"This filename is too long!"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"This filename is too long!"

Post by PrincelessPrincess on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 01:33

Hi there. So, I'm trying to clean up my computer and realized that I have the entire Sims 3 collection on my computer and I don't play it anymore since I started playing Sims 4. I went to go delete some files from when I initially downloaded the game (not the games themselves yet, so these files are in a completely different folder than the regular game files) and I came into this pain in the arse:

"The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to shorter name(s) before attempting this operation."

The problem? The files in question I CAN'T OPEN/MOVE. I can't even see their properties! When I try, it only gives me the option to open, open in new window, include in library, and share. They're .lproj files with .scripts files inside. (I figured this out by poking around in the other files that I COULD open) It seems the culprits are mostly Hungarian.lproj, Norwegian.lproj, and Portugese.lproj. It seems to only be happening in 70s,80s,& 90s Stuff; Island Paradise; Katy Perry's Sweet Treats; Movie Stuff and University Life. All the other expansion and stuff packs deleted with no issue. 

I have been poking around the internet trying EVERYTHING I could find. I even went into cmd to try some commands and nothing is working. I can't just delete the games as these are the files you initially get to actually install the games themselves. So deleting the games won't delete these files. Why God. Can anyone help me? Has anyone else run into this?

PrincelessPrincess
Beginner
Beginner

Favourite games : Sims 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "This filename is too long!"

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 17:39

@PrincelessPrincess wrote:Hi there. So, I'm trying to clean up my computer and realized that I have the entire Sims 3 collection on my computer and I don't play it anymore since I started playing Sims 4. I went to go delete some files from when I initially downloaded the game (not the games themselves yet, so these files are in a completely different folder than the regular game files) and I came into this pain in the arse:

"The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to shorter name(s) before attempting this operation."

The problem? The files in question I CAN'T OPEN/MOVE. I can't even see their properties! When I try, it only gives me the option to open, open in new window, include in library, and share. They're .lproj files with .scripts files inside. (I figured this out by poking around in the other files that I COULD open) It seems the culprits are mostly Hungarian.lproj, Norwegian.lproj, and Portugese.lproj. It seems to only be happening in 70s,80s,& 90s Stuff; Island Paradise; Katy Perry's Sweet Treats; Movie Stuff and University Life. All the other expansion and stuff packs deleted with no issue. 

I have been poking around the internet trying EVERYTHING I could find. I even went into cmd to try some commands and nothing is working. I can't just delete the games as these are the files you initially get to actually install the games themselves. So deleting the games won't delete these files. Why God.  Can anyone help me? Has anyone else run into this?

Hello and welcome to the Forum @PrincelessPrincess,

I'll assume you are talking about actually uninstalling the game? And the system doesn't "let" you? I would guess at that point it could be some antivirus-issue, or something related. If you are indeed wanting to uninstall the game, check out G4TW's Download page here:
https://games4theworld.org/downloads/

Grab the "Your Uninstaller Pro" torrent, and install it according to the included installation guide. Open up the program, double-click on a program/game and then choose "Super Mode". For The Sims 3, you will need to uninstall all expansions and stuffpacks one-by-one. When done with everything please re-boot the computer, and there you go!

Good luck, and in case this wasn't what you wanted to know, feel free to clarify. Smile

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 Expansion install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW, Site navigation & Support, if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum topic!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.
Male Posts : 16059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum