Origin error, hit a brick wall

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by zilla on Sat 09 Jan 2016, 08:10

I have reached a dead end in my quest for installing the Get Together expansion of The Sims 4. I run Windows Vista; if you need additional info, I will provide it. I followed the directions as carefully as I could. So far I have tried:

1. Ensuring that I am only using WinRAR (it's the only extraction program I use anyway).
2. Making sure that the prescribed folders are in the exceptions list of my antivirus program.
3. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled it (I've done this several times, each time deleting the extracted files and re-extracting them).
4. I created a folder just for the extraction process of the files and added the folder to the antivirus exceptions list.
5. Replaced the origin files with the ones in a separate download as suggested in one of the posts on this forum.
6. I have set my firewalls to allow The Sims 4.
7. I have definitely moved The Sims 4 folder from the EA folder to the program files (x86) folder.
8. I re-created all my desktop shortcuts each time I re-installed.

As I said, I tried to follow all the directions carefully, including making sure the folder is moved, making sure the firewalls and antivirus are set up correctly, making sure that I install all the vcredist programs from the vc folder, etc. I've even just outright turned off my antivirus software. Windows Defender does not turn on automatically when I turn off my software (I run MS Security Essentials).

I do not know what else to do short of re-installing Windows, but of course that's a major project due to ensuring all my data is backed up. Is it possible that my registry is just somehow messed up? I've been on this  forum looking for anybody who at least has the same problem as me, but everybody seems to be fine after messing around with their antivirus.

zilla
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 4
Points : 598
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 00:21

@zilla wrote:I have reached a dead end in my quest for installing the Get Together expansion of The Sims 4. I run Windows Vista; if you need additional info, I will provide it. I followed the directions as carefully as I could. So far I have tried:

1. Ensuring that I am only using WinRAR (it's the only extraction program I use anyway).
2. Making sure that the prescribed folders are in the exceptions list of my antivirus program.
3. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled it (I've done this several times, each time deleting the extracted files and re-extracting them).
4. I created a folder just for the extraction process of the files and added the folder to the antivirus exceptions list.
5. Replaced the origin files with the ones in a separate download as suggested in one of the posts on this forum.
6. I have set my firewalls to allow The Sims 4.
7. I have definitely moved The Sims 4 folder from the EA folder to the program files (x86) folder.
8. I re-created all my desktop shortcuts each time I re-installed.

As I said, I tried to follow all the directions carefully, including making sure the folder is moved, making sure the firewalls and antivirus are set up correctly, making sure that I install all the vcredist programs from the vc folder, etc. I've even just outright turned off my antivirus software. Windows Defender does not turn on automatically when I turn off my software (I run MS Security Essentials).

I do not know what else to do short of re-installing Windows, but of course that's a major project due to ensuring all my data is backed up. Is it possible that my registry is just somehow messed up? I've been on this  forum looking for anybody who at least has the same problem as me, but everybody seems to be fine after messing around with their antivirus.


Hello and welcome to the forum @zilla,


Sorry to hear that nothing is working for you thus far (you obviously followed a number of threads on here, already). Back then, I indeed suggested to people that they consider a fresh Windows re-install, if nothing works, but you should wait with that.

So are BOTH Windows Defender and MS Security Essentials turned off for you ? Please try turning off both these programs, and then re-apply the files from "Get together". 

The registry does not have any influence on this, in my experience.

Also, check out the alternative solutions here if you haven't done so yet:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t19191-unable-to-start-origin-is-currently-not-running-alternative-solutions


Good luck for now, and keep us posted if you like. Smile
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14090
Points : 18695
Reputation : 1988
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by zilla on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 04:57

I double checked my Windows Defender after I turned off MS Essentials, and Windows Defender is permanently off (I double checked to just make sure it didn't turn on after MS Essentials was turned off). I am also familiar with the thread you posted and was hopeful, but had no luck still.

I read a post on reddit regarding this issue, and it was suggested to move the EA save folder that's in Documents which seemed to fix the Origin issue for some, but not all. I thought I would mention it to see if anybody else found it useful. I did not and tried it only because I didn't have anything to lose in that folder (so my advice is if you try it, back it up because I believe other EA games save there as well).

Anyway, for now I will abandon Get Together until the problem is identified and will keep on Simming. As another side note, it might be interesting to poll those who managed to get it working and maybe even a poll from those who have done everything that can currently be done and have not got it working to see the difference in setup (versions installed, antivirus practices, operating system, etc.). Maybe that will identify the problem somehow.

Thanks for all your help, though! I'll update if I figure it out or come across anything...


Last edited by zilla on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 05:03; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : poor grammar and unclear message)

zilla
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 4
Points : 598
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by kiszcat on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 23:55

I am having the same problem although I cant even get the base game to work, I thought maybe putting the other two might solve it but no go. Still Origin error.

I have done pretty much everything posted and advised multiple times. Even installed Origin but I don't know if I had to do that. (didn't work anyway)

Totally at a loss.

kiszcat
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Old Skool Platform and Sims.
Female Posts : 8
Points : 601
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-01-10
Age : 37
Location : Polo Mint City

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by MizzEllie on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 01:37

Same problem here. I've gone through every step carefully and followed all instructions, yet I still get this error. Cannot even run base game.

MizzEllie
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 2
Points : 581
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by KingEdwardKenway on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 04:50

@MizzEllie wrote:Same problem here. I've gone through every step carefully and followed all instructions, yet I still get this error. Cannot even run base game.
I believe you need to either delete "GameVersion.txt" found at Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 
OR
Delete the "Default.ini" file found at your game directory being either C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Game\Bin or at C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

KingEdwardKenway
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 16
Points : 607
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 22:14

@zilla wrote:I double checked my Windows Defender after I turned off MS Essentials, and Windows Defender is permanently off (I double checked to just make sure it didn't turn on after MS Essentials was turned off). I am also familiar with the thread you posted and was hopeful, but had no luck still.

I read a post on reddit regarding this issue, and it was suggested to move the EA save folder that's in Documents which seemed to fix the Origin issue for some, but not all. I thought I would mention it to see if anybody else found it useful. I did not and tried it only because I didn't have anything to lose in that folder (so my advice is if you try it, back it up because I believe other EA games save there as well).

Anyway, for now I will abandon Get Together until the problem is identified and will keep on Simming. As another side note, it might be interesting to poll those who managed to get it working and maybe even a poll from those who have done everything that can currently be done and have not got it working to see the difference in setup (versions installed, antivirus practices, operating system, etc.). Maybe that will identify the problem somehow.

Thanks for all your help, though! I'll update if I figure it out or come across anything...

Sorry for the late reply @zilla,


Removing the save files or the whole EA folder from Documents is known to fix an error with a different (but similar-sounding name). But not the "Origin must be running", in my experience.

And thanks for the suggestion about the poll We will take it into account. Smile  But as for the practicality or possible success of such an idea, from my experience I've seen cases of people where they said "they had no security software", and when I looked with TeamViewer it turned out they actually had anti-virus software or these small programs like Lavasoft's Web Companion, which can disrupt the No-Origin files of TS4. 

Sounds crazy, but have you tried moving your installation folder of The Sims 4, directly under the desktop, and running the game from there ?
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14090
Points : 18695
Reputation : 1988
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by zilla on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 20:41

I have not tried that, but it's worth a shot.

It's been driving me crazy. I know little about programming, but it seems that there has to be something simple we're missing. Why would the game work perfectly with Get To Work installed, but then when Get Together is installed, this error pops up? It makes me wonder, what has changed (or not changed for that matter)?

What I mean is, there was a factor that allowed it to work before, and somehow that factor has not carried over to Get Together or was not changed so that it is applicable to Get Together. Is it possible that there is a simple tweak that was missed or overlooked in making the crack?

Where might I begin research into this?

zilla
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 4
Points : 598
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Origin error, hit a brick wall

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 02:43

@zilla wrote:Where might I begin research into this?


You would need to ask the people @EA who wrote this software, but they (of course) won't give details on such things. People have speculated that EA or Microsoft are putting some sort of spyware on user-computers that prevents cracked games from running, but my opinion is that if it were the case, then we would see much more of these "unsolved" issues. But it appears that a lot of people can fix it by "fixing" their anti-virus settings.

As for the rest, I don't know. I myself never had the issue. 

If you really insist on playing a pirated Sims 4 game (which is reasonable, since the legit version + DLC are extremely expensive), then you will need to consider more 'radical' solutions here. Independent of what people think about the pirated version of Sims 4, it is clear that EA have learned a lot from The Sims 3 (which could be pirated very easily), and now they have made sure that The Sims 4 is nearly un-crackable.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14090
Points : 18695
Reputation : 1988
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum