C is almost full. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

C is almost full. [SOLVED]

Post by elisabethkuijtt on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 14:40

Hi I only have to install seasons. I have all the other ep´s. But my problem is that I have only 3 GB left in disk C. Can I just install seasons in disk D on my computer?

Last edited by elisabethkuijtt on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 13:12; edited 1 time in total

elisabethkuijtt
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : the sims 3
Female Posts : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: C is almost full. [SOLVED]

Post by Adwomin on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 21:01

//MOVED
Hello,

Yes, no problem at all!
Just choose "Typical" during the installation and choose a different location to install it in.

Good luck and please let us know the result!

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series
Female Posts : 19210

View user profile https://www.games4theworld.org

Back to top Go down

Post by hexorcist on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 22:05

Installing to another drive is an excellent thing to do. It removes any issues that you may have with DEP since it's outside of the Program Files directory, and if you ever have to format you will not be forced to reinstall (you would just have to reset the registry values). I highly recommend installing all games and expansion packs on another drive Smile

Posting Master
Posting Master

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Mass Effect series
Male Posts : 544

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 22:37

@hexorcist wrote:Installing to another drive is an excellent thing to do. It removes any issues that you may have with DEP since it's outside of the Program Files directory, and if you ever have to format you will not be forced to reinstall (you would just have to reset the registry values). I highly recommend installing all games and expansion packs on another drive Smile
Hello,

But the problem with that is that your PC won't recognize the game as a separately installed game.
You'd have to go very deep into the Registry if you want to fix that. I do not recommend that at all.

If you format your PC, it's highly recommended to just re-install the games, just to be sure.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : GTA Series, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, Borderlands series

Back to top Go down

Post by hexorcist on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 23:14

Admin wrote:
@hexorcist wrote:Installing to another drive is an excellent thing to do. It removes any issues that you may have with DEP since it's outside of the Program Files directory, and if you ever have to format you will not be forced to reinstall (you would just have to reset the registry values). I highly recommend installing all games and expansion packs on another drive Smile
Hello,

But the problem with that is that your PC won't recognize the game as a separately installed game.
You'd have to go very deep into the Registry if you want to fix that. I do not recommend that at all.

If you format your PC, it's highly recommended to just re-install the games, just to be sure.

If you install to another drive, the Uninstaller will still know where it's located. After a format if you put the registry keys back in then you're right - the Installer Service will not know that there are multiple games in that location so they won't show up in Add/Remove Programs as different games - and it's not that deep into the registry, it wouldn't be hard to re-add those values, however, this isn't needed. We all know that when you uninstall an application the data isn't usually properly removed anyway and this causes more issues than it's worth, which is evident by the number of people who have issues after reinstalling because of data that wasn't removed by the Uninstaller on this very forum (you guys are even pointing people to a 3rd party uninstaller). If you want to uninstall using this method it's very simple: remove the registry keys for that expansion that you added after the format and delete the folder where you had the game/expansion stored. Even if you didn't delete the folder the game would act as if the deleted content doesn't exist, as long as the registry values you added have been removed. Simple, and much more effective than using Microsoft's Installer Service - which has been shown on numerous occasions, and software suites to be ineffective and inefficient.

It's just a matter of opinion really, and my opinion is "why jump through hoops and spend hours installing and reinstalling hoping to get it right, when getting it right can be done in about 30 minutes manually, or 5 minutes with a tool."

Posting Master
Posting Master

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 23:27

@hexorcist wrote:
Admin wrote:
Hello,

If you install to another drive, the Uninstaller will still know where it's located. After a format if you put the registry keys back in then you're right - the Installer Service will not know that there are multiple games in that location so they won't show up in Add/Remove Programs as different games - and it's not that deep into the registry, it wouldn't be hard to re-add those values, however, this isn't needed. We all know that when you uninstall an application the data isn't usually properly removed anyway and this causes more issues than it's worth, which is evident by the number of people who have issues after reinstalling because of data that wasn't removed by the Uninstaller on this very forum (you guys are even pointing people to a 3rd party uninstaller). If you want to uninstall using this method it's very simple: remove the registry keys for that expansion that you added after the format and delete the folder where you had the game/expansion stored. Even if you didn't delete the folder the game would act as if the deleted content doesn't exist, as long as the registry values you added have been removed. Simple, and much more effective than using Microsoft's Installer Service - which has been shown on numerous occasions, and software suites to be ineffective and inefficient.

It's just a matter of opinion really, and my opinion is "why jump through hoops and spend hours installing and reinstalling hoping to get it right, when getting it right can be done in about 30 minutes manually, or 5 minutes with a tool."
Hi there,

Oh, I'm sorry, but you see, not everyone on this Forum is that technical. The reason this Forum exists is to make things easier.
If I'd want to explain an average person to go into the Registry and remove those strings manually... what would happen if they remove the wrong strings and I am blamed?
If you mean Your Uninstaller! Pro, it's indeed just a little tool too.

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by elisabethkuijtt on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 12:09

But do I have to make a map? Or just select D:/ Cause that won't work. I get the error: Can't install on D: because your pc is gonna be unstable. What do I do?

elisabethkuijtt
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by t2sink on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 15:18

D:\The Sims 3\Seasons or such is what I would do.

D: is a separate hardrive from C: right? But it still should be fine if you do what I say above.
t2sink
Godfather / First Lady
Godfather / First Lady

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Minecraft, RPG World Online, AoE 2/3, Command And Conquer, SimCity, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, MW2/MW3, Halo Reach, Borderlands, Halo 4
Male Posts : 1079

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Tue 11 Dec 2012, 20:51

Hello,

Yes, it's best to make a different folder for each game.
For example: D:\The Sims 3\The Sims 3 Seasons and D:\The Sims 3\The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff (Just examples)

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by hexorcist on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 06:05

I agree with Admin - and that's how I have mine set up.

[base game] G:\The Sims 3
[seasons] G:\The Sims 3\Seasons
[supernatural] G:\The Sims 3\Supernatural
etc

Works very well for me Smile

Posting Master
Posting Master

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by elisabethkuijtt on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 13:12

Thanks! It finally worked! Very Happy I love you guys

elisabethkuijtt
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adwomin on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 22:07

Hello,

Glad to hear your game is working fine now!
Enjoy playing and please let us know if you need more assistance!

~ Nobody's gril. ~
Adwomin
free society
free society

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum