Can I run Sonic Gather Forces on a VM?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can I run Sonic Gather Forces on a VM?

Post by Kanji on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 19:00

Okay, so I was recommended a video about the fan game Sonic Gather Battle, formerly called SonicVsLF2. It talked about some messed up DRM system that ruins your PC's registry. Now, the game itself seems pretty cool, without the messed up DRM, but it accesses registry keys and needs raw disk access so I thought I'd try to get some advice here, so if I use a vpn and a vm should it be safe, if not recommend me software please - I like my PC.

Kanji
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Mirror's Edge Catalyst, SAB2, Most Sims Games.
Female Posts : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can I run Sonic Gather Forces on a VM?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 01:42

@Kanji wrote:Okay, so I was recommended a video about the fan game Sonic Gather Battle, formerly called SonicVsLF2. It talked about some messed up DRM system that ruins your PC's registry. Now, the game itself seems pretty cool, without the messed up DRM, but it accesses registry keys and needs raw disk access so I thought I'd try to get some advice here, so if I use a vpn and a vm should it be safe, if not recommend me software please - I like my PC.

You "can" run almost anything on a virtual machine setup...provided you have a strong-enough PC (a strong CPU plus 12-16 GB of RAM, would be my recommendation). I myself only used VM software once (the name was "Virtualbox" if I remember correctly), and that was try emulate a Mac OS system on my Windows system...

As for this game, I found this here, incidentally:
http://crappy-games.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Gather_Battle_DRM_Incident

Wiki wrote:The creator claimed that they had plans to make the game open-source but other sources say otherwise including an update on December 14th blocking access to the game if attempted on a virtual machine.

At that point you'd have to test it yourself, if it lets you even run the application, on a virtual machine. From what I am reading though, that does not sound good at all - I mean, the entire thing with the DRM and possible data-mining and so forth. I don't think any video game would be worth my time and effort to go through the loops of running it through a VM. But maybe that's just my perspective and me also getting older (and having less time in general to mess with these things).

Edit: topic moved to "Gamerlounge", since the (possible) ensuing discussion will be more about the actual game rather than VM software.

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 Expansion install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW, Site navigation & Support, if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum topic!

The_gh0stm4n
VETERAN Moderator
Inspector General & Forum O.G.
VETERAN Moderator Inspector General & Forum O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.
Male Posts : 16059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum