What stuff decides the speed of your PC?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What stuff decides the speed of your PC?

Post by .pointer on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 15:15

Hello (: It's me again Razz

I was wondering, what things are making your system fast(er)?
Processor? Processor GHz?
Ram? HDD?
Video Card? Windows (xp, vista, 7 etc)

Is Ultimate faster or slower on a lower-end laptop? (Using Windows 7 64bit Home Premium now)
2 years ago I bought my laptop, it was a older model and quite cheap (like 450€) with
- 4 GB RAM
- Amd Athlon II X2 processor M300 2GHz 1mb L2 cache
- 500 gb HDD
15.6 inches
though a bad battery, just 2 hours of gaming with full accu (when not charching(?))

I then thought: High ram + videocard = fast but now I know the processor is the most important...
Im already looking for a Desktop (or notebook depending on price) which should be used for
- Hardcore gaming like Call Of Duty, new series, Sims 3/ newer sims games, race games, minecraft etc.
- School purposes - capable of hard multitasking: must be capable of having like 10 internet chrome tabs, 2 word files, msn etc. opened without too bad lagg
- Much internet use. Need a receiver or something? Downloading must be high too and the new SiteCom router isn't that good at sending data.. (just 2 of the 5 connection)
- Not too expensive -- dont think need i7, 2tb and 15 GB ram or something.

.pointer
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What stuff decides the speed of your PC?

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 15:26

Hello,
I think a pc that is good for gaming should perform the other tasks you need it for quite well as well.
For gaming, your videocard is very important. My pc doesn't really cut it for The Sims 3, my CPU is not fast enough, but because my videocard is reasonable I'm able to play with medium quality settings even, and without crashing or lagging.
I think your best bet is to build the pc yourself. You can customize everything to fit your own needs and you can get the best deal because you can choose which parts you need and actually look around for the best deals.
I'm hoping to get a new pc this year. What I'm going to do is look at the systemrequirements for the most demanding game of the moment I'd like to play. Skyrim in my case. Get whatever parts I need to play the game comfortably. Unfortunately I'm not in a position that allows me to upgrade at all, none of my current hardware is compatible with what I need.

☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 17:23

Hi there,

Well, it must be a dekstop PC for sure. Everything together makes your PC fast(er). For example, if you have an i7 processor, with 15GB RAM and 2TB HDD space, but your HDD's spinning speed (RPM) is 5400, it's not going to be fast(er).
Video card, you're going to need a separate video card, so not one that's integrated into your Motherboard. (Which is the case with most laptops)

Ultimate certainly is slower than lower versions of Windows. (Home, starter etc) On a very bad laptop I recommend starter. (Netbooks etc)
Your laptop is not very bad. If you don't move your laptop, I recommend taking out the battery and just plugging in the power cord. Be careful that it doesn't accidentally unplugs.
I think a i5 should do good for your purposes. Maybe even a i3. 4GB RAM is more than enough and a video card with at least 512MB memory. 500-600W power should do, depending on the graphic card you want to use. The network card is usually integrated in the Motherboard, nothing wrong with that.
For a router I'd recommend a Linksys, they have really great (!) support. Sitecom's support and product quality is just crap. Receiver? Only if you're going to use wireless connection (Wifi), but I recommend connecting via cable, it's much faster.
You should make yourself a budget and then look for PC parts.

By the way, I love how you said:
.pointer wrote:
- Hardcore gaming like minecraft etc.
LOL.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by .pointer on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 19:48

Yes well, minecraft isn´t really hardcore gaming but still requires a fast computer to make it laggfree. Special for you:

- Softcore gaming like Minecraft Very Happy
Thx for the reactions, helps me much Very Happy

We tried cable already. Went like about the entire house to reach my room, and then saw there was something broken. So it's no options (also 'cuz the wire is still in there)..
I meant like the battery of my notebook is bad, not that it doesn't work Wink When at full charge, without the charging cable plugged in it does 2 hours gaming before it shuts Wink

.pointer
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 23:06

.pointer wrote:Yes well, minecraft isn´t really hardcore gaming but still requires a fast computer to make it laggfree. Special for you:

- Softcore gaming like Minecraft Very Happy
Thx for the reactions, helps me much Very Happy

We tried cable already. Went like about the entire house to reach my room, and then saw there was something broken. So it's no options (also 'cuz the wire is still in there)..
I meant like the battery of my notebook is bad, not that it doesn't work Wink When at full charge, without the charging cable plugged in it does 2 hours gaming before it shuts Wink
Hello,

Haha, thank you, I feel special now.
What do you mean 'broken'? What exactly was wrong?
No, I didn't meant that your battery was bad either, but if you do not move your laptop, why use the battery? It only ruins the battery, keeping your laptop in charge 24/7. And it gets very hot, which isn't good for your laptop (and the battery). And it feels nicer when you put it on your lap while playing games or surfing the web.
I recommend keeping the battery for moments when you really need it. (E.g. your taking your laptop abroad and just want to do something on your laptop quickly)

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by .pointer on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 15:58

Something went wrong within the cable, I dunno exactly what. It just didn't work becuz I tried it ;P It's hardly repairable, well it is but I and my family isn't so technical. My uncle is but, he never has time :p

Well the cable of my laptop sometimes just falls out. It isn't very strong in there and I don't wanna risk it to, i.o. when playing Sims and didn't save I have to do it all over again, or when making some schoolassignment on the laptop I can do that again Razz im sorry (:

.pointer
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum