Winrar takes way too long to open the file

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winrar takes way too long to open the file

Post by alekska on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 18:44

Hello everyone.
I'm really sorry if there was a problem like this already but i really couldn't find it.
The problem is with installing expansions. In the installation quide it says that i need to open 'Sims3EP04Setup.exe'. Okay, but when i try to actually open it (with winrar) it ALWAYS takes abnormal amount of time to actually unpack it. For example 4 hours. Is it normal? Or am i doing something wrong? Here's a screenshot:

Sorry, it's in polish. But it basically says that it is unpacking the sims 3 generations and it is going to take ANOTHER 4 HOURS. I'm really sad about that because i dont think that i have enough patience to wait that much... Any help?

EDIT. I tried 7zip to open this and it doesnt take 4 hours luckily but it shows this:

I have no idea what to do Sad

alekska
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winrar takes way too long to open the file

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 19:49

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.
That's extremely long indeed, are you clicking setup from inside winRAR, or extracting the files first? I would try the latter.

☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alekska on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 19:56

Thank you for your reply. I have been clicking setup from inside winRAR. i've tried extracting all the files just now but it doesn't seem any better. It's been 3 minutes and it says that's its going to take more than 30 minutes and it is still growing really fast..

alekska
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 20:56

Extracting Winrar files can take very long. Especially the Build-items in the Sims 4 take a painstaking long time. Reason why - and I will most probably now come under attack from G4TW again, - I prefer to use PowerIso.
No, you can't extract your G4TW downloads with PowerIso, you'll need different downloads.

Why I prefer Poweriso:
1. Downloads are simular in size as in Winrar
2. No slow extractions of sometimes an hour, but mount the download in a couple of seconds to a PowerIso virtual CD-station.
3. Saving of disk-space as with Winrar you have the download + the extracted folder on your PC before you can install the game.
4. In earlier Sims-games, like f.e. Sims 3 you can have a mix of legal and pirated expansions and you can still update via Origin. No cracks required, no fixes.

But already enough said about PowerIso. If you want to know more about it, send me a private-message.
On my Dutch forum we use PowerIso since The Sims 1 !
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games
Male Posts : 2267

View user profile http://www.tarac.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 21 Aug 2016, 13:43

alekska wrote:Thank you for your reply. I have been clicking setup from inside winRAR. i've tried extracting all the files just now but it doesn't seem any better. It's been 3 minutes and it says that's its going to take more than 30 minutes and it is still growing really fast..

Yes, unfortunately extracting with WinRAR can take some time. Especially if your computer is older or weaker in terms of hardware. It can also be hampered (a bit) by a fragmented file system, so defragmenting your hard-drive somewhat regularly can help too.

Sorry to hear it's causing you problems, but on the bright side: you will only need to do this once, namely when installing The Sims 3. At least in my books that still something. Very Happy

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14475

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Sun 21 Aug 2016, 13:55

This is an extreme sample, so either you have a very slow processer or, more likely, you do not have enough free diskspace
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :