The Sims 3 vs The Sims 4 dilemma.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 3 vs The Sims 4 dilemma.

Post by monkeyboysteve on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 13:19

Does anybody else have the same issue as me?

I love the sims 3 and think it is the best sims game ever made, but after playing Sims 4 I can't go back to it.
Sims 3 just runs horribly, even with NRAAS mods and tweaks etc it runs like a dog (especially at nighttime)
But then I play sims 4 and miss all the content sims 3 has (and the better unlocks for skils), so I try and go back to Sims 3... and the cycle continues until several hours have passed and I realise I
haven't actually played  the games at all, i have just grumped because I am not playing the other one.

Took 5 hours of my life today... Not sure if it's my aspergers, but I just can't settle on which one to play.

Then I tried Sims 2 but missed the fact it doesn't have moodlets and gave up.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Favourite games : Sims

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sims 3 vs The Sims 4 dilemma.

Post by KidDude on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 14:39

The Sims 4 is the Sims 3 with no open world.
But the sims 4 has better gameplay and options, way more tweaks and new system.
For me TS4 Base game is way better than TS3 Base game (you can say i played both 1500+ hours).
Of course you want to play TS3 as it has all the expansions as seasons, university, pets and so on.
When TS4 gets all those EPs it'll be FAR better than TS3. (even though its a cowmilk)
But it's your choice and you make the decisions, and choose what you like.
KidDude
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4
Male Posts : 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 14:50

Sims 4 basegame was loads better than sims 3s.

There are no guarantees Sims 4 will get all the expansions (just like 3 never got an open for business style pack)
Sims 4 still seems shallow compared to 3. hopefully it will get more great expansions like parenthood.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KidDude on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 14:53

@monkeyboysteve wrote:Sims 4 basegame was loads better than sims 3s.

There are no guarantees Sims 4 will get all the expansions (just like 3 never got an open for business style pack)
Sims 4 still seems shallow compared to 3. hopefully it will get more great expansions like parenthood.
Yeah, The Sims 4 Expansions suck so far,  except for City Living, the only one i use. GTW is cool and all but after some hours is boring. GT, i don't think this is an EP. Like wtf, a dumb club system with a boring world. *PS modders could have done a better club system*.
I really wish GT was replaced with Seasons or Pets. Talk to my rite hand Why.
KidDude
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4
Male Posts : 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 14:57

Same, I love GTW and parenthood. but I wish they stop making the crappy packs like bowling (which is worse than the bowling in 2 by far) and concentrate on the big ones people want. If it had pets and seasons i would be more than happy, would love university as well though.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 19:09

@monkeyboysteve wrote:Does anybody else have the same issue as me?

I love the sims 3 and think it is the best sims game ever made, but after playing Sims 4 I can't go back to it.
Sims 3 just runs horribly, even with NRAAS mods and tweaks etc it runs like a dog (especially at nighttime)
But then I play sims 4 and miss all the content sims 3 has (and the better unlocks for skils), so I try and go back to Sims 3... and the cycle continues until several hours have passed and I realise I
haven't actually played  the games at all, i have just grumped because I am not playing the other one.

Took 5 hours of my life today... Not sure if it's my aspergers, but I just can't settle on which one to play.

Then I tried Sims 2 but missed the fact it doesn't have moodlets and gave up.

The Sims 4 was specifically developed so that people with low(er)-end computers are able to play it as well. Which contrary to popular perception is not merely a nice gesture towards that consumer base, but also increases the pool of people potentially buying the game, and which in turn means potentially more $$$ for EA.

The Sims 3 was not so well implemented technically, you could even have a higher-end PC and still encounter performance problems. If lowering settings doesn't yield any improvements, try using fewer DLCs (i.e. uninstall those expansions/stuffpacks that you don't really like). Some people also said that the version 1.69 of The Sims 3 available on Origin includes the option of "turning off" specific DLCs.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†
Male Posts : 13885

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 20:04

I have the 1.69 patch... don't recall being able to turn off all DLC. the pack I used had all the DLC included (and can't uninstall any otherwise the game crashes) as installing each one manually took bloody ages.

Even with just a few DLC (I own the base game plus 5 expansions) it runs like cack at nighttime, just poorly optimised.

There are a few things i love about sims 4 as well, owning businesses and the chance cards returning for example. so still a hard choice even if Sims 3 ran a little better.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 20:08

@monkeyboysteve wrote:I have the 1.69 patch... don't recall being able to turn off all DLC. the pack I used had all the DLC included (and can't uninstall any otherwise the game crashes) as installing each one manually took bloody ages.

Not sure if there are already cracked versions of The Sims 3 on version 1.69, but through Origin those individual DLC can be turned off in the launcher.

Maybe @Tarac can help you further with that 1.69 version or give you other advice.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Titanfall, Counter-Strike, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 20:15

Surprised I never really use the launcher, maybe I will have a look. Can finally turn off that Katy Perry crap. lol

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 22:32

@monkeyboysteve wrote:Surprised I never really use the launcher, maybe I will have a look (...)

If you don't have that option in your launcher though, you probably cannot have The Sims 3 version 1.69 either.

Edit: I suppose that noticeable performance improvements can be achieved through turning off expansion packs, due to them adding significant gameplay additions. Just make sure to be careful, if you turn off an expansion that adds a new world and your save actually uses that particular world, you probably can't load your old save anymore unless you turn the EP back on.

But merely turning off a few stuffpacks won't add much performance improvement, is my guess.
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 12:40

I thought I had 1.69 but that was only on my bought copy.
As I said before, even the base game plus a few expansions runs like crap compared to 4.

If they rereleased a complete collection with new optimisation and a 64bit option it would sell like crazy.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 13:16

With Sims 3 you'll never know.
I have a laptop with 64 bits Windows 10, 16 GB RAM and a reasonably good Nvidia GT 640 graphics card and an I-7 Intel CPU that cannot really cope with The Sims 3 + all DLC's.
I also have a PC with Windows 10 (64-bits), only 4 GB Ram and a crappy Nvidia 315 graphics card and an Intel I-3 CPU. No problems at all, can play for hours and no freezing or lag whatsoever.
Tarac
Quartermaster General
Honorary Team Member
Quartermaster General Honorary Team Member

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games
Male Posts : 1773

View user profile http://www.tarac.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 13:26

I don't have freezing as such, just choppy gameplay and the "speed up time" button barely works, especially compared to Sims 4 which zooms by if needed.
Without NRAAS mods I used to get proper freezed that lasted a minute or so.

Also the longer you play in sims 3 the worse the performance seems to get, last tiome I played it properly it used to take about 5 minutes to save the game, and that was with an SSD.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 14:02

@monkeyboysteve wrote:I don't have freezing as such, just choppy gameplay and the "speed up time" button barely works, especially compared to Sims 4 which zooms by if needed.

Also the longer you play in sims 3 the worse the performance seems to get, last tiome I played it properly it used to take about 5 minutes to save the game, and that was with an SSD.
I would not recommend to save gamedetails on an SSD as writing and overwriting an SSD makes it slower in the end.
But as your SSD is probably your C drive there is not much you can do about it.
In fact you can via mklink use your D drive or even an external drive to store your game progress (or other processes that involve much writing and rewriting)
Tarac
Quartermaster General
Honorary Team Member

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 16:14

@monkeyboysteve wrote:I don't have freezing as such, just choppy gameplay and the "speed up time" button barely works, especially compared to Sims 4 which zooms by if needed.

You can also google for "Sims 3 save file cleaner". Cleaning up the savefiles from time to time can also help improve general performance. But before using that tool, I'd recommend backing up your savefiles (so you have been warned).

Tea 5
The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 18:00

Yeah, I use that as well, helps a little. but there are too many issues with the game itself to solve everything.
i coped with it all for years, but after playing sims 4 I just can't go back to choppy laggy sims 3, despite the content.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit203 on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 22:28

I'm in the same boat, I LOVE the sims 3, just finally starting to like sims 4 since vampires, toddlers and parenthood and a vast assortment of mods. but i really wish i could play the sims 3, but like you, i just dont have the patience for it for the same reason and it drives me nuts cause i wanna play lol

Misfit203
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims (All of Em) :) , GTA, Need for speed, Mafia, Mortal Kombat, Batman, Dead or Alive, Saints Row, Far Cry, SILENT HILL! :) , Resident evil, Final Fantasy, Call of duty, Ghost recon
Male Posts : 369

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/TheCapeCoralStorm

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyboysteve on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 22:57

@Misfit203 wrote:I'm in the same boat, I LOVE the sims 3, just finally starting to like sims 4 since vampires, toddlers and parenthood and a vast assortment of mods. but i really wish i could play the sims 3, but like you, i just dont have the patience for it for the same reason and it drives me nuts cause i wanna play lol
Went back and forth again today, tried sims 3 but annoyed at the choppiness, so went to sims 4 and loved it... for an hour then realised it was shallow AF and missing too much.

It's the little things like washing lines and footballs etc that i miss in sims 4.

monkeyboysteve
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magdaleenah on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 01:45

As much as I LOVE The Sims 3, sometimes I never leave it open for that long because of the choppiness and the performance strain it takes on my computer, although I do enjoy it. I usually just spend most of my time in CAS because It's not as lag-heavy as in game. Sims 4 draws me in because of the speedy performance and nice visuals.
magdaleenah
Beginner
Beginner

Favourite games : TS2 BABYYYYYYY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Delecia on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 04:53

I LOVE the sims 3 it's my favorite, and i used to have ur problem. The sims 3 would even crash in the middle of playing it.
Tried so many solutions but nothing worked.
I uninstalled pets and a couple of other packs. Now works fast with no problems, exploring tombs now!
I advise you to uninstall packs u don't play with even if u like some on the build or cas stuff that came with them, cuz they just ruin things :\ ...
Happy simmin'!
Delecia
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:20

@Delecia wrote:I LOVE the sims 3 it's my favorite, and i used to have ur problem. The sims 3 would even crash in the middle of playing it.
Tried so many solutions but nothing worked.
I uninstalled pets and a couple of other packs. Now works fast with no problems, exploring tombs now!
I advise you to uninstall packs u don't play with even if u like some on the build or cas stuff that came with them, cuz they just ruin things :\ ...
Happy simmin'!
That is the main reason why the legit Game has an update/patch, 1.69, which allows you to switch off unwanted packs without uninstalling them.
Tarac
Quartermaster General
Honorary Team Member

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by Delecia on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 23:04

@tarac I actually didn't know that.. How is it done?
Delecia
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit203 Today at 10:32

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@monkeyboysteve wrote:I have the 1.69 patch... don't recall being able to turn off all DLC. the pack I used had all the DLC included (and can't uninstall any otherwise the game crashes) as installing each one manually took bloody ages.

Not sure if there are already cracked versions of The Sims 3 on version 1.69, but through Origin those individual DLC can be turned off in the launcher.

Maybe @Tarac can help you further with that 1.69 version or give you other advice.

@Delecia wrote:@tarac I actually didn't know that.. How is it done?

@delecia see the screenshot

Misfit203
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims (All of Em) :) , GTA, Need for speed, Mafia, Mortal Kombat, Batman, Dead or Alive, Saints Row, Far Cry, SILENT HILL! :) , Resident evil, Final Fantasy, Call of duty, Ghost recon
Male Posts : 369

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/TheCapeCoralStorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Delecia Today at 16:58

@misfit203 oh thank you
Delecia
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :