Unable to open worlds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unable to open worlds

Post by ThesmallEvers on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 00:58

Hello!

I have recently downloaded all of the Sims 3 and expansions with the ultimate fix and didn't have any problems that same day. Now, the next time I go to start the game, I run into no difficulties until I go to open my saved game. It get an error saying that there has been a serious error and that the world could not be opened, and to restart the application. This happens when I attempt to create a new game as well. Any suggestions? I reapplied the fix and am still having these difficulties.

ThesmallEvers
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unable to open worlds

Post by hexorcist on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 01:06

The game isn't able to open some files because they're locked by another process. It could be caused by your antivirus or various other things. Here are some possible solutions:

- Turn off virus scanner while playing the game. Optionally and depending on your scanner, add the My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder to the "Exception List" so it won't be scanned.

- Go into My Documents, right click on "Electronic Arts" make sure that there isn't a checkmark on "Read Only" at the bottom. Click Apply. If a box pops up asking if you only want to apply the settings to that folder, click on the bottom radio button (should say "Apply to folder, all files and subdirectories" or something along those lines), then click OK

- WHILE NOT PLAYING THE GAME!! Go into My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.sims3 and delete any file that may be in there (it's stale, so it's safe to delete)

- Make sure all instances of Windows Explorer ("File Explorer" in Win8) are closed before running the game.

Posting Master
Posting Master

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Mass Effect series
Male Posts : 544

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unable to open worlds

Post by Aɾყα on Tue 25 Dec 2012, 12:41

Hello,

A side question: Are you by any chance running the game in compatibility mode?

"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"

Aɾყα
Forum Administratrix
First Lady of the Forum
Forum Administratrix First Lady of the Forum

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)