Would this be safe to do? (I'm losing my mind over this I really need help)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would this be safe to do? (I'm losing my mind over this I really need help)

Post by reggaelizard on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 06:50

Last Wednesday I installed the Reloaded version of The Sims 3 and a bunch of expansions (Generations, Town Life Stuff, Ambitions, Late Night and Outdoor Living Stuff), then I updated my game to 1.42 with the manual patch and then installed Pets and everything went fine. If I'm not mistaken, I used cracks from the Ultimate Fix. The following day I tried to install Diesel Stuff and High End Loft Stuff and the game wouldn't even open, so I figured reinstalling everything would fix it – but I tried 17 times with several different methods (following the Ultimate Fix guide step by step, cracks from the expansion folders, installing then replacing, adding files to the bin then installing, using a different version of the game, updating first, updating when I was done with everything save for Pets, installing Town Life first, installing Generations first, cracking before replacing, replacing Info.plist with the one from Reloaded, turning it off and on again, you name it) and I encountered an error every single time: either 'unknown error occurred' (deleting my Sims 3 preferences didn't work), debug thingy or icon bouncing over and over in the dock and then closing.

Anyway, since I couldn't find any guides that helped me, I decided to look at my files and figure out if anything might have changed from the first installation to the others, and found some files in mac/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 that look like this:

I opened one of them and these two lines came to my attention:

[Instruction data]
905bd5e0 => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

I searched DasmX86Dll.dll and there is no such file in my computer.

Then I found some files that had been either created or modified around the time I tried to install more expansions and messed everything up:

(this one was in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/DCCache)

I was wondering if deleting them and then reinstalling everything would be any help. I could try backing my entire Sims 3 documents folder up just in case; has anyone done that? How did it go?

reggaelizard
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Would this be safe to do? (I'm losing my mind over this I really need help)

Post by antiskub on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 07:10

You can delete the whole Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder; it will create a new one for you the next time the game loads. These files are generated by the game and have no bearing on the nuts and bolts of the base game itself. It's where you saves and CC and mods go, so what you can do is rename the folder (like, from The Sims 3 to The Sime 3 OLDVERSION), or move it to the desktop as a backup from which you can copy your saved games into the new folder that is created.

There's a nice guide on how to delete your caches on this website. If you decide to do a reinstall, make sure to check out the Preferences folder section here:
http://bluebellflora.com/ts3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac-2

antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Favourite games : Curse of Monkey Island, SimCity 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reggaelizard on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 07:18

Thanks immensely! I'm already doing a reinstall (actually a retorrent, restuffitexpand and re.dmg just in case) so that's gonna come in really handy.

If I want my saved games and Sims back when I have it up and working, do I just copy all the files from Saves, SavedSims and SavedOutfits into the new documents folder or is there anything else I have to do?

reggaelizard
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antiskub on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 07:30

Nope that's all!
antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Favourite games : Curse of Monkey Island, SimCity 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum