows 8.  I can not seem to figure out how to configure Webroot to add the exceptions mentioned in The Fix. WhatDidUJustCallMe?
avatar
nyxielynn
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 4
Female Posts : 8
Points : 779
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-14
Age : 24
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 00:26

@nyxielynn wrote:Yes, it seems her security software may be the issue...  She has Webroot on her laptop as well as Windows 8.  I can not seem to figure out how to configure Webroot to add the exceptions mentioned in The Fix. WhatDidUJustCallMe?


The good thing is that in Windows 8, the "Windows Defender" can (still) be turned off directly. Look in the options for a tab named "Administrator" or something like that. Then unmark the box that says "use this app/Windows Defender". If I recall correctly, handling the Windows Defender in Windows 8 is the same as the Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7 (see the long guide that I linked to in my previous reply).

As for Webroot, if you can't figure out how to configure exclusions, it's always a warning sign that this is a program that doesn't allow you/your sister control of anything. Get rid of it (i.e. un-install it), then re-boot the computer.

Re-apply the Ultimate fix and see if that does the trick already. Smile

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19696
Reputation : 2095
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by nyxielynn on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 03:43

Carlos wrote:
@nyxielynn wrote:Yes, it seems her security software may be the issue...  She has Webroot on her laptop as well as Windows 8.  I can not seem to figure out how to configure Webroot to add the exceptions mentioned in The Fix. WhatDidUJustCallMe?


The good thing is that in Windows 8, the "Windows Defender" can (still) be turned off directly. Look in the options for a tab named "Administrator" or something like that. Then unmark the box that says "use this app/Windows Defender". If I recall correctly, handling the Windows Defender in Windows 8 is the same as the Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7 (see the long guide that I linked to in my previous reply).

As for Webroot, if you can't figure out how to configure exclusions, it's always a warning sign that this is a program that doesn't allow you/your sister control of anything. Get rid of it (i.e. un-install it), then re-boot the computer.

Re-apply the Ultimate fix and see if that does the trick already. Smile
So it appears that her windows defender is already turned off.  Webroot will allow exceptions, but only files, not full folders.
avatar
nyxielynn
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 4
Female Posts : 8
Points : 779
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-14
Age : 24
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by nyxielynn on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 04:32

Ugh, I give up.  I completely removed Webroot, restarted the computer. Made sure Windows Defender was STILL off. Reinstalled the fix, restarted the computer. Tried again and it's still saying Origin must be running. So it's not her antivirus either.  I don't get it, I've done everything to the T with the instructions and I know I did it right because it's working just fine on my laptop.  What else can it be?
avatar
nyxielynn
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 4
Female Posts : 8
Points : 779
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-14
Age : 24
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 05:13

@nyxielynn wrote:Ugh, I give up.  I completely removed Webroot, restarted the computer. Made sure Windows Defender was STILL off. Reinstalled the fix, restarted the computer. Tried again and it's still saying Origin must be running. So it's not her antivirus either.  I don't get it, I've done everything to the T with the instructions and I know I did it right because it's working just fine on my laptop.  What else can it be?


If you are sure that no security software is interfering, see again the guide I linked to in your other thread.
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t21656-transferring-sims-4-to-another-computer


At first you should delete the install folder "The Sims 4", from your sister's laptop. Then see the guide about transferring YOUR install folder of Sims 4, to the other computer. I can't tell how big the total folder is (I'm not on my main desktop machine right now), but it's between 10-14GB I think. That includes the base game + Get to Work + the latest Ultimate fix.

You don't need to backup the registry though in this case, just copy + paste your install folder of Sims 4, and transfer it over to your sister's laptop; and you may need an external hard-drive for the transfer.

And make sure that you put that install folder directly under Program files(x86), and not under "Electronic Arts". Good luck again !

_________________



G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4



Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!



avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830
Points : 19696
Reputation : 2095
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by nyxielynn on Fri 20 Nov 2015, 06:23

Carlos wrote:
@nyxielynn wrote:Ugh, I give up.  I completely removed Webroot, restarted the computer. Made sure Windows Defender was STILL off. Reinstalled the fix, restarted the computer. Tried again and it's still saying Origin must be running. So it's not her antivirus either.  I don't get it, I've done everything to the T with the instructions and I know I did it right because it's working just fine on my laptop.  What else can it be?


If you are sure that no security software is interfering, see again the guide I linked to in your other thread.
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t21656-transferring-sims-4-to-another-computer


At first you should delete the install folder "The Sims 4", from your sister's laptop. Then see the guide about transferring YOUR install folder of Sims 4, to the other computer. I can't tell how big the total folder is (I'm not on my main desktop machine right now), but it's between 10-14GB I think. That includes the base game + Get to Work + the latest Ultimate fix.

You don't need to backup the registry though in this case, just copy + paste your install folder of Sims 4, and transfer it over to your sister's laptop; and you may need an external hard-drive for the transfer.

And make sure that you put that install folder directly under Program files(x86), and not under "Electronic Arts". Good luck again !


Thank you.  I will try this.  Fingers crossed.
avatar
nyxielynn
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 4
Female Posts : 8
Points : 779
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-14
Age : 24
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't open game, Origin Error WITH Fix installed

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum