Infringement notice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Infringement notice.

Post by tixxyrose on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 16:01

I just received an infringement notice in the mail for downloading The Sims 4 torrent on here. Ugh. Sad

tixxyrose
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Infringement notice.

Post by Tarac on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 16:44

@tixxyrose wrote:I just received an infringement notice in the mail for downloading The Sims 4 torrent on here. Ugh. Sad
Are you sure it's genuine ?
How can they know your mail-adress when you download a torrent ??
Tarac
Quartermaster General
Honorary Team Member
Quartermaster General Honorary Team Member

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games
Male Posts : 2049

View user profile http://www.tarac.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 18:00

@tixxyrose wrote:I just received an infringement notice in the mail for downloading The Sims 4 torrent on here. Ugh. Sad

//SPLIT

Welcome to the forum @tixxyrose and sorry to hear about that, WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Certain internet service providers like sending automated mail like that. Like @Tarac said, have you been able to verify if it's really from your ISP? If it was, then there is this (and I know I may be leaning a bit too far out the window). I very often hear from people - especially in countries like the US or the UK - receiving these automated letters, but I yet have to hear from even one (1) person who went to jail for "merely" downloading stuff.

Nonetheless, try seeking out possibilities in your area of whether it is possible/feasible to switch the ISP. Or for now, try asking a friend or relative to download these things for you. At that point though, there isn't much on our end that we can do about this. 

Also, check out this thread about VPNs here, if you like. Maybe it can help you. 

Good luck, and I'm sorry about this.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 14091

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 22:28

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:(...) but I yet have to hear from even one (1) person who went to jail for "merely" downloading stuff.
Maybe not, but they can (and sometimes will - see France) cancel your internet subscription.

Your best choice would indeed be to use a VPN or use another network to download the stuff.
But choose the network carefully. You usually get banned on school/university/work networks for using torrents/P2P. Or it's completely blocked.
Using a VPN you can both circumvent this block and prevent being banned from the network, as they can't see what you're doing behind a VPN, as it's all encrypted.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum