Can only play the last installed expansion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can only play the last installed expansion.

Post by yorkman on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 03:46

I've installed Sims 3, Pets and Showtime (in this order) but whenever try to play Pets it launches the Launcher and starts the Showtime. Can I not choose to play Pets OR Showtime? Only way I can get Pets to work is by uninstalling Showtime.

The Launcher doesn't show any expansions installed nor does it give me a selection of what expansions to install.

I've followed the Sims 3 fix (# Installation Guide.pdf) to the letter and Showtime works fine, but I cant get any previously installed expansions (ie Pets) to start.

yorkman
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can only play the last installed expansion.

Post by Aɾყα on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 09:05

Hello,

Actually you can. The expansions aren't played separately, when they're installed, they're integrated with the rest of the game.
When you launch the game, you're simply looking at the newest expansions' loadingscreen but your towns will have pets as well as Showtime features.

"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"

Aɾყα
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female Posts : 15105

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkman on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 16:06

I find it confusing that

1) I still have the separate shortcuts, ie towns, showtime, pets, etc.
2) whenever i start the game it always shows it's loading Showtime

Also, my kids have a bunch of saved games from when playing pets. But after installing showtime and loading the game it doesn't see their saved games, and I don't see an option to try loading either. Do games saved in previous expansions not work in expansions installed later? I went to the documents/settings folder and i could see all their saved games still there.

yorkman
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 16:55

Hello,

Let me try to clear it up for you;

1. Those are just there for the show, it's nothing special and actually you only need 1 icon. Because, as you might have noticed, it doesn't matter which icon you click, it'll always open the same The Sims 3 launcher, right? That's because there is only one launcher and one game.
The only game you have is the base game. Whenever you install an expansion pack, it won't be a whole separate game, it'll just add the new features of the expansion pack to your existing game. So all your savegames and other stuff will still remain in the game, but the new expansions' features are also available now.
2. The game shows the icon of the latest released expansion that is actually installed on your PC. For example, if you have the base game and Late Night, it'll show the Late Night icon. If you now add Pets, the game will show the Pets icon. Why? Because Pets was released later than Late Night, so it's newer. Now, if you also add Showtime, it'll show the Showtime icon, because that one is newer than Pets. Finally - I hope I'm not confusing you - if you remove Late Night now, it'll still show the Showtime icon, since that one is still the latest/newest installed expansion.

I hope this clears up. If not, don't hesitate to let us know!

//EDIT

Ps. In order to use those previous saves, you should open the corresponding world in-game and you should see your saves there.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19211

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum