A few issues all ending in crashing...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A few issues all ending in crashing...

Post by renonex on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 13:16

So I recently had trouble with my game after installing Supernatural and Seasons, I renamed The Sims 3 folder in Documents folder and it created a new set and the game worked.

Then I went back and added the NoIntro mod, solely to speed up the initial loading process and also a few bits of CC, namely a Mac laptop, a motorbike parking space, some cars and a couple of windows. Game still loads fine.

The only problem now is the same issues I've had Pre-SuperSeasons. Which is in CAS sometimes it'll load up just a black silhouette and eyes and then crash or a black and green triangle person and still also crash. This was crazily annoying before as I was a stylist and obviously CAS loaded up a lot and so this bug happened a lot.

I've also got one where around the hour mark, it'll sometimes crash unexpectedly. Like, without warning. He'll be eating cereal and it may crash. He'll be in a park and it may crash, etc. It's getting really annoying as I don't want to have to be constantly saving every time I click to do something.

I highly doubt that it's CC related, there's got to be another reason for it. Also to save time... I used the Ultimate Fix, followed the instructions 100%, the crack's been applied and this time round I was able to update the game from the launcher, NOT the manual patch.

renonex
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A few issues all ending in crashing...

Post by antiskub on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 17:55

Updating from the launcher isn't entirely advisable; half the time us Mac people get an unknown error doing so. But, hey if it worked for you that's good.

CAS errors are notorious for Mac people. The emulator (cider) that EA uses to make our game playable on Mac is highly unstable in this area. You can install a helpful compatibility tool called XQuartz here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

It's free and it will help your game run smoother. I know from personal experience that it made my CAS process much faster, and no more diamonds-sim!

Out of curiosity, what OS version are you running?
antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

Favourite games : Curse of Monkey Island, SimCity 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by renonex on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:01

antiskub wrote:Updating from the launcher isn't entirely advisable; half the time us Mac people get an unknown error doing so. But, hey if it worked for you that's good.

CAS errors are notorious for Mac people. The emulator (cider) that EA uses to make our game playable on Mac is highly unstable in this area. You can install a helpful compatibility tool called XQuartz here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

It's free and it will help your game run smoother. I know from personal experience that it made my CAS process much faster, and no more diamonds-sim!

Out of curiosity, what OS version are you running?

Yeah, usually I got the error when updating from the launcher, but this time I got lucky!

With XQuartz, what exactly does it do? Like, is it constantly active in the background or do I have to start it each time I go to play on the Sims? A bit cautious when it comes to downloading random programmes!

I'm running 10.8.2

renonex
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antiskub on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:13

After installation you would need to reboot your computer in order to enable it, but that's the most investment you will need in running it. It automatically runs in the background; think of it like a double layer of cider (the Mac emulator Sims 3 runs on) that helps your graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQuartz
antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by renonex on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:17

antiskub wrote:After installation you would need to reboot your computer in order to enable it, but that's the most investment you will need in running it. It automatically runs in the background; think of it like a double layer of cider (the Mac emulator Sims 3 runs on) that helps your graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQuartz

Okay, I shall give it a try and see if there's any improvements.

Seems that either Supernatural or Seasons has brought a load of bugs with it!

renonex
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antiskub on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:23

I would venture to say both SuperSeasons AND the 1.42 patch. We are being treated like second-class simcitizens!!!!
antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by renonex on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:25

We are! I installed the games for my sister on her Windows laptop, never has a problem. Except that the laptop isn't a Mac...
But me? After 2 hours of play this morning I was still exactly where I left off last night because of the crashes!

renonex
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antiskub on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:31

Along with Xquartz, which helps a bunch but doesn't solve the inherent problem, you can always do the little bandage fixes that many Mac users do to improve performance:

1. delete old saves you don't need / clean up your files
2. minimize amount of CC & mods / not use non-EA CC
3. making sure you have enough space on your drive
4. closing background applications while playing
5. playing offline / disabling simport options + memories
6. running with graphic options set to LOW when in CAS
7. disabling werewolves, pets, etc. in the options menu
antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by renonex on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:35

antiskub wrote:Along with Xquartz, which helps a bunch but doesn't solve the inherent problem, you can always do the little bandage fixes that many Mac users do to improve performance:

Pretty much have all of that covered already, though been meaning to disabled memories again. Also Pets is one of the main expansions I play for!

renonex
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by antiskub on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 18:38

renonex wrote:
antiskub wrote:Along with Xquartz, which helps a bunch but doesn't solve the inherent problem, you can always do the little bandage fixes that many Mac users do to improve performance:

Pretty much have all of that covered already, though been meaning to disabled memories again. Also Pets is one of the main expansions I play for!

Okay good Smile

Yeah just whichever types of additional Sim-people you don't use. When they added those shiny big sparkly fairy wings in to the game my CAS would just laugh at me.
antiskub
Posting Lord
Posting Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum