Does your new Sims 2 Ultimate Collection download include SecuROM?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does your new Sims 2 Ultimate Collection download include SecuROM?

Post by Zou_Zou on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 04:43

Hi Carlos,

I love the Sims 2 and initially downloaded it from Origin back in July. However, I never installed it after finding out it came with SecuROM.

My question is: Does your new Sims 2 Ultimate Collection download include SecuROM? Or, did you find a way to get rid of it?

As much as I love the Sims 2, I don't want any nasty DRM on my computer.

Thanks for all your hard work,

Zou_Zou

Zou_Zou
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does your new Sims 2 Ultimate Collection download include SecuROM?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 06:45

Zou_Zou wrote:Hi Carlos,

I love the Sims 2 and initially downloaded it from Origin back in July. However, I never installed it after finding out it came with SecuROM.

My question is: Does your new Sims 2 Ultimate Collection download include SecuROM? Or, did you find a way to get rid of it?

As much as I love the Sims 2, I don't want any nasty DRM on my computer.

Thanks for all your hard work,

Zou_Zou

Hello and welcome to the forum @Zou_Zou,

I split your post from the other topic. Smile  That's a good question, and I'll tell you the following. Nearly all disc-based games during that era (mid-2000s) had some sort of "protection", like SecuROM. Possible disadvantages were conflicts with disc emulation software (Daemon tools, PowerISO, etc.), issues with recognizing legit optical discs, and other stuff.

First off, the No-CD-file that is included in the Complete Collection of The Sims 2, takes care of the game's "protection", allowing you to play it just fine, and install it on as many computers as you wish.

If you're really paranoid, you can google for "removal tools" for SecuROM, but note that in some cases, you may run into problems. E.g. this post here is based on me trying to mess with removing that SecuROM. So normally, the No-CD-files that are available for these games should already help you bypass any protection.

As for the rest, I am still able to run PowerISO. The game works fine on Windows 7, 8 and even 10. And I did not notice any other issues with it. The only (minor) issue is described here, which I suspect is due to SecuROM, but I can't tell for sure. Either way, this installation problem can be solved quite easily. 

Before you ask, I cannot tell with 100% certainty whether you may run into problems with some of these older disc-based games, which may have SecuROM. But if you really use (legit) discs, and you run into problems, google for No-CD-files for these games and apply them. They should allow you to play those games again.

Does that answer your question ? Smile  If not, feel free to elaborate on what your specific concerns are in that case, but I think the above explanations should cover most scenarios.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum