I have both Origin & G4TW versions of Sims 4, how can I manage the "Documents"-folder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have both Origin & G4TW versions of Sims 4, how can I manage the "Documents"-folder?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 20:41

Hello all,

Since a lot of people have purchased both an Origin-version of The Sims 4, and also want to play with RELOADED/G4TW-versions of the game, the following post might come in handy. Yes, you can have both a legit game and a cracked game installed on the same computer/drive-partition, and play with both of them.

But since both games use the same location for their savefiles, mods, CC and whatnot (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4), you will need to make certain arrangements so that the Origin-version and the cracked version don't conflict with each other.

The method I use is "folder renaming". For this example here, let's assume you are happily playing the Origin-game of TS4. Navigate to the location C:\Users\(your username)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.

At any given time, there can only be one (1) folder "The Sims 4" in the location. The folder "The Sims 4" will be used by any TS4 game, once you start it up.

1) Look at the following screenshot, and MEMORIZE the folder marked there. Memorize it in such a way that it belongs to the Origin-game.

2) To help yourself a little more, you can go inside the folder, and put a kind of "marker" inside. In my example, a .txt file named as "Origin game".

3) Another way to help yourself a bit is to look at the file GameVersion.txt. The folder "The Sims 4", which has a higher number in the GameVersion.txt, is mostly going to belong to the Origin-game.

4) Now, you are/were playing the Origin game. And you now want the RELOADED/G4TW versions. You must make the folder "The Sims 4"  that belongs to the Origin-game, inactive. That is usually achieved by renaming the folder, but you could as well MOVE the folder out of that location. I myself renamed it, see the following screenshot.

5) To make things easier for you, you could choose a folder name that clearly marks the Origin-game as such. Look at the following screenshot, I have renamed the Origin-folder once more (for illustration purposes), into The Sims 4_ORIGIN

When you now install the cracked game, and start it up there will be no issues, if you did everything correctly. In that location, there will be a new folder named "The Sims 4", this one now belongs to the RELOADED/G4TW game. If you like, you can again "mark" that folder, by putting a .txt file inside, stating which game the folder belongs to.

6) Should you want to play again the Origin-version of TS4, you have to make the folder belonging to the RELOADED/G4TW "inactive" again, by renaming it. I chose "The Sims 4_G4TW".

The folder named "The Sims 4_Origin" needs to be renamed back to "The Sims 4", to become activated again. Then we can play the Origin-game again.

7) Some users have thought that "forgetting" to rename folders is a huge problem with this method. If you feel you have forgotten to activate/deactivate the appropriate folder, I suggest you exit the game without saving. Then you go under C:\Users\(your username)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 and go inside the folder "The Sims 4". Delete the file GameVersion.txt then.

Now you proceed with renaming the folders. What is your active folder, and what is the other folder in your location? See screenshot #5 above. If you really forget to rename folders, you can look at the folder you renamed LAST, and from there determine which game the active folder belongs to. Screenshot #5 shows a folder named The Sims 4_ORIGIN and the folder The Sims 4. The first one belongs to the Origin-game of TS4, and the second one to the "other game", which will be the cracked one.

Basically that is it, but here are some additional thoughts:

If you are prone to making mistakes, or if you are not good in "organizing" this type of stuff, the method I outlined may not be optimal for you. Other alternative methods to cope with the problem, as described by user @Tarac, include creating a different user account, which will make most sense if you don't have a computer of your own and/or you share the computer with other persons living in your household. The other method involves tricking the game into believing that the active folder has the correct game version. With the latter method you don't have to rename folders anymore, but you will have to think twice about using mods. If you want to use that second method, I don't recommend using any custom content, since both games (Origin & cracked) will still have different patch versions, and the method outlined is helpful for bypassing the "folder switching" I just described.

At the end of the day, all methods to cope with the problem have some disadvantage, and you have to ask yourselves whether it is worth the hassle, to have both Origin & RELOADED games installed on the same setup, or even if it's worth buying the basegame on Origin. 

Either way, you have you choose a method that suits you best.

DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS IN THIS TOPIC. INSTEAD, PLEASE OPEN A NEW TOPIC IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM-SECTION, EITHER "THE SIMS 4 DOWNLOADS SUPPORT" OR "THE SIMS 4 IN-GAME SUPPORT"! THANK-YOU-NOTES CAN BE POSTED HERE.

Last edited by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 16:00; edited 2 times in total

G4TW Forum rules // G4TW Forum FAQ // G4TW Downloads // G4TW on ThePiratebay

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14830

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I have both Origin & G4TW versions of Sims 4, how can I manage the "Documents"-folder?

Post by Tarac on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 20:57

In addition to point 7 above:

Since the introduction of toddlers in the legally bought game - version 1.26, these toddlers are not present in the downloaded version 1.25.
When you forget to change names in the folder Documents\Electronic Arts and you have created toddlers in the original game and you continue playing with the downloaded games, the toddlers are gone.
When you then save that game, your earlier created toddlers have also disappeared in the original game.
So be very alert on changing foldernames every time you switch games.

//EDIT

To avoid this name-changing and further clashes, think about one or more solutions to fix this problem:

1. Play the 2 versions (legal and illegal) in 2 different languages. The folder in documents\electronic arts will no longer be shared as they have different names. (Some languages however still use the english name The Sims 4, I think it was Italian or Portuguese)
2. Make a new user-account in Windows for either the legal or the illegal game. Each account will have its own Documents section.
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games
Male Posts : 2267

View user profile http://www.tarac.nl

Back to top Go down

Re: I have both Origin & G4TW versions of Sims 4, how can I manage the "Documents"-folder?

Post by cyberraga on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 17:31

mine is like that.

"o" goes for original and "p" goes for pirate. I tip my fedora.
cyberraga
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Skyrim, League of Legends, The Sims 4, Terraria, GTA V, Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs (rip)
Female Posts : 39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 08:39

@cyberraga wrote:mine is like that.

The setup shown in your screenshot may be interesting for periods where you take a pause from playing TS4. But if you are actually playing the game regularly, neither of the folders in your screenshot are going to be recognized by the game (I'm sure you knew that already; and the only reason I'm even posting this is for the interested reader).

If you wanted to "mark" the folders, you could use the method I described above, like .txt files that are INSIDE these folders...

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 overview ! // How to install The Sims 3 // Expansion install checklist for TS3 // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & site navigation problems. Also, when after 24 hours of you posting a topic on the Forum you have not received a reply and still need help, you can send me an e-mail message as well!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 11:14

The method of changing foldernames can be very tricky when you forget to change foldernames

Suppose you have:
* legit game (base game + vampires) - version 1.27
* pirated game (everything upto and incl. City Living) - version 1.25

You've last played the pirated game (1.25)
Now you start the legit game (and forgot to change the folder)
Of course you'll notice the warning that some items are missing and cannot be loaded in the game.
At that point your folder The Sims 4 in Documents will be updated to 1.27.
You ignore the warning and continue playing the legit game, creating toddlers and/or vampires and save the game.

Now you start the pirated game again.
No warning about version number and updating via Origin because your folder in Documents is already updated to 1.27
However, you cannot play with toddlers and vampires !
When you save that game, the previously created toddlers/vampires are definately LOST, also in your legit game.

That's why I prefer the method of a new Windows-account for either the legit or the pirated game.
No folder changing required, no chance to mix or ruin the folders in My Documents as both Windows-accounts have their own The Sims 4 folder.
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games
Male Posts : 2267

View user profile http://www.tarac.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberraga on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 13:34

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@cyberraga wrote:mine is like that.

The setup shown in your screenshot may be interesting for periods where you take a pause from playing TS4. But if you are actually playing the game regularly, neither of the folders in your screenshot are going to be recognized by the game (I'm sure you knew that already; and the only reason I'm even posting this is for the interested reader).

If you wanted to "mark" the folders, you could use the method I described above, like .txt files that are INSIDE these folders...
gurl, i know this. it was just an example for when switching game versions Rolling Eyes
i mean, it was pretty obvious. i doubt anyone would rename their sims 4 folder like mine and expect the game to run without creating a new sims 4 folder with the correct name  Oh my... .
cyberraga
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Skyrim, League of Legends, The Sims 4, Terraria, GTA V, Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs (rip)
Female Posts : 39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 13:55

@cyberraga wrote:i doubt anyone would rename their sims 4 folder like mine and expect the game to run without creating a new sims 4 folder with the correct name  Oh my... .

You never know...could be that some users may see the screenshot and think it's easier to do (than reading the opening post here).

Tea 4

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum