Can the game installed on a SD Card?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by Fangirll on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 05:30

hello. I have a question about the location The Sims 4 can be installed on. I dont have enough space on my laptop and i wanted to put the game on my sd card. however, when i put that in as a location. (ex. D:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4) but it stills says i dont have enough space on my hard drive, not even knowing that i put in my sd card as a location. what should i do? should attempt to clear space on my hard drive to download the game or do i have to give up? WhatDidUJustCallMe?  help please. Thank you beforehand.

Fangirll
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3
Female Posts : 3
Points : 516
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-12-31
Age : 20
Location : Hell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 05:38

@Fangirll wrote:hello. I have a question about the location The Sims 4 can be installed on. I dont have enough space on my laptop and i wanted to put the game on my sd card. however, when i put that in as a location. (ex. D:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4) but it stills says i dont have enough space on my hard drive, not even knowing that i put in my sd card as a location. what should i do? should attempt to clear space on my hard drive to download the game or do i have to give up? WhatDidUJustCallMe?  help please. Thank you beforehand.


Hello and welcome to the forum,


See this topic first of all:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t19572-how-to-move-the-sims-4-to-another-partition-after-installation-fix


Unfortunately, and due to a "technicality" with the installer that we use, The Sims 4 must be installed on the C: drive first. After which you can move the folder elsewhere. As for the SD card...feel free to give it a go then. But I can't tell with 100% certainty whether or not that is going to work with actual game installations.

Good luck though !
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth & Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 13689
Points : 18100
Reputation : 1906
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

seriously..

Post by Fangirll on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 06:16

just my luck, the alternate method doesn't work for windows 10. sighs. Thanks for your help anyway. maybe i'll just buy the game.. ^~^;

Fangirll
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3
Female Posts : 3
Points : 516
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-12-31
Age : 20
Location : Hell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 06:21

@Fangirll wrote:just my luck, the alternate method doesn't work for windows 10. sighs. Thanks for your help anyway. maybe i'll just buy the game.. ^~^;


You mean installing at first on C: and then moving the folder doesn't work ? Normally, that should work fine on any Windows system; I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work out for you. Have you tried freeing up enough space on C: ? Make sure to have more space than just the 8+ GB that are necessary for the TS4 base game.

In any way, I would wait with buying the base game. It's really unnecessary. 
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth & Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 13689
Points : 18100
Reputation : 1906
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by Fangirll on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 07:46

Carlos wrote:
@Fangirll wrote:just my luck, the alternate method doesn't work for windows 10. sighs. Thanks for your help anyway. maybe i'll just buy the game.. ^~^;


You mean installing at first on C: and then moving the folder doesn't work ? Normally, that should work fine on any Windows system; I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work out for you. Have you tried freeing up enough space on C: ? Make sure to have more space than just the 8+ GB that are necessary for the TS4 base game.

In any way, I would wait with buying the base game. It's really unnecessarhsh
hah, yeah I'm not gonna buy it. I'll try making space. Thanks.

Fangirll
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3
Female Posts : 3
Points : 516
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-12-31
Age : 20
Location : Hell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by magic touch on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 13:00

you can install the sims4 anywhere you want, (D:, E:, external HD or SD)
in case of external HD or SD, be sure the install path letter no change!  

keep in mind a main part of the install will be in system part on c:/users/your_user_name/docu,,,,

the C:/users/,, is need to keep stores about configurations setting and saved games files

if you know about registry, 
the install path is found in registry, in case you want to change  your external HD/SD letter path  
  

good luck

magic touch
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Posts : 51
Points : 2048
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 13:26

@magic touch wrote:you can install the sims4 anywhere you want, (D:, E:, external HD or SD)
in case of external HD or SD, be sure the install path letter no change!  

keep in mind a main part of the install will be in system part on c:/users/your_user_name/docu,,,,

the C:/users/,, is need to keep stores about configurations setting and saved games files

if you know about registry, 
the install path is found in registry, in case you want to change  your external HD/SD letter path  
  

good luck


I'm curious about the actual in-game performance though, when that game is installed on an SD card (and that's actually the only reason I voiced my previous doubts). Yes, you "can" install stuff on almost anything that has a sufficient number of free GBs. But it is also known that the data transmission speeds are not always the same.

For example, a game that is installed on an external drive that is connected via USB may be slower in performance than a drive that is connected via a SATA-controller (typically referred to as an "internal drive"). Also, a HDD drive is a bit slower than an SSD drive. I guess for a game like Sims 4 it doesn't really matter that much, but you may run into possible issues with higher-end games. You get the idea. Smile


P.S. you don't need to match the registry entry or our TS4 release, with the actual installation path. Once the (base) game is installed, you can even move the install folder onto your desktop without changing the registry entries.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth & Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 13689
Points : 18100
Reputation : 1906
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by magic touch on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 13:14

all depend of the type use by an application

in this case (for the Sims game) the data need only for storage, it's not like an application who need realtime read/write data

when you start the game, all data read are moved in real memory and virtual memory, the game does not read anymore the storage place (SSD or External HD) only the start game is affected by the transfer speed of data

also about some SSD memory,
some SSD are very fast read/write and compared to internal Sata HD the difference is some miliseconds!

if i am using a music or paint program (like Cubase or photoshop) where data are re read several time by minutes/second, i do not use any SSd , 
but in application games like Sims the SSD storage is welcome against the place reserved on system disk

magic touch
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Posts : 51
Points : 2048
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can the game installed on a SD Card?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 14:36

@magic touch wrote:all depend of the type use by an application

in this case (for the Sims game) the data need only for storage, it's not like an application who need realtime read/write data

when you start the game, all data read are moved in real memory and virtual memory, the game does not read anymore the storage place (SSD or External HD) only the start game is affected by the transfer speed of data

also about some SSD memory,
some SSD are very fast read/write and compared to internal Sata HD the difference is some miliseconds!

if i am using a music or paint program (like Cubase or photoshop) where data are re read several time by minutes/second, i do not use any SSd , 
but in application games like Sims the SSD storage is welcome against the place reserved on system disk


Very cool.  Carlos is tha man  I did not know about this technical aspect of The Sims (4). But as a personal remark, I myself probably couldn't use an SSD "properly", due to me having a habit of shuffling around data very often. All of which creates (unnecessary) read/write-processing for the drive. The "good old" standard HDDs are still good enough for me.


Very Happy
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth & Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 13689
Points : 18100
Reputation : 1906
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : The Situation Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum