Launcher cannot install sims3packs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by SandyAmandie on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 04:52

Ive recently bought a new computer and had to reinstall my legit copy of the base game through Origin, and have several expansion packs installed, all downloaded from Games4theworld, that have been installed without a crack and have been working fine. my only issue is that since reinstalling the launcher simply cannot install simspacks. Ive tried putting the actual files in the Documents>>Downloads folder and opening them one at a time to install through the launcher as I have done in the past, as well as opening the launcher itself and then installing the packs through the launcher. Both result in Origin and the Sims launcher opening, and the install box opens in the task bar but is merely a black window box that never loads. I could leave it for an hour and nothing will happen, it doesn't even crash or give me a windows alert saying the program has stopped working. I never had a problem in the past when installing packs this way and although I have grown to understand a little bit about the myriad of issues that can cause this game to go awry, I do not know enough to guess as to what could be causing this problem. I do already have a small amount of custom content installed, which was done by copying my entire Documents>EA>TheSims3 folder from my old harddrive to my new one immediately after installing the base game. The CC loads in-game perfectly and has not caused problems since installing the game, which was a few months ago. All the custom content is objects and clothes, no mods, sliders, worlds or anything like that.. anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? let me know I will try what I can

EDIT: Ive just moved the files in Documents>>>DCCache to a temporary folder before installing packs and they work, so once I put back what was in the folder before, I suppose my question becomes how can I scan through the installed content to find what is corrupted and causing the issue? The only files in the Documents>>>Downloads folder are the ones I am trying to install for the first time now. any help is appreciated

SandyAmandie
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 3
Points : 568
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by Aɾყα on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 08:05

Hello,


Welcome to the forum!
You can use this to find conflicts/problems with CC. Alternatively, you can use either one of these to install custom content as well.

_________________




"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"

avatar
Aɾყα
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15105
Points : 20011
Reputation : 1430
Join date : 2011-05-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by SandyAmandie on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 04:28

it seems like the program from modthesims is for .package files only? my issue is with .sims3packs . I reeally would prefer not to forfeit total control of all cc files to a third party program like ccmagic outside of the launcher WhatDidUJustCallMe?

when it comes to the files inside the DCCache folder within Documents>EA>ThSims3, how exactly should I go about preserving them? if I move all files to a temporary location, install a batch of sims3packs, and then keep the new files that generate within the DCCache folder and add the previously contained files without replacing any same-name files will that successfully keep all the previous and new installations? Ive read on posts about similar issues that the missingdeps.idx files regenerates when you open the game so should I delete or leave that one out before running the game?

SandyAmandie
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 3
Points : 568
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 05:53

@SandyAmandie wrote:I reeally would prefer not to forfeit total control of all cc files to a third party program like ccmagic outside of the launcher WhatDidUJustCallMe?

when it comes to the files inside the DCCache folder within Documents>EA>ThSims3, how exactly should I go about preserving them? if I move all files to a temporary location, install a batch of sims3packs, and then keep the new files that generate within the DCCache folder and add the previously contained files without replacing any same-name files will that successfully keep all the previous and new installations? Ive read on posts about similar issues that the missingdeps.idx files regenerates when you open the game so should I delete or leave that one out before running the game?


Welcome @SandyAmandie !


While I can understand your reluctance and concerns toward CC Magic and similar third-party tools, let me also tell you that the launcher system of The Sims 3 is totally broken. If I recall correctly, it started with the release of the "Seasons"-expansion, when things got worse and worse.

Thanks to third-party mods and app creators, at least some of these problems have been mitigated. Former mod creators like Twallan (a.k.a. NRAAS), the CC Magic creator and many others have put a lot of work into their creations. My own experiences with CC Magic were only positive, although nowadays I'm not using .sims3pack files anymore (more on that will follow in a minute).

A good guide on using CC Magic can be found here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t15843-how-to-use-cc-magic


I don't know how it is going to work out if you move out items from DCCache only to add them later on again, but feel free to try it on your own. And you can indeed delete the missingdeps.idx file too, but I'm not sure if it is related to your specific issue.

As I hinted above, I myself am not using .sims3packs anymore. As for the official store content, I am only using .package files these days. And I don't use that many (fan-made) custom content items either, because I want to avoid using the launcher as much as possible.

I guess at this point there isn't much else to say for me. Good luck anyways, whatever you decide to do. Smile
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14068
Points : 18665
Reputation : 1982
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by Aɾყα on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 07:55

You don't have to use a third party program if you don't want to. I don't use sims3packs either. I used s3pe to unpack all those sims3packs,  and they're placed in mods\packages.

_________________




"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"

avatar
Aɾყα
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15105
Points : 20011
Reputation : 1430
Join date : 2011-05-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 01:28

Edin ElDi wrote:You don't have to use a third party program if you don't want to. I don't use sims3packs either. I used s3pe to unpack all those sims3packs,  and they're placed in mods\packages.


I indeed forgot about that possibility too.  Facepalm

The only disadvantage to that method is that after you "extract" the .package files from the .sims3pack, you need to name the .package file accordingly, because by default, the .package will be named as a string of letters and numbers. So for better organization, it's best to immediately change the filenames of these .package files into something that is more recognizable. Very Happy
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14068
Points : 18665
Reputation : 1982
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by SandyAmandie on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 05:07

Carlos wrote:
Edin ElDi wrote:You don't have to use a third party program if you don't want to. I don't use sims3packs either. I used s3pe to unpack all those sims3packs,  and they're placed in mods\packages.


I indeed forgot about that possibility too.  Facepalm

The only disadvantage to that method is that after you "extract" the .package files from the .sims3pack, you need to name the .package file accordingly, because by default, the .package will be named as a string of letters and numbers. So for better organization, it's best to immediately change the filenames of these .package files into something that is more recognizable. Very Happy
that is exactllyyy why I came to hate .package files back when I was playing on Sims2 WhatDidUJustCallMe? so I switched more to sims3packs when I upped to playing Sims 3. but you both have some good points and ideas, I think the best option at this point is since I only just started re-setting up the game on this computer, I might as well start converting the sims3packs to .package files and try maintaining them that way. Ive seen some other posts about condensing the .package files so I don't end up having 1,000+ individual files in the Mods>packages folder, is there such a tool to accomplish that? I dont want to end up slowing down game play so much that I spend more time waiting for lag issues to load than I spend playing Sad I had that issue on previous computers with both sims 2&3

SandyAmandie
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 3
Points : 568
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Launcher cannot install sims3packs

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 02:47

@SandyAmandie wrote:that is exactllyyy why I came to hate .package files back when I was playing on Sims2 WhatDidUJustCallMe? so I switched more to sims3packs when I upped to playing Sims 3. but you both have some good points and ideas, I think the best option at this point is since I only just started re-setting up the game on this computer, I might as well start converting the sims3packs to .package files and try maintaining them that way. Ive seen some other posts about condensing the .package files so I don't end up having 1,000+ individual files in the Mods>packages folder, is there such a tool to accomplish that? I dont want to end up slowing down game play so much that I spend more time waiting for lag issues to load than I spend playing Sad I had that issue on previous computers with both sims 2&3

See this post here for merging .package files:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t3840-combining-cc-in-package-format-updated-28-june-13



Note that you should only merge CAS-mode and Buy/Build-mode items. And not (script) mods. But you may already be aware of that. Smile  As far as I'm concerned, I still prefer .packages and in the event that I want to use a lot of them, I also merge them.
avatar
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14068
Points : 18665
Reputation : 1982
Join date : 2012-11-02
Age : 30
Location : San Fierro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum