War Z

View previous topic View next topic Go down

War Z

Post by kenku on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 10:44

So from surfing the internet yesterday, I came across a new game for pc, via steam called War Z, on the website Gamespot. I read the comments and people were unanimously, and I say that strongly, angry with the game. They compared it to a game called Day Z, which is coming out with a stand alone Day Z. That is one of the controversies right there. A lot of people thought that War Z was the stand alone of Day Z. They were wrong.
That I will blame on the people because they didn't take time to read the description of the game to make sure it was the same thing. Also, for all the stand alone games i've come across on steam, it will have the words "stand alone" in the title somewhere. I am not here to talk about the controversy though. I am here to ask if anyone has played this game or has followed this game. [Note: I watched a video on Gamestop that was streamed and recorded on Jan. 7th 2013. It was 1hr30ish minutes long of them playing the game first hand to check it out] I am all about zombie games and was interested in the game. The first thing they said in the video was that there is pvp mechanics. PvP means Player versus Player combat. I.E. I can kill you in game if I want. With pvp comes "meanies" who will farm, continuously repeat and action, humans, safezones, and gun locations. That right there already turns me off to the game. A solution for many games have like this have been that they will add PvP servers and Non-PvP servers so everyone can choose if they want to worry about another player just coming up and killing them cause they can. That is at least the most common solution I have seen but not the only solution to that problem.
So I remember 4 green bars on their pc screen and one outline of your character with filled in red equalling your current health. I was able to deduce that one bar was for visibility, towards zombies only. It had an eyeball icon and the green bar would empty when crouched or fill up when not. Stealth is the word I was looking for. That is awesome and I loved the idea. Although, the visibility range of the zombie seemed to be too low. I know in game distance may say 10yards when it looks like yards away and I never liked that. I didn't notice a bar for making too much noise nor did zombies react to the guy in a bushy area walk crouched at max speed.
They also reacted to your flashlight which you start the game with. So did other players. You could only holster, put away, your flashlight but not turn it off which makes me wonder if they have or will have a night and day mechanic to the game. I didn't see that happen in the gameplay video. They had a hydration meter as well as a stamina meter. I didn't get the chance to see anyone dehydrate cause they would be killed by a player fast.
I should've gave a bit more information about this game earlier. I guess I should say that for this game you get 5 character slots. You make one enter the game with your flashlight and i think a bandage or two maybe some pain pills. You go and kill zombies and scavenge for supplies. If you die you lose all your stuff upon death and that character has an hour long colldown on them before you can use them again. Your character can gain skills and those will not reset when you die. Also you can collect money in the game and purchase items that you can start with from the log in menu. The cheapest knife I seen was for 6500 dollars. In game I seen them pick up about 3 counts of 65 dollars each time. Thats not much but they were noobs to the game and were not playing to win but playing to do a video review. Also you can spend real life money to purchase items as well. Another thing is that I noticed if you died on a server you couldn't return to that same server with another character. I assume you can later return to that server once the character in that server is revived after the hour.
So if I didn't say it yet, the zombies seemed boring. You could take your flashlight, or any other melee weapon, and hit the zombie while backpedaling, walking backwards, from the zombie. Later they were told that if you just hit the zombie fast enough they can't hit you back because they are being stunned. The latter is boring but awesome. I also seen a guy doing that to one zombie get overwhelmed by other zombies who came up behind him. The zombies were slow too. None of them ran. So you could potentially just outrun and outmanuver any amount of zombies it seemed.
You could aquire guns but ammo seemed limited which was a plus. It is a zombie apocolypse afterall. Okay so we got easy zombies, mean players, and an interesting character cooldown mechanic. Doesn't seem too awesome a game. So I had some of my own ideas. For PvP, or more specifically Player Killers,PK's, if they kill a human from any distance they should get a status called, we'll say bloodied. Now zombies will smell you. I think it should go away after a long time. Also there should be either a special type of zombie that will hunt by just the smell of blood or zombie dogs that will hunt you all the same. The zombies themselves should have a random agressive level to them that changes over time, mood swings if you will lol. Also there should be herds of zombies that roam the map, which is a really big map.
Now for a scenario. Here comes a zombie herd. Among those zombies are some that will move faster than others depending on their level of agressivness, and may stray from the pack, and zome zombies are extra hungry and will have heightened sight, hearing, and smell. Just cause you don't have blood on you doesn't mean you don't smell tasty. Okay so a herd is coming and you have hide. You take refuge into a small one story strip-motel. Someone else follows you in there. We shall say there is a survival mechanic and a strength mechanic. You both meet the requirements to notice thata desk is in the room and you can barricade the door. Next to the door is a window about 6ft long. You also noticed that there are blinds and you want them lowered and closed. Since there is a herd nearby you are in an event and certain things will be promptedduring this event depending on you skill levels. We will throw in the perception skill, which will correlate with survival. Some of the zombies are banging at the door cause you've been smelled. Now the other person in the room has the same skills and skill levels you have so at the same time you are prompted that there is a vent that you could climb in. It will only fit one person though. So now what do you do. You can try to struggle with the other person to see if you get in there without getting bloodied up but that's 50/50 since you have the same stats. You happen to have a knife and you could wound the guy or kill him and take refuge in the vent. Doing either will get blood on you but killing will make it last longer. You wound the guy in the leg and take refuge. Yay you survived a herd but now you hearing howling and it's night time.
Something like that would be epic. So this game has me interested with the fact there are zombies even though it's mediocre at best. Now I heard the game Day Z had bleeding in it. I've played games with bleeding in it and sometimes it was just annoying and ruined the experience for me. I also think Day Z or War Z is a book. So once again I ask if anyone has followed War Z or is following it, played either games, or just likes zombies and has an idea or scenario they'd like to share. I'd love to here those.

Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Always growing. Recently Mortal Kombat 360
Male Posts : 58

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: War Z

Post by ForumSpy on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 23:57

I'll make this short and simple. Don't buy the game. My reasons are as follows

1) Banning accounts randomly.
- One of my friends was banned for no reason. He wasn't a hacker either.
2) Horrible support team.
- I stopped playing for roughly 3 weeks to 5 weeks and came back to found out that my email and password were invalid, even after resetting the password through site services.
- I sent a support ticket, never got a response, even after a week.
- Now I can't play the game because it's as if I never registered, even though I have proof I bought the game.
3) Hackers dominate the game. The hacks they use pretty much spell out the location of every player. You'd be lucky to find a game without a hacker.
4) When a character dies you have to wait around 5 hours from what I heard to use the character again. When I played it was 1 hour.
5) Server hoppers. There is nothing preventing this from what I've seen, and they can appear in the best locations randomly and kill you just like that. Defeats the purpose of surviving.

My thoughs? Just wait for DayZ standalone. No longer will I invest in a game (that has potential) that is run by a money hungry, high and mighty, ignorant development and support team.

ForumSpy
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: War Z

Post by t2sink on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 05:24

I read something that people were sending e-mails to the developers regarding their banned account, using e-mails not even tied to an account. a copy+paste response was giving why their account attached to the e-mail used was banned, not that you e-mail isn't tied to any account.
t2sink
Godfather / First Lady
Godfather / First Lady

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Minecraft, RPG World Online, AoE 2/3, Command And Conquer, SimCity, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, MW2/MW3, Halo Reach, Borderlands, Halo 4
Male Posts : 1079

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum