Wouldn't it be smart if we had like these sentences on the first post in this thread?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wouldn't it be smart if we had like these sentences on the first post in this thread?

Post by Merkmons on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:32

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Tarac wrote:
//EDIT

The_gh0stm4n wrote:By the way everybody: with this post here, we have 893 messages in the thread. When we reached 990, the thread gets closed automatically and any new messages are split into a new thread. That is a technicality of the Forum software and done automatically.

But don't let yourselves get discouraged by this little side-note. Just thought I'd mention it outside the Mods-sections as well, and to mix things up a bit here. Very Happy

Why not simply remove all items in this thread and replace it by just one:

No there is no crack for toddlers/vampires as yet.
No we don't know how long it will take nor the size of the crack
No G4TW does not produce cracks themselves
Yes, everything sofar looking like a crack is a fake.

I have to admit I didn't think about the thing with the restore points, though as of Windows 7/8/10, I haven't been using those anymore (and didn't really need to either). Instead I've made multiple backups of savefiles, etc.

Also, as much as one might find these constant questions about "when the new crack comes out" boring...if we didn't have these big threads people would just open an endless myriad of single threads, which will mostly end up unresolved because a lot of people are not going to bother replying back with "topic solved" when we tell them we don't know when the crack comes. I don't know, but I think I would rather prefer dealing with a thread like this here, rather than many small topics that have the same questions over and over. Smile

Wouldn't it be smart if we had like these sentences on the first post in this thread? People coming in this thread to ask usually read the first post, right? Or just a small annotation to look at the latest replies to see if a crack is out already? I'm pretty new here so if that's a stupid/unmakeable idea, please just ignore me Smile

Merkmons
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Overwatch, Sims

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wouldn't it be smart if we had like these sentences on the first post in this thread?

Post by Tarac on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:48

Merkmons wrote:
Tarac wrote:Why not simply remove all items in this thread and replace it by just one:

No there is no crack for toddlers/vampires as yet.
No we don't know how long it will take nor the size of the crack
No G4TW does not produce cracks themselves
Yes, everything sofar looking like a crack is a fake.

Wouldn't it be smart if we had like these sentences on the first post in this thread? People coming in this thread to ask usually read the first post, right? Or just a small annotation to look at the latest replies to see if a crack is out already? I'm pretty new here so if that's a stupid/unmakeable idea, please just ignore me Smile
No, not stupid at all but I don't know what the possibilities of the moderators are to insert a FIRST POST
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games
Male Posts : 2267

View user profile http://www.tarac.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 12:22

Merkmons wrote:

Hello @Merkmons and welcome to the Forum,

Not bad, not bad. Indeed, also in my experience, people tend to focus on the beginning of the thread and the very end. In this case I'm not so sure though. We already have the Global Announcement here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t24386-must-read-the-sims-4-toddlers-and-vampires-faq

Which contains 'these questions' (and more), and which shows up at the top of every Forum subsection. Yes, we could edit the opening post as well and simply put a link to that Global Announcement. There is also an option to insert a piece of text, that always shows up whenever you are writing a post on here, and that text could include a link to that FAQ. 

But then again, I personally have no problem with the repetitive nature of these questions (most questions and subjects brought up on any forum will become repetitive at some point). Also, I don't see too much point in repeating the FAQ, even if it's just in these big discussion threads: sooner or later it will be seen as "rule overkill", and - also in my experience - these big bold red notices tend to get ignored quite often either way. 

For example, see this very thread here and look at the opening post: I put a bold red notice asking people to actually open up threads in the proper support-sections if they had game issues, yet a lot of users still post their questions here. Make no mistake: as much as it sounds, I'm not salty at all. Sometimes, it can be better to "roll with the things as they come", rather than micro-managing everything. So I am content with moving only posts that are really off-topic here.

But we'll see what we do in the future. Notwithstanding, the basic idea is still good. Smile

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Builder on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 13:44

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Merkmons wrote:

Hello @Merkmons and welcome to the Forum,

Not bad, not bad. Indeed, also in my experience, people tend to focus on the beginning of the thread and the very end. In this case I'm not so sure though. We already have the Global Announcement here:
http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t24386-must-read-the-sims-4-toddlers-and-vampires-faq

Which contains 'these questions' (and more), and which shows up at the top of every Forum subsection. Yes, we could edit the opening post as well and simply put a link to that Global Announcement. There is also an option to insert a piece of text, that always shows up whenever you are writing a post on here, and that text could include a link to that FAQ. 

But then again, I personally have no problem with the repetitive nature of these questions (most questions and subjects brought up on any forum will become repetitive at some point). Also, I don't see too much point in repeating the FAQ, even if it's just in these big discussion threads: sooner or later it will be seen as "rule overkill", and - also in my experience - these big bold red notices tend to get ignored quite often either way. 

For example, see this very thread here and look at the opening post: I put a bold red notice asking people to actually open up threads in the proper support-sections if they had game issues, yet a lot of users still post their questions here. Make no mistake: as much as it sounds, I'm not salty at all. Sometimes, it can be better to "roll with the things as they come", rather than micro-managing everything. So I am content with moving only posts that are really off-topic here.

But we'll see what we do in the future. Notwithstanding, the basic idea is still good. Smile
Well, maybe the problem is there are too many announcements. In this subsection alone, there are nine announcement, stickies included. Of those, four are marked as *MUST READ*. To me it looks quite messy/ disorderly. Personally, I don't even notice it when another announcement is made, because there are so many already. If there were one global announcement that deals with everything TS4 related, I would be more likely to read it. Right now it's more like: "I read and accept the terms of use".

Builder
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 15:55

Builder wrote:Well, maybe the problem is there are too many announcements. In this subsection alone, there are nine announcement, stickies included. Of those, four are marked as *MUST READ*. To me it looks quite messy/ disorderly. Personally, I don't even notice it when another announcement is made, because there are so many already. If there were one global announcement that deals with everything TS4 related, I would be more likely to read it. Right now it's more like: "I read and accept the terms of use".
I fully agree;
I'm sorry to say that the forum is very messy at this point, but let's not forget that almost everything on this G4TW-forum is forced on to @The_gh0stm4n and he can't handle it all on his own.
All credits to this man who tries to do whatever he can, but also for him there are only 24 hours in a day.
The whole forum needs a "clean-up", the search function is no longer a real function as it will result in hundreds of answers for the same question.

In my view the forum needs one or more additional websites where answers are published in an orderly manner and easy to find for everyone.
Example: On my own Dutch forum we have links to other own websites about downloading all Sims games. Each download has its own "How to download and install" page. Many of them with a video how to do it. We also have a website dealing with technical problems about your computer.
Result, hardly any questions !
On the other hand, it makes the forum dull as there are no questions and all anwers are given.
Visitors pop in - find their answer - pop out again.
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 18:48

Builder wrote:Well, maybe the problem is there are too many announcements. (...)

Right now it's more like: "I read and accept the terms of use".

Maybe. One reason there are 9 stickies in this particular section is partly also because of the merging of all sims chit-chat sections into one (1) "The Sims Emporium", which I still find was a very much-needed merger, despite some disadvantages becoming apparent lately. Also, we are - yes indeed - not just about TS4, so the other stickies deal with TS2 & TS3. I was thinking of removing the long version of the TS4 FAQ since the short version already references it, if it helps a little...?! The remaining 4 Global Announcements must stay in my opinion (Edit: the long TS4 FAQ has been removed from the Global stickies now).

Builder wrote:If there were one global announcement that deals with everything TS4 related, I would be more likely to read it.

That I am inclined to doubt. Besides the fact that the TS4 Globals are thematically different, I don't think people would read fewer condensed "mega posts that contain everything [about TS4]". In my experience, the Forum is frequented mostly by kids/millenials who often tend to be less patient than adult users, and they don't like reading at all. Especially not such potentially long mega-posts. Plus, my opinion is, if people are having such tremendous difficulties with supposedly too many stickies (are their topic titles not clear enough already?) then the UI of the classic Forum may not be their cup of tea, as the saying goes. Nothing to be ashamed of, especially considering the point of reference of most (younger) users these days is going to be Facebook/Twitter/Reddit and their mobile versions, and naturally, people are going to look for these features on classic Forums as well.

Back to topic. Maybe there is some Javascript or similar that the Admins can implement here, so that you have a feature here like on Wikipedia, that when you click on something in the table of contents you jump immediately to the section you click on. By default Forumotion does not have this feature though, and hence I am reluctant to start merging everything into said mega posts. 

But again, maybe it can help to unsticky the long version of the TS4 FAQ already, indeed.

Builder wrote:Personally, I don't even notice it when another announcement is made

New topics/posts made since your last login will be lit up. Posts/Announcements usually have a green-lit logo. And Forum sections that have these posts are lit up in yellow on the index (main page). You can also go inside a subsection and click on the little button "actions" in the top right. Then on view posts since last visit. I know this may not be as neat "as it could be". Plus, commercial and more modern Forum software may be better in terms of following certain threads or even Forum sections, but as of now we have to deal with the free host provided here.

Before you ask "why not switch to a self hosted Forum", note that we would have to pay that at our own cost since asking for donations is mostly futile. Nothing to be ashamed about, but people always think that everything is self-sufficient, when in fact, things cost money. Another reason is, Forumotion like most other of these free hosts doesn't provide you with the database of the Forum. So if we were to start with a cleaner slate, all posts would be gone. There are potentially ways to circumvent this issue, but that will need to be looked at in greater detail later on, plus I won't go into more details in public here - for reasons I assume you can figure out on your own.

Tarac wrote:I'm sorry to say that the forum is very messy at this point, but let's not forget that almost everything on this G4TW-forum is forced on to @The_gh0stm4n and he can't handle it all on his own.
All credits to this man who tries to do whatever he can, but also for him there are only 24 hours in a day.
The whole forum needs a "clean-up", the search function is no longer a real function as it will result in hundreds of answers for the same question.

No offence taken, man. Smile  And thanks for the (deserved?) credit! But as indicated above, there are certain shortcomings about Forumotion's software, and unbeknownst to most outsiders, the limited search function is actually one of them! Also as a result of there being too many topics, I guess. 

Admin once wrote up an FAQ for The Sims 3 that was on the old website, but now that I think about it again, I'm not seeing it yet on the new site. Maybe we should start do something along those lines for TS4 as well.

We'll see what the future holds. Good discussion and valid points though, not bad at all! Although I don't necessarily agree with the proposed suggestions given here, the basic concerns are valid.

Last edited by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 19:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos fixed.)

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 19:27

I know it's difficult to find free websites with unlimited number of pages.
Sites like weebly are limited to 5 pages, unless you pay, even my own paid-host (one.com) has limited it to 7 pages (not applicable to the forum however) unless I pay monthly just about the same as I now pay yearly.
Mega has reduced the bandwith to 10 GB per day.
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Wouldn't it be smart if we had like these sentences on the first post in this thread?

Post by misssweetmercy on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 19:35

I think simplifying the announcements a bit more would help, if possible.

There are forum members who don't speak/read English as their first language as well as some younger members who might not be able to understand the posts as easily. I think it might help alleviate the confusion if the information were more concise and very simple. 

I think the reason why so many users continue to ask for this info even when referred to the FAQ is because the posts are a bit long or hard to read for them. The four sentences suggested summarize it quite well for them and it's easy(ier?) to read. Maybe for those who would like a bit more info, there could be referral links to another, more detailed post?

I'm not sure how possible that'd be... but I think it might help with the posts asking for the crack or information. 

Just a point to add to the discussion! Thank you ghostman for managing the forums as you are! Smile

misssweetmercy
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims (Series); L.A. Noire; Animal Crossing;
Female Posts : 53

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 10:02

//SPLIT

Posts have been split and moved from "The Sims Emporium", to "Site Navigation". If anybody has further ideas about easing the navigation issues, let us know.

Warning: TEA

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 13:22

If G4TW could open a separate website it would make things easier and neater to organize.
Video's could be added showing people how to download and install the various games.
When such video's are placed on YouTube they will be removed sooner or later.

The new Mega Downloader can stream video's from Mega cloud-websites, so maybe that's an alternative.
In Weebly Pro (costs money) you can embed video's as well. see EXAMPLE on my Dutch weebly site on how to use Mega Downloader, bottom of page)
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 10:28

Tarac wrote:If G4TW could open a separate website it would make things easier and neater to organize.
Video's could be added showing people how to download and install the various games.
When such video's are placed on YouTube they will be removed sooner or later.

The new Mega Downloader can stream video's from Mega cloud-websites, so maybe that's an alternative.
In Weebly Pro (costs money) you can embed video's as well. see EXAMPLE on my Dutch weebly site on how to use Mega Downloader, bottom of page)

There is a website already, but still very far from finished:
https://games4theworld.org/

Over time, more material can be added there, but I restrict my activity on the site mostly to adding new torrents when needed. In addition to a possible embedding, it might also be advantageous to upload the video source files on disposable filehosting accounts, so people download it only once, and can watch the video later, as often as they like. But that's just a minor detail...

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 11:29

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
There is a website already, but still very far from finished:
https://games4theworld.org/

Over time, more material can be added there, but I restrict my activity on the site mostly to adding new torrents when needed. In addition to a possible embedding, it might also be advantageous to upload the video source files on disposable filehosting accounts, so people download it only once, and can watch the video later, as often as they like. But that's just a minor detail...
Embedded video's on weebly can also be downloaded.
Tarac
=D Child of Admin =D
=D Child of Admin =D

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :