Why do admins and mods change their names ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do admins and mods change their names ?

Post by Polarbear on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 16:09

Admin = now Adwomin 

Lady Eldin = Araya = now ☠️ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠️

Carlos = now The_gh0stm4n 

Why, why, why ?

Staff should be recognized by their forumnames (not function or colour of their names), even when a "client"  has not visted the forum for a year (or more)

Mod edit: topic title clarified, personal 'labels' removed.

- The_gh0stm4n

Polarbear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do admins and mods change their names ?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 18:02

Polarbear wrote:(...)

Why, why, why ?

//MOVED

Hello again,

I'll tell you something that you may not know: Admin was even "Carlos" and Carlos was "Admin", for about a minute, a few years back. I guess it's a humorous tradition stemming from the time Admin was regularly active on the Forum. 

You could point out since we don't easily change usernames of regular people, we should hold ourselves to the same standard. Then again, the changes you perceive are not really constant. Also, who really cares in the end? 98% of people register here, post a few questions, and then leave again. The remaining 2% who do return here periodically will usually recognize the "old people behind the new names". I myself have always been recognized as "Carlos", because of past e-mail exchanges, my avatar, and past PMs. If there have been past PM exchanges over the Forum, the new username will also affect PMs sent in the past. So if a person really comes back to the Forum and looks at old messages, they will notice the new name and then (usually) draw the conclusion that the Helper from the past has a new name, for whatever reason.

As for the side-remarks that you so kindly put in brackets ("transgender", "not available through PM", "doesn't want to be contacted"), first off I don't see anything wrong with any of that, so the fact that you bring this up is somewhat unusual. But I will tell you this, from my perspective. The name that I use on the Forum at the present moment, I also used to use on Steam and Origin. At some point I changed those account names to something else and then unfriended most people on the friend lists that I had there. Plus I don't accept friend requests from random people anymore, should they even find out about my new names there, which I don't generally give out. Steam & Origin accounts are different in names plus the e-mail addresses associated with them. It's a measure just in case Steam or Origin try associating my accounts with the activities on the Forum here, and then decide to ban those accounts. Not likely to happen in practice, but still important to think about. 

While I can't say much about the reasoning of the two Admins, it's fair to assume that their motivations are somewhat similar to mine. I'll leave the issue, with that being said.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.
Male Posts : 14419

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 18:46

Hello,

Seems like The_gh0stm4n has explained his own reason, and mine aren't far off.

I changed from Edin to Arya for personal reasons, which I do not care to get into. I also changed a number of other accounts to the same or similar, but then I started to think that it didn't make sense to have all of my "other" accounts (Steam, YouTube, etc.) associated with the Forum here. It was simply easier to change this one nickname, than to change all the rest, or make new accounts even.

Sidenote: The picture is "Ann Bonney" from a tv show about pirates: Black Sails. As such, it seemed appropriate for what we're doing here.

I can't speak for Admin/Adwomin, but he has changed his name a whole lot of times, and I am fairly sure he's been using this particular one for about a year.

So yes, these are our reasons, but also, because we can.

☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15112

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 21:54

@Polarbear, I edited your topic title and removed the lovely labels that you attached to each of us. Try being closer to the truth (as we don't 'constantly' change the usernames) and try staying on-topic, by leaving out personal remarks or labels that don't add anything to the discussion at hand besides potentially ridiculing other people. In general, for the future also try putting that passive-aggressive undertone aside please. Even if your native tongue may not be English, I don't think it's a lot to ask to be mindful of how you phrase your comments.

I tip my fedora.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Minecraft, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Titanfall, Team Fortress 2, Darkest Hour, GTA V, GTA: San Andreas, S.W.A.T. 4, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Dishonored, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†, Enter the Gungeon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Yesterday at 20:58

By the way:

Polarbear wrote:Staff should be recognized by their forumnames (not function or colour of their names), even when a "client"  has not visted the forum for a year (or more)

People may retire from the Forum work at some point. And/or may not be interested at all in the Forum anymore. In that sense, people recognizing former Helpers/Moderators may be somewhat displaced. If you see the last login date from a former staff to be over a year ago, would you feel it appropriate to actually contact that user, for some game problem of yours?

And even if a user - eager to get their game problem fixed as quickly as possible - "overlooks" the last login date of a former staff, in the context of G4TW it's still better to pay attention to the function/username color.

Edit: doesn't rule out of course that users still try contacting former/inactive staff in practice, especially if they see that former member has posted something interesting. Happened to me during periods of extended inactivity. For practical purposes though users should preferably contact one of the active staff instead.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum