USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 20 May 2016, 08:52

Like the topic title says.  Facepalm  Razz

I accidentally made a "bad move" and thereby one of my USB-flashdrives fell directly into a cup of tea and was submerged. After removing it from the cup, I made sure to not use it until I was sure it had dried completely, especially inside. The tea wasn't too hot, and maybe that was one reason why the USB-flash is now working again (for now ?).

I probably just got away with that one, but other & more complex electronic devices (smartphones, etc.) are probably more susceptible to this kind of 'accident'. Did something like that ever happen to you ?

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 Expansion install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW, Site navigation & Support, if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum topic!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.
Male Posts : 16059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:02

LOL
Maybe that flashdrive just really needed a cup of tea Razz one can imagine ...

I'm prone to accidents like that and I know it, so I'm extremely careful. 
I may have dropped a cellphone in a toiletbowl once, but gosh that was so long ago, there was no such thing as a smartphone during those days. "Luckily" this happened before any "business" had been taken care of on said toilet, and since it was one of those toilets with a "plateau", the phone wasn't submerged at all and I could keep using it, after a thorough wipe-down of course.

It was my first cellphone and I kept it in my back pocket. I don't do that anymore Laughing

Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15183

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Webmaster on Sat 21 May 2016, 12:10

Fortunately not to myself, because I try to be very careful when it comes to that kind of stuff.
But I had someone come to me once with "Admin plz help, I dropped my iPhone in the toilet and it doesn't work any more".
It was a brand new iPhone 6; I think 2 weeks old at most.

Anyway, the trick is to NOT turn it on. I took the whole phone apart, disconnected the battery, motherboard out, screen out, and then put everything in a bag full of silica gel for a few days. After that I cleaned everything with a 96% alcohol solution, including brushing the motherboard with it. (If you don't, the motherboard might rust and fail after a few weeks anyway)
The phone still works. Razz

Same goes for the USB stick, as long as there's no electricity on it, there should not be a problem. Just let it dry for a while, put it in a closed bag with uncooked rice if you can. (It'll absorb the water)
If you think about it, a motherboard is nothing. Just a board. You can drown it in water, as long as you make sure there's no battery connected to it, because that will shorten it. Just water... just a plastic board...
And of course, make sure that you clear the board of all the water afterwards, to prevent rust. After that the board should theoretically still work fine.

Webmaster
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 19210

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Sun 12 Jun 2016, 18:40

Thats not a mistake, your USB was simply planning to pass into the afterlife in the heavenly pool of tea for glorious uplifting end.

Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series
Female Posts : 392

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Webmaster on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 21:49

@Layloria wrote:Thats not a mistake, your USB was simply planning to pass into the afterlife in the heavenly pool of tea for glorious uplifting end.
Why have you not taken Carlos' place as a Moderator yet did you say?

+1 for your beautiful comment. Yess, aye lieeke!

Webmaster
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by SeoY on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 02:26

Perfect title. If there's ever going to be a topic that screams 'Games4theworld', it's gonna be this one.

Fortunately it has never happened to me. Although I must say, if any electronic is going to die on me for being dropped in liquid, I hope it will be tea.

"Isn't this a wonderful spot for a rest? I so love the sound of the rain upon glass."
SeoY
Minecraft Moderator
MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm
Minecraft Moderator MC Wizard & Keeper of the Realm

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Hollow Knight, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock 1-2, The Sims series, Terraria, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Batman: Arkham series, Ōkami, Metal Gear Solid series, The Binding of Isaac, Silent Hill, Ace Attorney, Civilization V, Portal 2, Minecraft
Male Posts : 1735

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Webmaster on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 09:12

@SeoY wrote:Although I must say, if any electronic is going to die on me for being dropped in liquid, I hope it will be tea.
SeoY back from the dead. Cookie from Carlos

Webmaster
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 16:52

@Layloria wrote:Thats not a mistake, your USB was simply planning to pass into the afterlife in the heavenly pool of tea for glorious uplifting end.

Quite possibly. But I frivolously decided to troll destiny by not following its path. Almost like in this...what was the movie series called ? I think it was Final Destination. I just said "nope, not today". 

And my USB-flash is working fine again.  Carlos is tha man  I tip my fedora.

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 Expansion install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW, Site navigation & Support, if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum topic!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.
Male Posts : 16059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Webmaster on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 13:00

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:And my USB-flash is working fine again.  Carlos is tha man  I tip my fedora.
All hail King Tea!!!11!111!
All hail King Tea! All hail King Tea!

Webmaster
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum